On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- Refractory Period

User avatar
hemm
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 am

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby hemm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:24 am

PT34: 93 / 175. -1 RC, -4 LR, -3 LG.

Same as before. I'm obviously missing something that I need to improve on.

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby doinmybest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 am

Well looks like I might be back for a 4th try! I really want to get off Stanford's WL and... it goes against all my instincts to take this test a 4th time when I am already in at T10s with $$... this sucks. BTW has there been any analysis on those new tricky LR sections we were blessed with in June & Sept 2009? Did they show up on Dec & Feb 2009? What section trends are we moving towards nowadays?

User avatar
Intersect2.0
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby Intersect2.0 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:06 pm

PT 31

LG: -3 (+1 minute 18 seconds)
LR: -4
LR: -0
RC: -0

Score: 176

Still need to get faster on those logic games, but I'm hoping that lots of PTs will do the trick. Any other suggestions? Time is not a factor on any other section, BTW (ranging -4 minutes to -10 minutes).

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby Knock » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:52 pm

Took PT 48 today, went -1 LR -0 LG -0 RC -1 LR for 99 raw 178 scaled. The LG was untimed (aka, taking me about 5 minutes longer due to misinterpreting a rule).

Summary:
48 -- 04/28/10 ----- -1 LR -0 LG -0 RC -1 LR ------ 99/178 ----- 5 sections (exp. PT18.2 as 3rd section) untimed LG

User avatar
nids333
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby nids333 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:40 am

Just took practice test 43 ( -9 RC, -5 LR, -0 LG 87/167)

I'm pretty disappointed about my reading comprehension score, my performance on this section is inconsistent.
We still have a month left, so hopefully I can improve significantly in that section.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby Knock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Took PT 30 today. I had already seen a lot of this material when I was first learning the LSAT sections, except for the RC section. I had also seen the LG material more recently from practicing extra games. I went -0 LG -1 LR (-0 RC on "experimental" section, taken from PT 18.3) -2 RC -0 LR for 98/180. Obviously i'm not really counting this score as legit, and am taking it with a huge grain of salt. But at least it shows that i've learned a lot of the concepts/ideas. I have 10 PT's left (I think...is June 2007 not included in PT #'s 49-59?; if it is not included, then I have 11 PT's). However, since I still have a solid month left, i'm going to spend the rest of this week and next week to go through and take most of the PT's in the 30 range, as well as some in the teens (as experimentals). Then with about 3 weeks until the June test, i'll take the last 10 (or 11?) PT's, doing maybe 4 a week? and doing them completely legit, fully timed, 5 sections, with a 15 minute break in the middle.

Anyways, here's the summary for today"
30 -- 04/29/10 ----- -0 LG -1 LR -2 RC -0 LR ------ 98/180 ----- 5 sections, 18.3 as 3rd experimental, re-used q's, e/x RC

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby Knock » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:06 am

nids333 wrote:Just took practice test 43 ( -9 RC, -5 LR, -0 LG 87/167)

I'm pretty disappointed about my reading comprehension score, my performance on this section is inconsistent.
We still have a month left, so hopefully I can improve significantly in that section.


Definitely! A month is a lot of time, and if you can get your RC misses in half, you'll have a great score!

