Those Last Few Points

Those Last Few Points

Postby BrightLine » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:14 am

Exactly 12 weeks until the LSAT and I like where I am. I started at 162 at the beginning of February and did a 174 proctored PT today (studied 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week).

But the purpose of this thread is not to brag, its to look for advice on how to nail those last few questions from people who have been able to do that. I don't really have a strength or weakness. Today I did

LG -2
LR -4 (2 each)
RC -1

My feeling is that it comes down to focus, looking at those 7 now I am annoyed that I missed them.

Any advice moving forward?

Re: Those Last Few Points

Postby pinkzeppelin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:21 am

You're absolutely right: once you get to that level, it's about focus. It's all about the details at that point. I found that sleep was the biggest contributor to variability in my PT and actual test scores. My only advice is to have a healthy, consistent diet the weeks coming up to the exam and getting good sleep every night.

Postby tomwatts » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:51 am

At that point it can be anything. It can be mood/focus/energy. It can be that you have one or two minor technique problems that you still haven't fixed. It can be any minute little detail. So going over your work really, really carefully is of the utmost importance, and doing questions repeatedly is still useful (make sure you can nail the majority of the questions quickly so that you can slow down on the ones you do have to think about).

But at the 175+ mark, it's completely individual. No mistake is insignificant. You have to look at your own work as closely as you can.

And if you think it's a focus thing, take a small break, sleep well, eat well, de-stress, and try it again.

Postby HiLine » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:09 am

At this point you primarily need to build up your endurance and may have to 'slow down' a bit. How about taking some PT's with 33 minutes per section then returning to the official timing?

Postby yeff » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:38 pm

tomwatts wrote:(make sure you can nail the majority of the questions quickly so that you can slow down on the ones you do have to think about).

This. I can't remember which book suggested it as a metric, but I always aimed to finish the first 10 questions in 10 minutes or less. There's not a direct progression as in the GRE or other progressive tests, but I found that the really killer questions almost always came later. Being able to breeze through the majority of questions very quickly with perfect accuracy gave the flexibility to slooooooooow down on the tough questions.

On the actual test I ended up with the time on LR to circle the most difficult ones and review them in the last 3-4 minutes, catching a mistake or two.

It also helps in terms of flexibility for any freak-outs. I definitely had too much adrenaline and too much caffeine in the first section, and was lucky to finish the games. I got two credited via barely-educated guesses based on seeing which variables where more restricted and seeing which letters were underrepresented in the section's bubbling.

That, and the Dec. 09 curve was -14.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”