LSAT Prep - Class Suggestions

bluepaperclip

LSAT Prep - Class Suggestions

Postby bluepaperclip » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:06 pm

I am currently a junior at a private university in the Midwest region of the United States. I have yet to sign-up to take the LSAT, but I am thinking about June 2010. My standardized test scores reflect my academic strengths. For example, on the ACT I did very well on the reading and English sections, but did not do nearly as well on the science and math sections. I completely understand how the ACT is comparable to a cakewalk when matched against the LSAT. In order to prepare myself, I plan on enrolling in either a Test Masters, Kaplan or Princeton Review classroom course. I have found that Test Masters begins the course in my area at the beginning of April and ends the week before the actual LSAT in June.

If you would, please share the following with me:

1.) Have you ever taken an LSAT prep course with Test Masters, Kaplan or Princeton Review?

2.) If so, please indicate which company and if you believe it helped you in preparation for the LSAT and in reaching your desired score.

I do not want to waste a bucket load of money on a course that will not help me do well on the LSAT.

Thank you for your help!

tomwatts

Re: LSAT Prep - Class Suggestions

Postby tomwatts » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:48 am

I teach for Princeton Review, so I can tell you anything you want to know about the courses. I assume you're looking at a Hyperlearning (the longer, 84-hour), not an Accelerated (shorter, 28-hour)? Some Hyperlearning courses have already started, so you'd better get moving if you want the real deal.

My next bit of advice is that this is usually based on your local teachers, not on the company. If there is a Hyperlearning class that hasn't started yet, call the local Princeton Review office and ask if it's been staffed yet. If so, ask if you can find out about the teacher (especially if the teacher is a tutor: you can always ask for the tutor bio). Big pluses include if the teacher is a higher-end tutor (Master or Premier) or a Master Trainer.

I have no idea what sort of terminology Kaplan or TM uses for the same sorts of things, but if you want to shop around, do the same thing by calling them. Ask for info on the teacher: qualifications, etc.

Oh, and if you happen to be in Michigan and can take a course with Danny Chun, do so. The dude's a rock star.

bluepaperclip

Postby bluepaperclip » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:53 am

tomwatts wrote:I teach for Princeton Review, so I can tell you anything you want to know about the courses. I assume you're looking at a Hyperlearning (the longer, 84-hour), not an Accelerated (shorter, 28-hour)? Some Hyperlearning courses have already started, so you'd better get moving if you want the real deal.

My next bit of advice is that this is usually based on your local teachers, not on the company. If there is a Hyperlearning class that hasn't started yet, call the local Princeton Review office and ask if it's been staffed yet. If so, ask if you can find out about the teacher (especially if the teacher is a tutor: you can always ask for the tutor bio). Big pluses include if the teacher is a higher-end tutor (Master or Premier) or a Master Trainer.

I have no idea what sort of terminology Kaplan or TM uses for the same sorts of things, but if you want to shop around, do the same thing by calling them. Ask for info on the teacher: qualifications, etc.

Oh, and if you happen to be in Michigan and can take a course with Danny Chun, do so. The dude's a rock star.

Thank you so much! I'm actually in Iowa!

skip james

Postby skip james » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:32 am

tomwatts wrote:My next bit of advice is that this is usually based on your local teachers, not on the company.

You're beginning to grow on me Tom.

OP, I believe this is sound advice.

johnwic11

Postby johnwic11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 am

Tom,

I am looking into getting a tutor for my wife through the princeton review. The guy over the phone recommended the master over the standard saying its guarenteed quality. We are currently in the Norfolk Va area, so if you know any specific names please let me know. Her score was 154 and shes trying to get it to 160 for the june test. Not looking at a top school just a tier 3, but hoping for scholarhsip money to compliment her gi bill. Thanks

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:07 pm

I think I don't know Norfolk VA, particularly, but because of the way our system of promotions works, I agree with the guy you talked to: if you can afford the little bit extra, Master is the way to go, because you get someone with a bunch of experience and a history of good score improvements. I say this a lot, but ask for and read the tutor's bio. It's a blurb of the tutor's qualifications. If the tutor's even halfway decent, it should sound impressive.

You know, it's possible that I know a tutor in that area but don't realize it. If you find out names of possible tutors and ask me about them, I may know one of them.

johnwic11

Postby johnwic11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Tom,

Princeton review would only meet us halfway from washington dc which would be about an hour and forty five minute drive just to see a tutor. I called kaplan and they have tutors available in this area. I have heard great things about princeton review, but i am not quite sure its worth the extra hassle. Again not looking for a high boost but enough to earn some scholarship money to offset gi bill. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”