User avatar
LawLucy
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 am

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby LawLucy » Sun May 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Knockglock wrote:Study Log
My Practice Tests:
Pt#____Date__________Individual Sections____Raw /Scaled Score_______________Notes___________________
36 -- 02/27/10 ------ -6 LR -3 RC -7 LR -3 LG ------82/165 --- Free Kaplan Test, finished LG bible by exam, 5 sections
19 -- 03/24/10 ---- -2 LG -4 LR -4 RC -2 LR ------- 89/170 ---- most of LR Bible done, rusty on games, 4 sections
20 -- 03/25/10 ----- -4 LR -1 RC -4 LG -2 LR ------- 90/171 ---- missed last 3 on 4th LG due to extremely hard game
21 -- 03/30/10 ----- -4 LG -6 LR -2 LR -3 RC ------ 86/169 ----- 4 sections, felt off, disappointing, first PT to drop
22 -- 03/31/10 ----- -2 RC -4 LR -0 LG -4 LR ------ 91/172 ----- 4 sections, nearly bombed LG, LR dragging me down
23 -- 04/01/10 ----- -6 LG -4 LR -4 LR -4 RC ------ 82/168 ----- ran out of time on LG (2 q's), took at 9pm (noise + tired)
24 -- 04/03/10 ----- -2 RC -3 LR -2 LR -6 LG ------ 88/171 ---- 4 sections, bombed last LG (missed 5/6)
25 -- 04/05/10 ----- -0 RC -2 LR -9 LG -2 LR ------ 88/169 ---- 4 sections, bombed 2nd lg (0/7), hardest LG ever
26 -- 04/07/10 ----- -2 LG -5 LR -5 LR -2 RC ------ 87/170 ---- 4 sections, LR holding me back this time
27 -- 04/08/10 ----- -2 LR -1 LG -4 RC -4 LR ------ 90/174 ---- 4 sections, 5 extra minutes on LG! Artificially high score
28 -- 04/09/10 ----- -3 LR -2 LG -2 LR -0 RC ------ 94/175 ---- untimed on 1st LR section, all else timed, 4 sections
SpA- 04/12/10 ----- -0 LR -2 RC -1 LG -1 LR ------ 97/177 ---- SuperPrep A, untimed LG, 4 sections
SpB- 04/13/10 ----- -5 LR -3 LG -3 RC -0 LR ------ 90/173 ---- SuperPrep B, untimed LG, 4 sections
SpC- 04/14/10 ----- -5 LG -2 LR -1 LR -1 RC ------ 92/174 ---- SuperPrep C, untimed LG, 4 sections
40 -- 04/15/10 ----- -2 LR -1 LG -1 LR -2 RC ------ 95/174 ---- 4 sections, fully timed
43 -- 04/17/10 ----- -1 RC -2 LR -2 LR -0 LG ------ 96/177 ---- 4 sections, fully timed
44 -- 04/19/10 ----- -2 RC -3 LR -1 LG -1 LR ------ 93/173 ---- 4 sections, fully timed
45 -- 04/20/10 ----- -1 LR -0 RC -0 LG -3 LR ------ 95/178 ---- 4 sections, fully timed (did a 5th afterwards from PT41.1)
46 -- 04/21/10 ----- -1 RC -1 LR -0 LR -0 LG ------ 97/179 ---- 5 sections (exp. PT41.2 as 3rd section)
39 -- 04/22/10 ----- -3 LG -3 LR -1 RC -3 LR ------ 91/172 ---- 5 sections (exp. PT41.3 as 3rd section)
42 -- 04/23/10 ----- -2 LG -2 LR -2 RC -1 LR ------ 94/174 ---- 5 sections (exp. PT41.4 as 2nd section)
41 -- 04/20-4/10 --- -3 LR -1 LG -0 LR -4 RC ------ 93/174 ---- used as experimental section for PT's
47 -- 04/27/10 ----- -3 LR -2 RC -1 LR -0 LG ------ 94/174 ----- 5 sections (exp. PT18.1 as 1st section)
48 -- 04/28/10 ----- -1 LR -0 LG -0 RC -1 LR ------ 99/178 ----- 5 sections (exp. PT18.2 as 3rd section) untimed LG
30 -- 04/29/10 ----- -0 LG -1 LR -2 RC -0 LR ------ 98/180 ----- 5 sections, 18.3 as 3rd experimental, re-used q's, e/x RC



fascinating and great detail
couple of questions.:
1. how many hours a week do you / have you studied?
2. Do you work full-time?
3. When did you begin studying?

User avatar
nids333
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby nids333 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Knockglock wrote:
nids333 wrote:Just took practice test 43 ( -9 RC, -5 LR, -0 LG 87/167)

I'm pretty disappointed about my reading comprehension score, my performance on this section is inconsistent.
We still have a month left, so hopefully I can improve significantly in that section.


