Stuck in the mid 160s thread (for June test takers)

jarofsoup

Stuck in the mid 160s thread (for June test takers)

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:02 am

I wanted to start a thread for people who are in the mid to upper 160s and want to hit 170 in June for people to share advice/progress.

So far my highest score has been 167 on three tests. My goal is 170 on actual test and to hit mid 170s on practice tests. I am under the impression it is always safe to be prep testing a little higher than you plan to actually score.

what about all you folks?

beidoun

Re: Stuck in the mid 160s thread (for June test takers)

Postby beidoun » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:08 am

Averaging 167. I hit 170 once. Trying to get to 173 on real thing.

My biggest weakness is keeping focused during the test. I can get a -0/1 on LG consistently. For RC and LR, its inconsistent and to many stupid mistakes.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:12 am

Which PT's have you been taking? The last four PTs that I've taken are PT 7, 9, 10, and 11, with scores of 168, 166, 167, and 165, respectively. Timing is an issue, but not that much. I still manage to finish my sections within the alotted time (LG is not that big of a deal; as long as the games are straigh forward, I usually end with five minutes to spare).

I'm thinking about taking an untimed test to make sure that I'm getting the contents right. I'm hoping that this'll have a kind of therapeutic effect in a sense that I'll be able to think through each and every problem; I'm hoping that I'd be able to achieve a 95% accuracy rate. What have you been doing to try and improve your score?

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 am

beidoun wrote:Averaging 167. I hit 170 once. Trying to get to 173 on real thing.

My biggest weakness is keeping focused during the test. I can get a -0/1 on LG consistently. For RC and LR, its inconsistent and to many stupid mistakes.

This is very true for me. I noticed that this is a concentration test in a way for some people. I think my physical condition really matters to. I've been getting a lot of shoulder pain, because I somewhat slouch while drilling, and maintaining that position for a prolonged period of time really hurts me... What have you been doing to keep more focus? Have you seen differences in your performance between morning/noon times?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:39 am

I have taken 29 and got a 161, 30 and got a 167, and 31 and got a 167. I have decided to start at prep test 15 to avoid mapping games because they drag down my score and some of the tests in the mid 40s because they have only 22 question logic games and I ace them.

I also dont have the time and money to buy and take all those test. I am focusing on taking two tests a week till the test. Maybe a little bit more in may.

I am currently messing up logic games and my timing can be much better on RC. Sometimes it can be hit or miss with RC.

Going slow on LR and RC has really helped with my concentration. I kind of look at it like meditating. When you meditate you try to make your mind clear and not think of anything. But if your thoughts drift it is ok. With the LSAT it is okay if my I day dream a bit, I just dont stress over it and try to jolt myself back into it.

Some times I do get a feeling of being overwhelmed when around the end third reading comp passage and my clock is down to the sing digits.

I am using a kitchen timer to time myself right now. Should I count the time on an analog watch too?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:40 am

beidoun wrote:Averaging 167. I hit 170 once. Trying to get to 173 on real thing.

Do you warm up?

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:49 am

I think it's really important to have the analog watch. It makes a huge difference; at least for me (I've used a stop watch at first, and was advised not to do that on TLS. To my surprise, the feeling is different).

I try my best to warm up with a logic game or two, preceded by an economist magazine article. I also take a look at previous LR sections to warm up. I have a total of 17 vacation allowances at work that I've saved up, and I'm tryin to slice those into "half days" so that I can use the morning to study for the test (I work about 55~60 hrs/week). Only if I could have taken a course...

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:05 am

count me in. hitting 164's and 165's consistently. need to get that 170. I honestly haven't improved that much since my diagnostic. I think I need to study better :|

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:14 am

James Bond wrote:count me in. hitting 164's and 165's consistently. need to get that 170. I honestly haven't improved that much since my diagnostic. I think I need to study better :|

Jesus Christ, you've got 7K posts and haven't taken the LSAT yet. You're a trooper.

But when it comes to your scores, what do you think is the cause? I think the reason why I keep hopping back and forth between the mid to high 160s is that I make silly mistakes, and I'm still honing my RC skills. I miss from -4 to -9 on RC, and it's killing me. I make stupid mistakes, and occasionally experience quirks in my logic during LGs.

Sometimes I just fail to see the logical flaw in an argument, and am completely lost.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:15 am

PLATONiC wrote:
James Bond wrote:count me in. hitting 164's and 165's consistently. need to get that 170. I honestly haven't improved that much since my diagnostic. I think I need to study better :|

Jesus Christ, you've got 7K posts and haven't taken the LSAT yet. You're a trooper.

But when it comes to your scores, what do you think is the cause? I think the reason why I keep hopping back and forth between the mid to high 160s is that I make silly mistakes, and I'm still honing my RC skills. I miss from -4 to -9 on RC, and it's killing me. I make stupid mistakes, and occasionally experience quirks in my logic during LGs.

Sometimes I just fail to see the logical flaw in an argument, and am completely lost.

