Please help! Problems with (the long) reasoning and parellel

dashank

Please help! Problems with (the long) reasoning and parellel

Postby dashank » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 am

Basically as the title says, I'm having trouble with these two kinds of question stems. I know these types of questions have to do with the construction or the pattern of the arguments but I am not seeing the patterns that clearly in comparison to the answers. Is their certain things to look for in these patterns? Another thing, these questions take forever cause I read ALL the answers which it itself is a lengthy argument. Is their a secret to get through them faster or to spot out something so they can be done faster? Thanks in advance

waxecstatic

Re: Please help! Problems with (the long) reasoning and parellel

Postby waxecstatic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am

dashank wrote:Basically as the title says, I'm having trouble with these two kinds of question stems. I know these types of questions have to do with the construction or the pattern of the arguments but I am not seeing the patterns that clearly in comparison to the answers. Is their certain things to look for in these patterns? Another thing, these questions take forever cause I read ALL the answers which it itself is a lengthy argument. Is their a secret to get through them faster or to spot out something so they can be done faster? Thanks in advance

Try linking the method of argumentation (analogy, conditional reasoning, etc) Then try to match the force of the conclusion. Should and must are not alike in terms of force. Probably will and will, can and will, it seems versus it is, etc are unlike each other in force. Note: A negative does not necessarily mean it is unlike in force and must be eliminated. It can still be structured so as to say the same thing as the stimulus. Different force of conclusion means the answer choice is not parallel and can be eliminated. After matching the conclusion, if that does not eliminate any answers, try seeing how the premises are used in conjunction with the conclusion and compare that to the answer choices. After that, look for anything idiosyncratic about the stimulus that is not paralleled by the (remaining) answer choices.

They are the most time consuming, but since they are among the hardest and more often than not can be found after question 20, it would be a good idea to drill through them to give you confidence, accuracy, and speed. Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”