Definitely! A month is a lot of time, and if you can get your RC misses in half, you'll have a great score!



Thanks! I appreciate your support. I don't know anyone else taking the June LSAT, so this website/thread is motivating me. You're scores are great as well, and it seems like you have been putting forth a tremendous amount of effort.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby Knock » Sun May 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Took PT 31 last night. -1 LG -1 LR -1 LR -6 RC. Was doing good, before I bombed the RC section! My worst ever RC section, even worse than my diagnostic :lol: Think a lot of it was I was just tired, took it at 11pm after a long day and as the 4th section. Still...I think it was good for me to get humbled like this, and never let me forget just what the LSAT can do when you don't focus 100%.

I also finished PT 18 today, I had been using it as experimental sections.

31 -- 05/01/10 ----- -1 LG -1 LR -1 LR -6 RC ------ 92/174 ----- 5 sections, 18.4 as 4th experimental
18 -- 05/01/10 ----- -1 LG -4 LR -0 RC -3 LR ------ 93/175 ----- broken up and used as experimental tests

Anyways, i've been really busy lately. I need to review 4 PT's, PT 18, PT 30, PT 31 PT 48, so hopefully I can take care of that today.

fascinating and great detail
couple of questions.:
1. how many hours a week do you / have you studied?
2. Do you work full-time?
3. When did you begin studying?


No problem, happy to answer any questions people have.

1) I'm not sure exactly how many hours a week I have been putting in...I haven't been timing it. I think I have been averaging about 4 PT's a week + review lately, so probably 15-20 hours a week would be a good guess. This has definitely fluctuated a lot though. When I was going through the Bibles in February and March I only put in an hour or two tops a day. During finals week and near midterms, my studying hours also decreased substantially.
2) Nope, I am still in undergrad, so I have a bit of an advantage over people working full time.
3) I began studying at the end of January, around January 29/30th. I figured out I should take the June LSAT, looked at the calendar, saw there were only 4 months until June, and began the next day haha (I had already ordered the Powerscore Bibles a while ago).

If it helps anyone, when I first tried to take a practice LSAT test, over the last summer, I literally couldn't even finish the test. I had to give up on the first logic game question :lol:.

I posted this on another thread a few days ago, about whether 4 months is enough time to study. It has a little bit more detailed information on my study gameplan, i'm not sure if you're interested, but here it is anyways:
knockglock wrote:Plenty of time. When I first started about 3 months ago (nearly exactly to the day) I couldn't do any of the logic games (not an exaggeration). Now i'm averaging about 175 on timed 5 section practice tests, topping out at a 179 (and two 178). If you're interested in seeing my progression, check out my profile and go to the link in my signature. Short story, I'm guessing I would probably have scored in the 150's when I first start (didn't take my diagnostic until I had finished the LG Bible), after taking a month to go through the LG Bible and the first couple chapters of the LR Bible scored a diagnostic score of 165. After 2 months, and finishing the majority of the LR bible, I was averaging probably around 170. Now after month three my last 10 timed PT's or so are at a 175 average (although only half of those are 5 sections). I also took nearly 2 weeks off for finals week and the first few days of spring break without doing much studying for the LSAT, if any at all.

So yes, 4 months is enough time if you work hard, spend enough time, and do lots of PT's. If I were to start again knowing what I now know, I wouldn't worry at all about the various classifications given in the LG Bible, and go through it much quicker. I only did about an hour a day or maybe a little bit more. It also took me about a month to work through the LR Bible, and I probably spent an hour to two hours working on it a day. I would go through the Bibles much faster, then start putting questions, sections, and tests under my belt.


Thanks! I appreciate your support. I don't know anyone else taking the June LSAT, so this website/thread is motivating me. You're scores are great as well, and it seems like you have been putting forth a tremendous amount of effort.


