So I just received a call from a detective hired by LSAC...

So I just received a call from a detective hired by LSAC...

Postby 20121109 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:46 pm

...and apparently, someone stole a booklet from my February testing site!!

This is a pretty big deal given how anal LSAC tends to be when it comes to following strict procedure, but it seems even more serious simply because the February test is undisclosed. He randomly called and asked if I noticed anything weird about my testing site and whether there were any apparent irregularities during testing. He asked if people had cell phones, which a lot of people had but only used once the test was over. He then asked if I saw anyone leave the test before the test was over, which is funny because I did notice the girl next to me leave at break and never came back. I simply assumed she canceled. The guy sounded really grave and said that if they find the person who took it, they will surely face serious criminal charges.

But what I don't understand is that I just don't see how it can be a LSAT candidate who actually took the booklet. Anyone who has taken the test knows that they only hand out the booklets once everyone is seated, and re-collect them before anyone leaves their seat for the 15min break and after the end of the 5th section. If anyone leaves during the test to go to the bathroom, they are accompanied by a proctor. And I think its pretty safe to say that LSAC has a mechanism in place that would easily notice such an anomaly. Like if a student has taken the test and the actual booklet missing...? I just don't see how a student could have taken a booklet. I mean, its possible but its just highly unlikely. Maybe it was a proctor who wanted to help out a friend for a future administration or something?

Anyway, lesson is DON'T F*CK WITH LSAC. They'll hire private detectives and find your ass.

pleasetryagain

Re: So I just received a call from a detective hired by LSAC...

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:54 pm

sounds like a proctor lost the test and/or one of the college students they use to proctor the test stole it to help their friend (thuogh I dont see the benefit to this). I don't understand how you get out of the room with a booklet and have it not be noticed until they ship the stuff to LSAC.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:56 pm

I would think that they should know who was in the room, and who's booklet was missing. I mean, they have your name on them, don't they?

onetimeonly95

Postby onetimeonly95 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Ok, LSAC..I confess

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Well, overseas people take the test a couple of days later. That booklet probably was sold or given to one of them.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:I would think that they should know who was in the room, and who's booklet was missing. I mean, they have your name on them, don't they?

lol, very good point. this should be pretty open/shut.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:20 pm

ryguy wrote:Well, overseas people take the test a couple of days later. That booklet probably was sold or given to one of them.

different test, doesn't matter.

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 pm

There are so many crimes that are so much less geeky.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:28 pm

lol 100 euro says this person is a frequent TLS'er

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Seems that it would be a relatively trivial endeavour to steal a booklet. Most proctors are really not very sharp. Register under an assumed identity and you've won the battle.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:I would think that they should know who was in the room, and who's booklet was missing. I mean, they have your name on them, don't they?

perhaps they plan to sue and he is just building a case

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:00 pm

The proctors probably have a few extra books. Someone could snag one on their way out after the exam and run like hell; the proctors would have little recourse against that unless they could recognize the exact person and match his face to his name.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:03 pm

It's the proctor, in the library, with the candlestick!

biggiemike000

Postby biggiemike000 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:07 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote: The guy sounded really grave and said that if they find the person who took it, they will surely face serious criminal charges.

The electric chair, public hanging, or stoning?
Lol, honestly does anyone know what the actual punishment would be. Is there LSAC-crime legislation like there is for hate-crimes?

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:06 pm

ryguy wrote:Well, overseas people take the test a couple of days later. That booklet probably was sold or given to one of them.

Account for the time change and it's pretty much the same day.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:22 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:...and apparently, someone stole a booklet from my February testing site!!

This is a pretty big deal given how anal LSAC tends to be when it comes to following strict procedure, but it seems even more serious simply because the February test is undisclosed. He randomly called and asked if I noticed anything weird about my testing site and whether there were any apparent irregularities during testing. He asked if people had cell phones, which a lot of people had but only used once the test was over. He then asked if I saw anyone leave the test before the test was over, which is funny because I did notice the girl next to me leave at break and never came back. I simply assumed she canceled. The guy sounded really grave and said that if they find the person who took it, they will surely face serious criminal charges.

But what I don't understand is that I just don't see how it can be a LSAT candidate who actually took the booklet. Anyone who has taken the test knows that they only hand out the booklets once everyone is seated, and re-collect them before anyone leaves their seat for the 15min break and after the end of the 5th section. If anyone leaves during the test to go to the bathroom, they are accompanied by a proctor. And I think its pretty safe to say that LSAC has a mechanism in place that would easily notice such an anomaly. Like if a student has taken the test and the actual booklet missing...? I just don't see how a student could have taken a booklet. I mean, its possible but its just highly unlikely. Maybe it was a proctor who wanted to help out a friend for a future administration or something?

Anyway, lesson is DON'T F*CK WITH LSAC. They'll hire private detectives and find your ass.

yeah I dont think it was an lsat taker because when they hand out the booklets, the have a seating chart nd write the form number to show who had each booklet

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”