Going to School and studying for the LSAT (June 2010) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawschoolisfun2012

New

Going to School and studying for the LSAT (June 2010)

Post by lawschoolisfun2012 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:43 pm

June 2010 LSATers,

Are most of you going to school or working? How do you find time to balance school and studying? Finals maybe around the same time as the LSAT, what is your plan to balance them out? Are you considering taking the October to get more time to study?

I am only saying this because, I know when I start working after school, I will not have time to study for the LSAT. So, I have been studying non-stop for school and LSAT.

Greg

am060459

Silver

Re: Going to School and studying for the LSAT (June 2010)

Post by am060459 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:45 pm

from this post and your other post i think it would be better for you to take the October test.

higher lsat score > early application

makingwaves

Bronze

Post by makingwaves » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:15 pm

lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:June 2010 LSATers,

Are most of you going to school or working? How do you find time to balance school and studying? Finals maybe around the same time as the LSAT, what is your plan to balance them out? Are you considering taking the October to get more time to study?

I am only saying this because, I know when I start working after school, I will not have time to study for the LSAT. So, I have been studying non-stop for school and LSAT.

Greg
I finish school the first week in May so i'll have my job (part time -- not allowed to work more than 25 hrs per week, usually I hang out around 20 when i'm not in school) and a summer class running from May-July to keep my brain "on" so to speak for LSAT studying. I could definitely see for those who go to schools where finals are later/run on the quarter system having a hard time studying for June.

My advice is if you won't have time to study in the weeks leading up to the test, wait for October. You can still get your apps in nice and early and just have LSAC send you score to complete your files in October. Obviously its a personal choice but it seems the most effective thing would be to sign up for the test where you have the most time to study.

splay

Gold

Post by splay » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm currently doing all 3. I'm in school, enrolled in classes with involve a ridiculous amount of reading, I have a huge research paper due in a few weeks which is taking up most of my free time, and I am also working 2-3 times a week and trying to study for the LSAT, whenever I have a free hour or two. And before anyone asks, yes I am losing my mind a little and my anxiety attacks have started coming back, so I'm cutting back on the LSAT until this paper is done. Would I recommend doing all three to anyone? Negative. Is it possible? Yes, as long as your job is pretty slack, not full-time, and you're not enrolled in a full course load at school. I'm doing three classes, which is still too much considering. My suggestion? If you don't feel prepared enough for June, write in October. I made that mistake by writing in February.

Endowing

New

Post by Endowing » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:47 pm

I would have to agree with the advice given above. Currently I am preparing for the June LSAT as well. I work full time, however, I am fortunate that my job is rather mindless. I basically spend a minimum 2 hours after work at the library during weekdays, and spend a number of hours on the weekend doing practice sections/studying for the test. Granted, the more free time the better, but if you overload with too many activities, you are bound to make no progress with LSAT preparation.

If you have the option of pushing it back to October, I would suggest doing that and spending your summer focused on just work/LSAT with classes completed.

...and fyi, i have no social life now, it has become work and LSAT... that's pretty much it for now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Ive been studying for a retake (157 in Sep) and will begin working fulltime in mid April for 2 months atleast. While for the home stretch into June 2010 I will be working full time, I feel that postponing til October is too much of a stretch. Of course I will make a decision based off how I'm testing in the weeks before June... right now 2 months out I'm averaging 162/163. My goal is 170+

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:28 pm

I am currently going to school but taking 13 units (altough an intense 13) and memorizing lines for a play plus a job that requires 12 hours a week. It's not bad...but at the same time I wish I had more on my plate...I feel lazy and find myself unable to motivate myself...maybe the fact that there are 2 months left and my Blueprint class starts this sunday will help..?

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 pm

I took the December LSAT the first time around, and the test was the Saturday after my finals week (quarter system). Not only did my studying peter out in the weeks leading up to the test because I was stressing about finals, I got very little sleep the week before the test and I ended up scoring only 1 point higher than my diagnostic and 7-10 points lower where I was scoring on practice PTs. My advice is, if you think that you are going to be super stressed right around test time, put it off until the next administration. If school gets out a couple weeks before the test and you won't have any serious commitments during that time, you'll probably be able to get in full LSAT mode in time for the test.

Now I'm studying while working full time and technically being a full time student. Even though I am utterly exhausted when I get home, I try to put in at least an hour of studying/day, and just make time on the weekends to take practice tests. I'm hoping that the 1 1/2 week break I'll have before the test will be enough time to de-stress and get my brain totally ready.

lawschoolisfun2012

New

Post by lawschoolisfun2012 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:26 am

well, looks like most LSATers are busy people! I guess we should not put off what we can do today for tomorrow (Did Ben Franklin say that?)....anyways, good luck. My new plan is to study as much as possible (including the 3.5 weeks break I have before the test) and take the test. If I am not ready, I will just cancel the score and take in October....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:28 pm

lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:well, looks like most LSATers are busy people! I guess we should not put off what we can do today for tomorrow (Did Ben Franklin say that?)....anyways, good luck. My new plan is to study as much as possible (including the 3.5 weeks break I have before the test) and take the test. If I am not ready, I will just cancel the score and take in October....
Nope, Jefferson did.

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 am

I'm going to school and studying. I go to CSUN, so I go M/W. I don't have a job, but I study 2-3 hours a day. It's simple really, but balancing with school is pretty tough.

lawschoolisfun2012

New

Post by lawschoolisfun2012 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Well, Berkeley wins again...delaying the LSAT until October. No time to study or take advantage of the $1350 testmasters course

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:28 pm

If you are going to school, make that your priority since you will never again be able to change your GPA. If you think you will not do too well on the LSAT with little preparation before the end of the semester, I would suggest that you delay till October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:46 am

Last edited by gatorgirl4life on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:yeah i'm going to school and just started studying for the june LSAT with testmasters. i got a 155 on my diagnostic, but would like to get at least a 166. right now i'm planning on taking it in june, but if i don't improve enough by then, i'll just wait until october...the thought of studying during the summer (and the beginning of football season!) is killing me though...i'd much rather just get it over with. :/
+1

I work 25 hours a week (very stressful job), I am taking 15 credit hours, plus an internship with a county judge, and volunteer in far too many extracurriculars. I make myself do at least an hour a day of lsat prep, be it getting up one hour earlier, doing a half hour at lunch and a half hour later, or whatever. I don't go to bed until my hour is in. But even still - I may delay until October if its necessary. From what I understand, I can still submit my apps in late September even without the lsat score yet. So it won't delay my application process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”