No problem. We are in the same boat. I only know a person or two who is interested in grad school, mostly for my major but a couple for law school, and most of them aren't very serious about it. The people I know who are doing law school are shooting for a relatively low LSAT score, and aren't taking until October (the June LSAT is during my schools final week). This community has provided me a lot of information, support, and motivation, and I definitely want to be a contributor to those positive aspects of this site. Thanks :) I have the mind set right now that I might not be the smartest person taking the LSAT, but no one is going to out work me or study smarter than me! (I can be competitive at times so this helps me haha :lol:). But still, we are all in this together, and we can do it!

User avatar
LawLucy
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 am

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby LawLucy » Sun May 02, 2010 5:50 pm

No problem. We are in the same boat. I only know a person or two who is interested in grad school, mostly for my major but a couple for law school, and most of them aren't very serious about it. The people I know who are doing law school are shooting for a relatively low LSAT score, and aren't taking until October (the June LSAT is during my schools final week). This community has provided me a lot of information, support, and motivation, and I definitely want to be a contributor to those positive aspects of this site. Thanks :) I have the mind set right now that I might not be the smartest person taking the LSAT, but no one is going to out work me or study smarter than me! (I can be competitive at times so this helps me haha :lol:). But still, we are all in this together, and we can do it![/quote]


great tips. great words of advice. I don't know about anyone else, but it is refreshing to have someone be positive (not negative like some can be on this board) with encouragement. I have taken the GMAT and I can attest...the LSAT takes this to a whole new level. I am taking the LSAT in June and study 20-30 hours per week (with a full-time job)...not hitting where I want to be in LR and it is pissing me off. :cry:

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby Knock » Tue May 04, 2010 12:30 am

LawLucy wrote:great tips. great words of advice. I don't know about anyone else, but it is refreshing to have someone be positive (not negative like some can be on this board) with encouragement. I have taken the GMAT and I can attest...the LSAT takes this to a whole new level. I am taking the LSAT in June and study 20-30 hours per week (with a full-time job)...not hitting where I want to be in LR and it is pissing me off. :cry:


No problem! I can empathize, I feel the exact same way about LR as well. It feels like I take 2 steps forward, 1 step back, and I can't get consistent.

Do you mind if I ask why you are transitioning to law after getting your MBA and working for a few years? Just curious.

I woke up kind of late today (tiring weekend), and only had time to do the last 3 sections of a PT I was using as an experimental, PT 29. So i finished up the last 3 sections, and with already completing the 1st section, went -1 LR -2 RC -0 LG -3 LR for 95 raw 176 scaled. Still a bit disappointing, seeing as I've done a lot of these LR before. Oh well.

Summary:
29 -- 05/03/10 ----- -1 LR -2 RC -0 LG -3 LR ------ 95/176 ----- taken in 2 parts, 1st section and then last 3 sections

User avatar
nids333
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby nids333 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 am

Took practice test 45 yesterday. (-15 LR, -4 RC, -1 LG 82/166). I was inattentive during the last 9 questions in one of the logical reasoning sections and answered them all wrong. Focusing is essential, and for some reason this seems to be an issue during the last several questions. At least I improved on reading comprehension. However, there were some questions on this LR that I have practiced with before and I answered them wrong. Does this cause anyone else trouble? I can't seem to remember if the answer choice I selected is right, if if it was the wrong one I selected before, or a tempting answer choice, etc.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby Knock » Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 pm

Took PT 32 today.

Summary:
32 -- 05/04/10 ----- -0 LR -3 RC -0 LG -2 LR ------ 95/177 ----- 5 secions, with 16.1 as 3rd section experimental

User avatar
ocean
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby ocean » Wed May 05, 2010 2:17 pm

hey, buddy, fantastic trend and I am certain you will get a great score in that range. One thing I realize after 2.5 months of preparation is that the test is remarkably designed, once you have reached a certain level, it's very unlikely you will score unreasonably (>3 points) lower.

