Who is PowerScore Referring to When It Corrects "Others"? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MagnumLifeStyle

Bronze

Who is PowerScore Referring to When It Corrects "Others"?

Post by MagnumLifeStyle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:46 am

PowerScore seemingly corrects the mistakes of other test companies throughout its bibles.

For example, on pg 491 of the Logical Reasoning Bible, PS states "Some companies classify Principle questions as a stand-alone question type. This is incorrect; The addition of the principle concept...."

Does anyone know what are the "some companies"?
I'm asking because I would like to buy some more study material besides PowerScore (which I dearly love, but would like more resources) and don't want to buy anything that is not in line with PowerScore's way of thinking.

Thanks! =)

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Re: Who is PowerScore Referring to When It Corrects "Others"?

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:52 am

"Others" consist of the Harry Potter series.

But more realistically, you'd be smart to just absorb one company's methods the best you can. If you read other companies methods you're likely to just get more confused. Internalize the PowerScore methods and then P the shit out of those Ts.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:53 am

I think if you just want more material, you should buy more preptests and just utilize the PS methods on those. I'm sure there are other methods that are somewhat similar, but you don't really need the reiteration of the method...you need more exposure to the questions.

TL;DR...buy more preptests, not more study aids.

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:08 am

this is just standard marketing bullshit to make their customers feel confident about having chosen PS over a competitor. I'm sure they were referring to a specific company, but the real focus of the message is "man, aren't you glad you chose us instead of that crappy company?"

Principle questions can easily be categorized as their own "type", since that whole 87 categories of LR is just an arbitrary (but possibly helpful) schematic to help students understand the differences between question types. Not to say PS isn't good material, but they engage in the same subtle crap that other companies do.

MagnumLifeStyle

Bronze

Post by MagnumLifeStyle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 am

bluejayk, toolshed, TheBigMediocre,

thank you all for your replies. I thought they were referring to Kaplan or Princeton Review...anyways, i'll get my hands on more PTs. thanks!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:19 pm

I don't know wtf they're talking about, but the Princeton Review classification of Principle questions is that there's a type (using the words "principle" and "justify") that we call "Principle-Strengthen" because it's virtually identical to Strengthen questions, and there's a type (using the words "principle" and "conform") that we call "Principle-Match" because you're matching principle to situation (either Principle-ID, where the argument is the situation and the answer choices are principles, or Principle-Apply, where the argument is the principle and the answer choices are situations — the latter might be closest to an Inference or Parallel question).

So as far as we're concerned, Principle questions are two (or sort of three) additional types that bear close relationships to other types.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”