is fatigue training necessary?

sangr

is fatigue training necessary?

Postby sangr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:06 pm

so today i was taking a PT (my third one probably)

and realized that thus far in my prep...doing four whole sections really screws me up..

while this is a result of my lack of endurance....for me i realized its more of a result of my shaky knowledge
of this test so far...so that when ive done much previous work, and also am rushing for time, it all falls apart.

SO, ive decided to do more of drills and sections, instead of full PTs

However, while i was in the process of deciding what to do i asked myself, "Will the fact that I've done three
sections before the fourth really distort my ability that much, DURING the actual test?"

I asked myself this because there are other factors involved in the actual test..such as adrenaline, the fact
that you can't f*ck up because you've been preparing for this damn thing for way too long, etc...

i DO realize that SOME endurance training is of course needed..

but I just wanted to see what all of you other guys thought --

replies would be appreciated!

HBK

Re: is fatigue training necessary?

Postby HBK » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:14 pm

sangr wrote:so today i was taking a PT (my third one probably)

and realized that thus far in my prep...doing four whole sections really screws me up..

while this is a result of my lack of endurance....for me i realized its more of a result of my shaky knowledge
of this test so far...so that when ive done much previous work, and also am rushing for time, it all falls apart.

However, while i was in the process of deciding what to do i asked myself, "Will the fact that I've done three
sections before the fourth really distort my ability that much, DURING the actual test?"

I asked myself this because there are other factors involved in the actual test..such as adrenaline, the fact
that you can't f*ck up because you've been preparing for this damn thing for way too long, etc...

You need to practice with 5 sections. The actual test is 5 sections + an ungraded writing section.

HBK

Postby HBK » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:15 pm

And you should take at least ten five section timed tests before the real deal.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:25 pm

I took the test twice, both times I missed a lot more questions in the last section, than in the previous sections. It was like I hit a wall. I would suggest your develop you endurance, take 6 or 7 sections straight, so five is easy. I, luckily got into my first choice school, but some miracle, so I don't have to take it again.

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Practice with the drills and group the different question types together until you've got the material down. Then start building your stamina with full length PTs. Once you've got the material down on a basic level, it should become much easier to string it all together, so fatigue would be less of a factor.

Search for Pithypike's LSAT study guide in the forums, it's invaluable.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:33 pm

First you need to identify what your goal is. If you've already taken some PTs you should have a rough idea of what a realistic target score would be. Keep in mind that if you want T14 your goal should be in the 170's. If you want to kick ass and take names you should covet a 180 with uncompromising lust.

Once you start performing up to your expectations and goals on individual sections take every PT under simulated conditions. Add a 5th section and time yourself. Everytime. There's something to be said for understanding the material and there's something to be said for being able to perform up to your potential on test day. You're going to want to be able to do both and the best way to do well on the real deal is to replicate the actual test conditions repeatedly.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:40 pm

I'd say take 5 and 6 section tests even because then 5 becomes pretty easy. Take a test without much sleep to see how you do too. That stuff helped me a lot on test-day re-taking.

sangr

Postby sangr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:43 pm

yeap, the advice about getting this stuff down first and then doing real PTs was along the lines of what i was thinking.
the advice about takin a test without sleep. Wow, I can see how that could help though.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:46 pm

Also mix around the sections orders. 3 LRs in a row (or 2 RCs, or 2 LGs etc whatever your weak point is) actually does happen. I had RC LR LR LR LG on test actual day and found it a lot more difficult than I expected - by the 3rd LR I was ready to shoot myself in the head.

cLams

Postby cLams » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:47 pm

I never took a FULL practice test before the actual LSAT. I always practiced without the experimental section and am kicking myself in the ass for it now. I missed between 3 and 5 questions on the first three sections, and missed 10, yes 10, on the last. Practice with all five sections. It will be worth it.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Depends on the girl.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:57 pm

waxecstatic wrote:Depends on the girl.

well played sir

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 pm

^Hahaha.

Anyways, to keep beating a dead horse, yes, I find endurance training to be very important. That being said, if you do not understand certain types of questions, which is what I think you were saying above, try to work those separately and under no time constraints. What I'm doing is tackling each question type. I do various problems and read strategies on how to do them. I work those untimed. Then I will do full sections with time limits. Also, I find doing two full timed practice tests a week very helpful. I figure if I approach the test like this I can work accuracy and endurance/time issues all at once. Good luck!

sangr

Postby sangr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 pm

great! i have one more question to ask u guys..

do u think its fine to end up reviewing PT's later than the time u took it?

for example taking a PT, then reviewing parts of it the next day, the day after, three days later..etc.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 pm

sangr wrote:great! i have one more question to ask u guys..

for example taking a PT, then reviewing parts of it the next day, the day after, three days later..etc.

I think this is all well and good, just make sure you don't take another test (or section or whatever) until you've finished reviewing the first. Reviewing your PTs, identifying exactly what went wrong, reaffirming exactly what when right, and eliminating weakness is the most important thing you can do in your studying. Best of luck.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:21 pm

I personally found it better to review it right after I took it, especially for LR and RC, because it was easier for me to remember my reasoning and figure out exactly where I went wrong. But that was just me (I have terrible short-term memory). I know that sometimes you can't make the time in your schedule to review right away, so you'll just have to make it work.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:29 pm

I did always review stuff immediately after I worked the questions, back in the day. I think it's not a bad idea to come back to it the next day and rework the questions or at least look them over again before you do the next section you do.

GermX

Postby GermX » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Yes. Also, take your exam in a crowded mall etc..., otherwise, on game day you're going to be annoyed by every single noise. You won't believe how much doing that helped me.

hv1

Postby hv1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm

I haven't read the replies,but YES it is. Do LSAT until your brain just hurts. And I mean hurts literally. Eventually it will strengthen, just like any muscle.

yeff

Postby yeff » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:12 pm

I went up to as many as 8 consecutive sections when doing PTs. Definitely helped.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:59 pm

kazu wrote:

I personally found it better to review it right after I took it, especially for LR and RC, because it was easier for me to remember my reasoning and figure out exactly where I went wrong. But that was just me (I have terrible short-term memory). I know that sometimes you can't make the time in your schedule to review right away, so you'll just have to make it work.

Definitely a good idea. You want to review shortly after you take the exam. Try to make the time. If you review it right after, you'll remember your reasoning much better. You want to not only figure out why the right AC is right and why the wrong one you picked is wrong, but also why you thought the wrong one was right, why you thought the right one was wrong, and why you now know better. This latter part is going to be much harder to do if you've got a lot of time between the test and the review. If you can't make the time, try to at least do it for the ones that really stumped the shit out of you.

basicgrey7

Postby basicgrey7 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:28 pm

sangr wrote:so today i was taking a PT (my third one probably)

yes. I didn't do very many whole tests because I got bored. I did them in sections. It was really hard to stay focused on the lsat.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”