English is not my first language (Chinese is). I am having trouble with reading comprehension, very unstable, I usually miss around 4, but occasionally I miss 7 :shock: I have stabilized at 171 for 7 tests now, with few spikes to 174, which is 4 points lower than your current trend and the reading comprehension is clearly the causal section (my LG is 0, LR is around -3). The scary part is I don't have any problem reading the passage, each passage takes me from 3.5 to 4 minutes. It's highly possible that I have problem retaining the information or retaining the information in a coherent fashion. I don't really have any good solutions figured out, but I decided to instead of just reviewing, I need to really take it down to pieces. Any other suggestions from you will be greatly appreciated, or any feeling during the RC, do you feel confident? how many questions that you feel the urge to circle it and come back later if you have more time?

Do you think the LR is actually getting easier? People keep saying both LR and RC are getting harder, but the only thing getting more difficult in my opinion is how the questions are asked in RC, the passages are not notably harder. The wording style in recent LR is different from earlier tests, the composition is more cleaner, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, one more month, best luck to you and everybody who are really chasing the dream.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT

Postby honestabe84 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:33 pm

ocean wrote:hey, buddy, fantastic trend and I am certain you will get a great score in that range. One thing I realize after 2.5 months of preparation is that the test is remarkably designed, once you have reached a certain level, it's very unlikely you will score unreasonably (>3 points) lower.

English is not my first language (Chinese is). I am having trouble with reading comprehension, very unstable, I usually miss around 4, but occasionally I miss 7 :shock: I have stabilized at 171 for 7 tests now, with few spikes to 174, which is 4 points lower than your current trend and the reading comprehension is clearly the causal section (my LG is 0, LR is around -3). The scary part is I don't have any problem reading the passage, each passage takes me from 3.5 to 4 minutes. It's highly possible that I have problem retaining the information or retaining the information in a coherent fashion. I don't really have any good solutions figured out, but I decided to instead of just reviewing, I need to really take it down to pieces. Any other suggestions from you will be greatly appreciated, or any feeling during the RC, do you feel confident? how many questions that you feel the urge to circle it and come back later if you have more time?

Do you think the LR is actually getting easier? People keep saying both LR and RC are getting harder, but the only thing getting more difficult in my opinion is how the questions are asked in RC, the passages are not notably harder. The wording style in recent LR is different from earlier tests, the composition is more cleaner, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, one more month, best luck to you and everybody who are really chasing the dream.


First, I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say that it is unlikely that people will score >3 points lower once you get to a certain level. Scores fluctuate big time, especially on the real thing.

Second, don't be too discouraged with RC. Many (most?) people that have English as their first language don't get -4.

Third, there seems to be a pretty big divide as to whether or not LR gets easier/harder. I personally think LR stays the same, games get easier, and RC gets harder.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- [30 PT's down!]

Postby Knock » Wed May 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Woo hoo! officially have 30 PT's under my belt! Took me about 6 weeks to do 29, plus my earlier diagnostic.

Aiming to do about 15 more, and walk into the LSAT with 45 PT's or so completed. A little disappointed in my last few RC scores, -6 -0 -2 -3 -4. Definitely need to be more consistent.

Took PT 33 today, here's the summary:
33 -- 05/05/10 ----- -0 LR -4 RC -0 LR -1 LG ------ 96/178 ----- 5 sections, with 16.2 as 3rd section experimental

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- [30 PT's down!]

Postby Knock » Thu May 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Took PT 34 today.

Summary:
34 -- 05/06/10 ----- -0 RC -1 LR -2 LR -0 LG ------ 98/180 ----- 5 sections, with 16.3 as 3rd section experimental

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- [30+ PT's down!]

Postby redsox » Thu May 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Do you think adding a experimental section to practice tests is helpful, even when you obviously know which one it is? I feel like my only real issue with having one on the real thing will be the uncertainty.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- [30+ PT's down!]

Postby honestabe84 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:25 pm

redsox wrote:Do you think adding a experimental section to practice tests is helpful, even when you obviously know which one it is? I feel like my only real issue with having one on the real thing will be the uncertainty.


Yes, there is uncertainty, but you have to treat it like it actually counts. It is definitely necessary to add an experimental so that you can build stamina. On test day you might be exhausted, because you've only taken four section tests..

