Just took first practice LSAT, improving on Logic Games?

schrizto

Just took first practice LSAT, improving on Logic Games?

Postby schrizto » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 am

I signed up for a mock LSAT from Kaplan and they told me I was taking real LSAC preptest #36. My score came back with -3 on reading comp, -10 on logical reasoning with 5 omitted (ran out of time on the first section), and my logic games section was a mess. I didn't know how to approach LG problems at all and tried drawing diagrams too but they didn't seem very effective, so I skipped around the section and left most of the questions blank. The total came out to 155, but this is probably really lopsided considering the breakdown of the individual sections.

What's the best way to develop a strategy and improve on logic games? I'm a freshman now so I still have a lot of time to prepare. I think my reading comp could be perfected, logical reasoning could be good with some practice, but I will have to really work on logic games. I haven't really bought any prep books yet but from what I've been reading it looks like Powerscore and real LSAC PrepTests are the way to go. Anything else? My goal is something like 170+.

Re: Just took first practice LSAT, improving on Logic Games?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:46 am

schrizto wrote:I signed up for a mock LSAT from Kaplan and they told me I was taking real LSAC preptest #36. My score came back with -3 on reading comp, -10 on logical reasoning with 5 omitted (ran out of time on the first section), and my logic games section was a mess. I didn't know how to approach LG problems at all and tried drawing diagrams too but they didn't seem very effective, so I skipped around the section and left most of the questions blank. The total came out to 155, but this is probably really lopsided considering the breakdown of the individual sections.

What's the best way to develop a strategy and improve on logic games? I'm a freshman now so I still have a lot of time to prepare. I think my reading comp could be perfected, logical reasoning could be good with some practice, but I will have to really work on logic games. I haven't really bought any prep books yet but from what I've been reading it looks like Powerscore and real LSAC PrepTests are the way to go. Anything else? My goal is something like 170+.

I used a modified version of the pithypike method just for LG and it worked brilliantly.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:14 pm

You want a book of technique (this could be the aforementioned Bibles or one of many others — I used Cracking the LSAT) and a bunch of released tests. Then you do the released tests. Basically, learn how to draw the games, then practice them a lot.

You could also take a class or get a tutor. Given that you're pretty imbalanced (mostly a Games problem, not much to be said about RC), you might be better off with a tutor.

Oh, um, and the advice below is good as well.
Last edited by tomwatts on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:40 pm

You're a freshman? Jesus Tapdancing Christ. What the hell are you doing? Go enjoy your life and worry about this much later.

If you just got a 155 with your scoring breakdown on a cold diag, you're in great shape. RC is by far the most difficult area to improve in, but you did well there. LR is easier to improve (and -10 the first go 'round is not bad at all), and LG is the easiest area in which to make big gains.

You don't need 2+ years to prepare for this exam, for crying out loud. If you're working on this now, you're probably going to run out of fresh material long before you actually take the test. If you want to be safe, give yourself a few months (3-5) to study before the test date.

sch6les

Postby sch6les » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Last edited by sch6les on Tue May 01, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Take a logic course, read some scholarly journals, and keep your GPA up.

Start LSAT prep your junior year. Useless doing it now.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Put down the books and wait about 2 years. You won't retain this info until the test, and you will run out of practice materials. Go focus on college, get a good GPA, and HAVE SOME FUN!!

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:36 pm

You certainly don't want to be prepping for years, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should wait until you're a Junior/Senior. That is what most people do, but if you know that 2012 (when you're going from Junior-Senior) is going to be an insanely busy time for you, then it might be smarter to take it earlier. Especially if you've got tons and tons of time this year or next. Your score is good for 5 years, so if you're planning on going right after undergrad you could be fine (a couple schools require tests that are only 3-4 years old though). When all your peers are shitting themselves studying for the LSAT, you'll just need to worry about your ps and other softs. I've had a few students who did this, and they were all pretty happy they did. It's not for everyone, but it shouldn't be totally written off.

But yeah, there's no need to study for years. You'll run out of material, and hate your life.

noelleF

Postby noelleF » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:46 pm

i would start studying earlier rather than later--this is from personal experience. added bonus if you end up taking a break in the middle, you might understand the information a lot better the second time around! this happened to me :)

schrizto

Postby schrizto » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:55 pm

It's not that I'm running around freaking out about the LSAT... Kaplan advertised a free practice LSAT on campus and I signed up and took it. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”