Prep Testing at 167 how to get it on the real thing

jarofsoup

Prep Testing at 167 how to get it on the real thing

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:42 pm

I am taking the June LSAT. I have hit 167 about three times. I would like to hit 170 but would be happy with anything above a 164.

What are some steps I should take to ensure this? I am already do and plan on:

Strict timing
Bubble
I am giong to take it at the test center a couple weeks before the test to get a feel for enviroment.

I have not been taking prep test with an extra expiremental section. I havent had time to take that long of a test yet but I will do so when I am done with school.

Also,

If I want to hit 170 how high should I be getting on preptest before the test?

Philo38

Re: Prep Testing at 167 how to get it on the real thing

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:48 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I am taking the June LSAT. I have hit 167 about three times. I would like to hit 170 but would be happy with anything above a 164.

Strict timing
Bubble
I am giong to take it at the test center a couple weeks before the test to get a feel for enviroment.

I have not been taking prep test with an extra expiremental section. I havent had time to take that long of a test yet but I will do so when I am done with school.

Also,

What are your strengths/weaknessess? The specific answer to this question is different per case.

The MOST important thing you can do to get your LSAT over the hump is to sit down with the preptests you have taken so far (you should always take preptests with strict timing IMO BTW) and begin to determine your weaknesses. How many points are you dropping on a particular section? Are you missing a certain type of question frequently? Is timing your issue? Are you missing more questions near the end of the test or section (endurance problems)?

What you need to do is identify one obvious weakness, than make a plan to attack that specific weakness not just continuing to take PTests. You should do both. Work on your problem, and take the occassional PTest. ONce you have picked up a few points from targeting that problem, move on to the next.

But bottom line, there is no magic trick to improving your LSAT. It is important to honestly determine where your weaknessess are and than you can begin to target them.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Philo38 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I am taking the June LSAT. I have hit 167 about three times. I would like to hit 170 but would be happy with anything above a 164.

Strict timing
Bubble

Also,

What are your strengths/weaknessess? The specific answer to this question is different per case.

The MOST important thing you can do to get your LSAT over the hump is to sit down with the preptests you have taken so far (you should always take preptests with strict timing IMO BTW) and begin to determine your weaknesses. How many points are you dropping on a particular section? Are you missing a certain type of question frequently? Is timing your issue? Are you missing more questions near the end of the test or section (endurance problems)?

What you need to do is identify one obvious weakness, than make a plan to attack that specific weakness not just continuing to take PTests. You should do both. Work on your problem, and take the occassional PTest. ONce you have picked up a few points from targeting that problem, move on to the next.

But bottom line, there is no magic trick to improving your LSAT. It is important to honestly determine where your weaknessess are and than you can begin to target them.

Thanks for the advice. I am already doing strict timing and going over the test. I used to be able to get minus -1 to -3 on logic games but I took a few months off after my last attempt and became very slow again. I am getting like -7 on it.

For some reason I usually ace one LR section with -1 and the other one I get -4.

This maybe able to bump me over 170

RC I usually get 21 out of 27 or 28. I need to improve that.

I am not sure why but I score higher on sections towards the end of the test.

dbt

Postby dbt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Personally, if you're not hitting 2-3 points higher than your target score on prep tests, you probably won't get it. Testing pressures really do suck.

My best recommendation is, once you've gotten to where you're hitting 2-3 points higher than the score you want, drop the timing you give yourself on each section by 5 minutes (or maybe start out with 2/3 minutes, and slowly get up to 5 minutes). I did this and saw a pretty significant improvement both in how quickly I could finish sections and in how quickly I could force my brain to find the right answer.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:13 am

dbt wrote:Personally, if you're not hitting 2-3 points higher than your target score on prep tests, you probably won't get it. Testing pressures really do suck.

My best recommendation is, once you've gotten to where you're hitting 2-3 points higher than the score you want, drop the timing you give yourself on each section by 5 minutes (or maybe start out with 2/3 minutes, and slowly get up to 5 minutes). I did this and saw a pretty significant improvement both in how quickly I could finish sections and in how quickly I could force my brain to find the right answer.

That seems like a good idea. It could really mess up your score though. I usually finish the sections with about 15 seconds to spare.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:26 am

jarofsoup wrote:
dbt wrote:Personally, if you're not hitting 2-3 points higher than your target score on prep tests, you probably won't get it. Testing pressures really do suck.

That seems like a good idea. It could really mess up your score though. I usually finish the sections with about 15 seconds to spare.

Yea, I mean I definitely would not recommend doing this for the first time the day of the test, or even a week or two out. I spent the last monthish trying this prep method and saw an immediate drop in my score (as I couldn't do the questions in time), then I saw myself get quicker to the point that I had a good deal of time to check over answers on the real thing, as I was so used to doing the sections (and doing well on them) in 30 minutes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”