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- [30+ PT's down!]

Postby redsox » Thu May 06, 2010 9:26 pm

honestabe84 wrote:Yes, there is uncertainty, but you have to treat it like it actually counts. It is definitely necessary to add an experimental so that you can build stamina. On test day you might be exhausted, because you've only taken four section tests..


Idk. I get better as I go on practice tests. I usually get the majority of my wrong answers on the first two sections. Not too worried about stamina.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- [30+ PT's down!]

Postby honestabe84 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:06 pm

redsox wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:Yes, there is uncertainty, but you have to treat it like it actually counts. It is definitely necessary to add an experimental so that you can build stamina. On test day you might be exhausted, because you've only taken four section tests..


Idk. I get better as I go on practice tests. I usually get the majority of my wrong answers on the first two sections. Not too worried about stamina.



I just think that you want to replicate the test the best you can. To each his own I guess.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- [30+ PT's down!]

Postby Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 12:56 am

redsox wrote:Do you think adding a experimental section to practice tests is helpful, even when you obviously know which one it is? I feel like my only real issue with having one on the real thing will be the uncertainty.


In my opinion, the 5th section doesn't really seem to affect my scores. But there are still a few reason why I've been doing 5 sections. Rhythm/focus is pretty important in the LSAT, and it's good to throw in a section from a different PT to mess and disrupt your rhythm. Especially if your experimental section is decently older than the PT you're taking. It also gets you comfortable with weird set ups, such as 3 LR sections in a row (which happened today), with taking 5 section tests in general, and with the 3 section, 15 min break, 2 section set up of the test. You also to see more material in your studies too. To a small extent too, I think the stamina benefits come into play as well. Overall, I would say it's probably worth it, but it's definitely not going to make or break your score.

hey, buddy, fantastic trend and I am certain you will get a great score in that range. One thing I realize after 2.5 months of preparation is that the test is remarkably designed, once you have reached a certain level, it's very unlikely you will score unreasonably (>3 points) lower.

English is not my first language (Chinese is). I am having trouble with reading comprehension, very unstable, I usually miss around 4, but occasionally I miss 7 :shock: I have stabilized at 171 for 7 tests now, with few spikes to 174, which is 4 points lower than your current trend and the reading comprehension is clearly the causal section (my LG is 0, LR is around -3). The scary part is I don't have any problem reading the passage, each passage takes me from 3.5 to 4 minutes. It's highly possible that I have problem retaining the information or retaining the information in a coherent fashion. I don't really have any good solutions figured out, but I decided to instead of just reviewing, I need to really take it down to pieces. Any other suggestions from you will be greatly appreciated, or any feeling during the RC, do you feel confident? how many questions that you feel the urge to circle it and come back later if you have more time?

Do you think the LR is actually getting easier? People keep saying both LR and RC are getting harder, but the only thing getting more difficult in my opinion is how the questions are asked in RC, the passages are not notably harder. The wording style in recent LR is different from earlier tests, the composition is more cleaner, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, one more month, best luck to you and everybody who are really chasing the dream.


Thank you for the kind words :) With a month left, you can definitely make significant improvements and tackle the RC beast.

For RC, I would recommend really underlining and bracketing the passage, it really breaks down the passage. I think one of the most important things for RC is coming up with your feeling about that particular passage. You have to really stick to your guns on this...because you will be tested on it by probably half of the questions on every passage. You'll get asked questions that are too strong or too weak, but you must stick with your original appraisal, and stay consistent with that fine line you have decided upon. You have to trust yourself that you interpreted the passage correctly. Carefully read the stem and make sure you know whose viewpoint is being asked for (and obviously recognize different viewpoints, and who holds them). Pay careful attention to the first and last paragraph, particularly the last sentence, which can sometimes change the entire tone of the passage. Know the tone of the author, pay attention to words that clue you in on the author's opinion. Pay attention to subtlety and nuance.

There are usually 2-3 that i'm not pretty certain about and circle and try and come back to later.