I'm just not a logical person I've realized. Haha no the games mess with me. I end up diagramming wrong or second guessing myself or something. And ya...I've been here a while, and then discovered the lounge, and had back surgery so I was stuck in bed for a long time. It pumps the count up.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:43 am

I have taken the test 3 times thats what is freaking me out. I got a fourth test petition and have been studying for almost a year on and off.

hobbsey

Postby hobbsey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:44 am

Me me me 8) . I test consistently in the 164-169 range, more toward the upper end in the past three weeks. No 170s ahh! I’ve taken a mix of old and new tests. Unlike the rest of you guys, I consistently have a -3 or -4 on LG. These wrong answers are almost always from blind guessing as I run out of time. I know that this forum is of the opinion that it’s the easiest section to improve on and I know a lot of 170s scorers rely on a -0 LG so that’s my target area.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:48 am

hobbsey wrote:Me me me 8) . I test consistently in the 164-169 range, more toward the upper end in the past three weeks. No 170s ahh! I’ve taken a mix of old and new tests. Unlike the rest of you guys, I consistently have a -3 or -4 on LG. These wrong answers are almost always from blind guessing as I run out of time. I know that this forum is of the opinion that it’s the easiest section to improve on and I know a lot of 170s scorers rely on a -0 LG so that’s my target area.

Retaking test really messes me up if I remember them. It makes me think that I remember the right answers when I am remembering the traps. Which is a good thing I guess, it keeps me honest.

r3dhat

Postby r3dhat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:13 am

I'm getting 165-167. LG's aren't a problem (usually -1/-2), but its the damned RC that kills me (last one was -8)

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Good topic.

I've averaged 168 over 6 tests, hit 169 three times. I'm taking the day off today, the first one in a while, and I'm looking to hit questions by type hard over spring break next week. Gotta get that score up! I think breaks are probably good to let things sink in if you've plateaued, and I feel like burning through tests, even with thorough review, isn't as helpful as drilling question types. Photocopies of LGs, and practice reading comp. What else can ya do...

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:57 pm

This advice may not be for everyone, but if you are practicing every day you may benefit from taking a week off. I was practicing at 168 avg, took a week off and did 174. I just felt much calmer and relaxed when I did it.

HiLine

Postby HiLine » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:05 pm

BrightLine wrote:This advice may not be for everyone, but if you are practicing every day you may benefit from taking a week off. I was practicing at 168 avg, took a week off and did 174. I just felt much calmer and relaxed when I did it.

That's actually a valid method. It's the same idea as that when you go to sleep your brain will process the information that you have absorbed the preceding day and help you resolve problems that you failed to solve during the day. :D

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:04 pm

PLATONiC wrote:

This is very true for me. I noticed that this is a concentration test in a way for some people. I think my physical condition really matters to. I've been getting a lot of shoulder pain, because I somewhat slouch while drilling, and maintaining that position for a prolonged period of time really hurts me... What have you been doing to keep more focus? Have you seen differences in your performance between morning/noon times?

When I take a day off of studying in-between PTs and studying, I do a lot better. When I take a practice test two days in a row, I get my lowest score. As for morning/noon, I do not notice to much of a difference. I wake up for work at 6:30 so I do not have trouble getting my mind right in the morning.

I am trying to figure out what is the best routine for me to get into before I take a PT to get my mind right. I have been experimenting with different things and I am trying to see what works.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:08 pm

jarofsoup wrote:

Do you warm up?

Yeah I usually warm up with some LR questions. It has helped, its just the littlest distractions when I take the exams throws me off. So I just need to figure out how to stay completely focused. I know if I can completely focus for LR I can pull off a -0/-1.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:34 am

Prep test 33 has some monster LR. I got another 167 it seems like I am at a plateau. Even-though I would love to get a 167 on the real deal.

IncorrectReversal

Postby IncorrectReversal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Hey everyone,

I am happy to see this thread and that a bunch of others are in the same boat as me. I have only taken 4 full pt's (7-10) and have scored between 163-167 on all of them. I am about to make a spreadsheet with my wrong answers because i think there is somwhat of a pattern.

Anyway, my original plan was to take the testmasters course that starts april 3. I am questioning this plan, wondering if a course will help me make the jump to 170+ or if i can do it on my own. At this point lg is my best section while rc and lr are equally worse. Im a little worried because i know rc is the hardest to improve on.

Any opinions everyone? What are your thoughts about taking the course (please refrain from giving me a speech about tm). Money isnt a huge issues, this is the biggest test of my life. Wouldnt hurt to save 1450 though!

Thanks and GL Everyone!

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Last edited by rcharles on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a11 1n

Postby a11 1n » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Between 163-167 last time I took the exam and I scored a 161. About to start prepping again with hopes to push score into upper 160's / low 170's.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:55 pm

Just took my first practice test since Septembers Offical LSAT test and I got a 163. Not bad, but not great.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 am

jarofsoup wrote:I have taken 29 and got a 161, 30 and got a 167, and 31 and got a 167. I have decided to start at prep test 15 to avoid mapping games because they drag down my score and some of the tests in the mid 40s because they have only 22 question logic games and I ace them.

I also dont have the time and money to buy and take all those test. I am focusing on taking two tests a week till the test. Maybe a little bit more in may.

I am currently messing up logic games and my timing can be much better on RC. Sometimes it can be hit or miss with RC.

Going slow on LR and RC has really helped with my concentration. I kind of look at it like meditating. When you meditate you try to make your mind clear and not think of anything. But if your thoughts drift it is ok. With the LSAT it is okay if my I day dream a bit, I just dont stress over it and try to jolt myself back into it.

Some times I do get a feeling of being overwhelmed when around the end third reading comp passage and my clock is down to the sing digits.

I am using a kitchen timer to time myself right now. Should I count the time on an analog watch too?

Same.

Despite slowing down on RC and LR, I'm able to finish these sections much faster. Resolve the paradox.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”