Construct a study plan for me

Construct a study plan for me

Postby fiercesys » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:44 am

I've decided to stop lurking and finally dive in. I am a law school hopeful and I'd like to study without a course.

Here's what I am working with.

*I'll be taking care of a sick relative with dementia 24/7 but in my spare time I'd like to study.
*I want to take the test in sept 2010. I want to start studying April 1.
*not a lot of money
*no materials yet.
*Been a few years since I've been in school (Yes, I'm ancient)

Yes, I've read the various schedules here in the forum. But, I thought I'd give this a shot for some extra guidance.

thank you

Re: Construct a study plan for me

Postby tomwatts » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:01 am

The cheapest way to do any of this is to study on your own and collect up a bunch of PTs and a book of technique (which could be just about anything — I used Cracking the LSAT, but there are many others). You want all three of the 10 Actuals series and then for sure PTs 50-59 by themselves and if you can afford the additional expense, the tests in between, too (PTs 39-49). If you get all of these from the right sources, they shouldn't be more than $200 in total, maybe less. Then do what everybody talks about with those 40-50 tests.

One thing I'll caution you, on the basis of my experience as a test prep teacher working with students not exactly in your situation but similar ones: you're going to have to find time to work without distractions. I get that you have to take care of someone else every hour of the day, but the LSAT is over 3 hours of time from first section to fifth section (plus the writing sample, which you can effectively ignore in your prep). Every now and again, you need to be able to devote 3 uninterrupted hours to this. Not every day, not even necessarily every week, but certainly no less than every month, and with increasing frequency as test day approaches. For that matter, early on in your prep, having uninterrupted time doesn't make much of a difference, because you shouldn't be doing things timed anyway early on, but late in your studying, you will need to have at least 35 minutes uninterrupted every day.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you're not sure that you can just get significant amounts of time to yourself right now, try to invent ways to do this in the future, because this is important.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”