As for LR, I still haven't done the 11 most recent PT's, but my general feeling is that they got more polished and precise the more recent you go. The older ones aren't necessarily harder, bu they aren't nearly as refined, and it seems like LSAC was still trying to develop the LR sections. Now they seem more polished and deliberate.

Hope that helped, let me know if that didn't make much sense or wasn't too helpful, I'm pretty tired as I write this.

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- [30+ PT's down!]

Postby jr1886 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Knockglock, I been following your post lately and I admire you dedication to the LSAT. I thought i was too obsessed with preparing for this test, seeing how hard you been working i don't feel too bad.

I'm taking in October and i already finished both LR & LG bible. I'm now doing section by section practice of LR. In PT 25, I found the second LR to be considerably harder than the first one.Yet, Looking at your PT 25 results, it seems you had a good and balance performance on both sections. Can you tell me what question numbers did you miss if you don't mind in PT25. In PT 25 LR1 today, I missed questions 5,10,13,21 and in LR2 i missed 8,12,14,16,18,22,23,26.
And, how you go about it when you have a bad section like I did today?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: On Track for the June 2010 LSAT -- [30+ PT's down!]

Postby Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 6:33 pm

jr1886 wrote:Knockglock, I been following your post lately and I admire you dedication to the LSAT. I thought i was too obsessed with preparing for this test, seeing how hard you been working i don't feel too bad.

I'm taking in October and i already finished both LR & LG bible. I'm now doing section by section practice of LR. In PT 25, I found the second LR to be considerably harder than the first one.Yet, Looking at your PT 25 results, it seems you had a good and balance performance on both sections. Can you tell me what question numbers did you miss if you don't mind in PT25. In PT 25 LR1 today, I missed questions 5,10,13,21 and in LR2 i missed 8,12,14,16,18,22,23,26.
And, how you go about it when you have a bad section like I did today?


Haha...well I'm a man on a mission :). And I don't think you can be too obsessed with something this important.

As for how to deal with a bad section, everyone's different, but for me, I let myself get upset for a minute or two, and then shut it down completely, and remember that it's all about the learning experience. Better to miss a bunch now and know what questions your less than solid on, so you can work on them, than get lucky on some questions, and not realize until later that you're knowledge of a particular question type is less than solid.

Here is my review write-up for PT #25, it has all the questions I missed, and you can check out my review strategy as well:

PT #25 Review

Section 1: -0 RC

Section 2: -2 LR

#10: Correct answer was E, I chose D. I circled this question as uncertain when I answered it.

Stimulus: Insects can see ultraviolet light and are known to identify important food sources and mating sites by sensing the characteristic patterns of ultraviolet light that these things reflect. Insects are also attracted to Glomosus spiderwebs, which reflect ultraviolet light. Thus, insects are probably attracted to these webs because of the specific patterns of ultraviolet light that these webs reflect.

Question Stem: Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument?

Incorrect answer:
D: When Drosophila fruit flies were placed before a Glomosus web and a synthetic web of similar pattern that also reflected ultraviolet light and both webs were illuminated with white light containing an ultraviolet component, many of the fruit flies flew to the Glomosus web. This answer is incorrect because, if true, this answer choice tells us that the fruit flies are attracted to the Glomosus web for reasons other than the ultraviolet light. Because both webs reflect ultraviolet light, that variable is held constant, and thus can not be responsible for why the fruit flies are attracted to the Glomosus web.

Correct answer:
E: When Drosophila fruit flies were placed before two Glomosus webs, one illuminated with white light containing an ultraviolet component and one illuminated with a white light without an ultraviolet component, the majority flew to the ultraviolet reflecting web. This is the correct answer because the argument concludes that the insects are probably attracted to these webs because of the ultraviolet light that these webs reflect. Since the webs were the same type, and only the variable of whether ultraviolet light was reflecting off the web, we know that that the ultraviolet light was the reason for why the fruit flies chose one web over another.

#25: Correct answer was D, I chose C.

