March Madness Logic Game

bp colin

March Madness Logic Game

Postby bp colin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:54 pm

We at Blueprint (well, Matt did it all) came up with a tasty, tasty new game. Check it out, suckas!

--LinkRemoved--

Brent

Re: March Madness Logic Game

Postby Brent » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Does changing the topic but copying the format constitute creating a new game?

Test 23 Game 2 Hired and Interviewed looks...almost identical.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Hope you can make a good "fair use" argument.

Brent

Postby Brent » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:46 pm

As long as they change the topic there are not any copyright issues, (20% rule) and many test prep companies do this exact thing to "create" games for their materials. I think it ruins the assessment value of the real tests, but it does make students think they are learning things I suppose.

FreeGuy

Postby FreeGuy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Brent wrote:Does changing the topic but copying the format constitute creating a new game?

Test 23 Game 2 Hired and Interviewed looks...almost identical.

Haha, don't be a narc, Brent.

Just kidding. It looks like Princeton Review does the same thing in one of their books.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/ls ... posed.html

Brent

Postby Brent » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Hehe, I was just all excited about doing a cool new game, and then my hopes were dashed...it would have been better if the order of the questions, or answer choices were mixed up a little at least.

FreeGuy

Postby FreeGuy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:11 pm

--ImageRemoved--

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Brent wrote:As long as they change the topic there are not any copyright issues, (20% rule) and many test prep companies do this exact thing to "create" games for their materials. I think it ruins the assessment value of the real tests, but it does make students think they are learning things I suppose.

Seriously? That seems crazy. Nearly 100% of the creative energy required for creating a logic game has to be creating rules and a setup that works. Coming up with a "topic" requires almost no effort.

I mean, I believe you; just seems dumb. What is this 20% rule?

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:45 pm

yeah, that was just for a bullshit march madness blog post. we would never charge for something like that. in our actual material there are all the games from all the licensed preptests. sorry for not putting a disclaimer. sad face

noelleF

Postby noelleF » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Brent wrote:As long as they change the topic there are not any copyright issues, (20% rule) and many test prep companies do this exact thing to "create" games for their materials. I think it ruins the assessment value of the real tests, but it does make students think they are learning things I suppose.

yikes! i didn't know test companies can change the topic and say they "made up" their own game! i hope no one copies the games from the PT's in the 50's and passes them off as their own. i'm definitely going to stick to only the real thing now.

where did this 20% rule come from?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”