How to write the following contents exactly?

mecmecmec

How to write the following contents exactly?

Postby mecmecmec » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:56 pm

I want to write a sentence containing following meanings:
a. In the week from Monday to Sunday, I only go to park for picnic on weekdays.
b. If it does not rain in a day, I go to park for picnic that day.

Can I write it in this way: Except for Saturday and Sunday, when it doesn't rain, I go to park for picnic.
If there is something wrong, please tell me the correct writing.

Awaiting for help.

FuManChusco

Re: How to write the following contents exactly?

Postby FuManChusco » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:32 pm

I don't even know where to start.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:45 pm

mecmecmec wrote:I want to write a sentence containing following meanings:

Can I write it in this way: Except for Saturday and Sunday, when it doesn't rain, I go to park for picnic.

Awaiting for help.

When you write it like you did, it sounds possible that you can actually go to the park on Sat. and Sun because your first statement seems like it qualifies the second (if it doesn't rain ...).

it is like
if (sat or sun) {

} else {
if (no rain) {
go to park
}
{

You should write: On any weekday that doesn't rain, I go to the park.

Then it would be
if (weekday AND no rain) {
go to park
}

If you wrote, if it is not sat or sunday AND it doesn't rain ... then it sounds better.

This is like the argument over punctuation in the second amendment.

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Upon the portion of the week falling between Monday and Friday, and during times void of inclement weather involving metaphorical cats and dogs, I frequent the park with the purpose of engaging myself in the activity of picnicking.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Awaiting for help.

"I picnic at the park every weekday unless it rains."

Done :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:56 pm

jonas586 wrote:Upon the portion of the week falling between Monday and Friday, and during times void of inclement weather involving metaphorical cats and dogs, I frequent the park with the purpose of engaging myself in the activity of picnicking.

in between inclusive or exclusive?
rain is not inclement weather/we only talk about cats and dogs when it pours, not rains
frequent?

If you could write this into a 1-page essay I'd really respect your abilities :)

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jonas586 wrote:Upon the portion of the week falling between Monday and Friday, and during times void of inclement weather involving metaphorical cats and dogs, I frequent the park with the purpose of engaging myself in the activity of picnicking.

in between inclusive or exclusive?
rain is not inclement weather/we only talk about cats and dogs when it pours, not rains
frequent?

If you could write this into a 1-page essay I'd really respect your abilities :)

Here goes ...

Considering the days that your typical week includes is a substantial piece of information to take into account when dealing with certain planning issues in ones personal life. For instance, if someone who were interested to partake in his or her hobby with another person, they could agree on a meeting time, but fail to meet even if both were to show up at the agreed upon time. This happens when people show up at the right time on the wrong day. Therefore, taking into consideration the days of the week is of tantamount importance.

In order to start doing this effectively, one must know that there are exactly seven days in each week - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The order of these "days" matters. They must remain in the same order in which they are presented above in order to avoid confusion. Now, another important thing to note is that the week a cyclical event, meaning that it repeats. So, after Sunday it is Monday again, repeating the list for another week. After all seven days have lapsed, so has the "week."

In normal discourse, it is common to appeal to a bi-modal taxonomy of the days in the week. The first category to which the days belong is "weekdays," and the second category is "weekend." The former category includes 5 days - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The later category includes only two days - Saturday and Sunday. While there is some controversy as to which category Friday belongs, it remains the general convention that it be categorized as mentioned above.

Let us now consider a hypothetical person who enjoys picnics at the park. This same person, for the sake of argument, is also quite averse to being outdoors, especially for picnicking, during the rain. In fact, he refuses to picnic in the rain all together. He also will not picnic on the weekends (i.e. Saturday, Sunday, or both). What we do know about this individual is that he will always make an attempt to picnic every weekday. Therefore, unless it rains, this person picnics every weekday.