Stimulus: Jack's aunt gave him her will, asking him to make it public when she died; he promised to do so. After her death, Jack looked at the will; it stipulated that all her money go to her friend George. Jack knew that if he made the will public, George would squander the money, benefiting neither George nor anyone else. Jack also knew that if he did not make the will public, the money would go to his own mother, who would use it to benefit herself and others, harming no one. After reflection, he decided not to make the will public.

Question stem: Which one of the following principles, if valid, would require Jack to act as he did in the situation described?

Incorrect answer:
C: One must choose an alternative that benefits some and harms no one over an alternative that harms some and benefits no one. This answer choice is incorrect because if Jack made the will public, there is no indication that it will harm some, it would just simply not benefit anyone else.

Correct answer:
D: When faced with alternatives it is obligatory to choose whichever one will benefit the greatest number of people. This answer choice is correct, because this principle, if valid, would require Jack to act as he did in this situation.

Section 3: -9 LG

Missed a key inference on game two, causing me to go 0/7, which was the numerical distribution. It either had to be 1-1-2-2 or 1-1-3-1.

#6: Correct answer is C. Because of numerical distribution, K and M can't both speak Russian.

#7: Correct answer was A. Numerical distribution again.

#8: Correct answer was B. Numerical distribution again.

#9: Correct answer was E. This answer comes as a byproduct of knowing about the numerical distribution.

#10: Correct answer was B. ND.

#11: Correct answer was E. Answer comes from the rule that is Klaus is assigned to Xerxes, then Michael speaks French.

#12: Correct answer was E, comes from the above rule.

Section 4: -2 LR

#11: Correct answer was D, I chose E. I also circled this one as uncertain during the test.

Stimulus: Taken together, some 2,000 stocks recommended on a popular television show over the course of the past 12 years by the show's guests, most of whom are successful consultants for multibillion-dollar stock portfolios, performed less successfully than the market as a whole for this 12-year period. So clearly, no one should ever follow any recommendations by these so-called experts.

Question stem: Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

Incorrect Answer:
E: The stock portfolios for which the guests were consultants performed better for the past 12-year period than the market as a whole. This answer is incorrect because this does indeed weaken the argument that no one should ever follow any recommendations by these so-called experts, by demonstrating that they are capable of choosing stocks that can perform better than the market as a whole. The correct answer needs to be neutral or strengthen the idea that no one should ever follow any recommendations by these so-called experts.

Correct Answer:
D: Performance of the stocks recommended on a television show was measured independently by a number of analysts, and the results of all the measurements concurred. This answer is correct because it is neutral to the argument that no one should follow any recommendations by these so-called experts.

#23: Correct answer was B, I chose D. I also circled this question as uncertain.

Stimulus: Only computer scientists understand the architecture of personal computers, and only those who understand the architecture of personal computers appreciate the advances in technology made in the last decade. It follows that only those who appreciate these advances are computer scientists.

Question stem: Which one of the following most accurately describes a flaw in the reasoning of the argument?

Premise 1: Only computer scientists understand the architecture of personal computers
(UAPC → CS)
Premise 2: Only those who understand the architecture of personal computers appreciate the advances in technology made in the last decade.
(AAT → UAPC → CS) Here is the flaw, just because they understand the architecture of personal computers (UAPC), and therefore are computer scientists (CS) doesn't mean they appreciate the advances in technology made in the last decade (AAT).

Conclusion: It follows that those who appreciate these advances are computer scientists.
(AAT → CS) FLAWED

Incorrect answer:
D: The premises of the argument are stated in such a way that they exclude the possibility of drawing any logical conclusion. This answer is incorrect, because you it is possible to draw at least 1 logical conclusion from the premises, such as SOME people who AAT are CS.

Correct answer:
B: The argument ignores the fact that some computer scientists may not appreciate the advances in technology made in the last decade. For reasons stated above.


Hope this helps...I'd be glad to answer any more questions to the best of my ability. We're all in this together...we got to help and support each other!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Justtrying2help and 5 guests