October Pros/Cons

LSWin
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 pm

October Pros/Cons

Postby LSWin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:35 pm

.
Last edited by LSWin on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSWin
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Postby LSWin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 pm

.
Last edited by LSWin on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSWin
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Postby LSWin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:34 am

.
Last edited by LSWin on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Waiting Until October Pros/Cons

Postby 4for44 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:40 am

shameless Bump

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Waiting Until October Pros/Cons

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:19 am

October is not late- not sure exactly where you got that information (maybe you're thinking of the Dec. test?). I am planning on taking the October LSAT and based on the information you provided, I recommend you do the same. This is not a test you want to take officially more than once. Finish the Kaplan course, rock through the Bibles, do 50+ PrepTests, and then take the test in October. My 2 cents.

LSWin
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: Waiting Until October Pros/Cons

Postby LSWin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking taking the October test would make your app slightly late (by some people's standards) because the earliest you could get your app complete is the first few days of November. I guess that's not so bad.

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Waiting Until October Pros/Cons

Postby TUP » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm in a similar position ... about a week into my prep and only on LGB chapter 3. However, I work full-time and have a lot less time than as an undergrad and I'm still leaning toward June. I want to keep the October retake option open, especially since it seems like retakes aren't penalized by most schools. I'm planning on just doing the LGB and ~25 prep tests. If I'm scoring poorly at the mid-May cancellation deadline that's also an option.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Waiting Until October Pros/Cons

Postby Rand M. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:30 pm

jxtxdx wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking taking the October test would make your app slightly late (by some people's standards) because the earliest you could get your app complete is the first few days of November. I guess that's not so bad.



Before Thanksgiving is still considered pretty early and most will tell you that November is the last month in which there is absolutely no material disadvantage. The biggest downside to the Oct test is the one you identified in the OP; that will be your one free shot at it. Personally I took it in June and cancelled and then retook in Oct. That was by no means what I was originally planning to do, but that's how it worked out and I don't think my cycle was affected by the fact that my application was "later." I submitted in the last week of October and started hearing back four days later. You'll be fine.

Good luck to all of you!

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Waiting Until October Pros/Cons

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:33 pm

TUP wrote:I'm in a similar position ... about a week into my prep and only on LGB chapter 3. However, I work full-time and have a lot less time than as an undergrad and I'm still leaning toward June. I want to keep the October retake option open, especially since it seems like retakes aren't penalized by most schools. I'm planning on just doing the LGB and ~25 prep tests. If I'm scoring poorly at the mid-May cancellation deadline that's also an option.


This is my situation. I work 25 hours/week, take 15 hours of classes, and am involved in an extracurricular thats pretty demanding. I wish I just had to deal with a full time job where I could be completely done every weekday by 6pm. As it is now I have to stay up late just to finish my regular homework and squeeze in some LSAT prep.

I've gotten up to LGB chapter 4, taken about 4 early PTs with scores ranging from 156-162, and I'm just having trouble finding the time/energy to do this.

I'm hoping that my Testmasters course, which I'm starting today, will make me focus more and spend the appropriate amount of time on preparation.

I'm still leaning towards June, hoping I can just knock it out and focus on my work. But if I feel like I'm going to bomb it (-170) in June I'll probably cancel and take it in October. I say take it in June and see how you feel.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gwillygecko, Majestic-12 [Bot], packerboy31489, Pozzo, proteinshake and 27 guests