Without having a thorough understanding of the days of the week, this would not have been a possible explanation. In fact, doing so required that we go one step further in our analysis of the days in the week and that we touch upon the bi-modal taxonomy in to which each of the seven days of the week fall.
8)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:27 pm

BRAVO!!!

Thank you, I enjoyed this bit on a boring saturday.

I remember about 10 years ago there there was a little Dilbert desktop program called jargonator that one could feed a sentence and generate a bunch of corporate trendy gibberish. I pulled a prank and submitted a report based on the output of 1 sentence but my bosses loved it.

You should trim that thing to 250 and send it to Yale :idea: :P

Edit: I'd add another 2 paragraphs on how rain impacts the enjoyment of picnics and how one would struggle in deciding whether or not to concede to foul weather.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:BRAVO!!!

Thank you, I enjoyed this bit on a boring saturday.

I remember about 10 years ago there there was a little Dilbert desktop program called jargonator that one could feed a sentence and generate a bunch of corporate trendy gibberish. I pulled a prank and submitted a report based on the output of 1 sentence but my bosses loved it.

You should trim that thing to 250 and send it to Yale :idea: :P

Edit: I'd add another 2 paragraphs on how rain impacts the enjoyment of picnics and how one would struggle in deciding whether or not to concede to foul weather.

Go for it. We'll consider this a team effort to see how long we can make it ... I smell a dissertation brewin' :lol:

mecmecmec

Postby mecmecmec » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:50 am

r6_philly wrote:

Awaiting for help.

When you write it like you did, it sounds possible that you can actually go to the park on Sat. and Sun because your first statement seems like it qualifies the second (if it doesn't rain ...).

it is like
if (sat or sun) {

} else {
if (no rain) {
go to park
}
{

Then it would be
go to park
}

If you wrote, if it is not sat or sunday AND it doesn't rain ... then it sounds better.

Thank you.
I agree with you, but I just don't know can it be writen using the structure as:"except..., when..., someone do...." Because I read a similar setence in the LSAT and it is: Except for Saturday and Sunday, when none of them works, exactly one of the firefighters works each day.

mecmecmec

Postby mecmecmec » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:53 am

Mattalones wrote:

Awaiting for help.

"I picnic at the park every weekday unless it rains."

Done :wink:

Thank you.
I agree with you, but I just don't know can it be writen using the structure as:"except..., when..., someone do...." Because I read a similar setence in the LSAT and it is: Except for Saturday and Sunday, when none of them works, exactly one of the firefighters works each day.

mecmecmec

Postby mecmecmec » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:56 am

That's too hard for me, but thank you all the same. :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:59 pm

mecmecmec wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Awaiting for help.

it is like
if (sat or sun) {

} else {
if (no rain) {
go to park
}
{

Then it would be
go to park
}

Thank you.

You write

Except for Saturday and Sunday, OR when it rains, I got to park for picnic.

mecmecmec

Postby mecmecmec » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:09 am

r6_philly wrote:
mecmecmec wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Awaiting for help.

it is like
if (sat or sun) {

} else {
if (no rain) {
go to park
}
{

Then it would be
go to park
}

Thank you.

You write

Except for Saturday and Sunday, OR when it rains, I got to park for picnic.

What you wrote is so excellent. Thank you very much. :D

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:54 pm

How about:

If it's a weekday and it's not raining, I go to the park for a picnic.

mecmecmec

Postby mecmecmec » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:03 pm

cherryalamode wrote:How about:

I think you write it well, but I need to write it using the structure as:"except..., when..., someone do...." Because I read a similar setence in the LSAT and it is: Except for Saturday and Sunday, when none of them works, exactly one of the firefighters works each day.

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:09 pm

mecmecmec wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:How about:

I think you write it well, but I need to write it using the structure as:"except..., when..., someone do...." Because I read a similar setence in the LSAT and it is: Except for Saturday and Sunday, when none of them works, exactly one of the firefighters works each day.

Well that just sounds like:

If it's a weekday (which we take to be Mon-Fri), then exactly one of the firefghters work on each day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”