Which is better?

quasi-stellar

Which is better?

Postby quasi-stellar » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm trying to follow pithypike's strategy ( more or less) and wanted to ask a technical question: is it better to focus on each section entirely or to do a little of everything.
In the first strategy one would do only games (for a week or so), followed by reasonig for another week and then RC, or would you study less but each section daily?
My personal opinion is that the former is a better strategy since it allows for more focus.
Is anybody else doing it this way?

tomwatts

Re: Which is better?

Postby tomwatts » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:57 am

When I originally studied (4 years ago), I did a Games section every day and alternated between LR and RC alongside it (so Games and LR one day, Games and RC the next, Games and LR the next, and so on). I found that this worked really well for me. But then, I was never really in the position of having figuring out what was up with the sections. I never thought, "Okay, I'm screwing up LR and really need to fix my approach here, so I need to do 23407013 LR questions to fix it." If you're in the position of really needing to fix something, then I could see concentrating on one subject for a few days (maybe even a week).

shoop

Re: Which is better?

Postby shoop » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:29 pm

quasi-stellar wrote:I'm trying to follow pithypike's strategy ( more or less) and wanted to ask a technical question: is it better to focus on each section entirely or to do a little of everything.
In the first strategy one would do only games (for a week or so), followed by reasonig for another week and then RC, or would you study less but each section daily?
My personal opinion is that the former is a better strategy since it allows for more focus.
Is anybody else doing it this way?

For me, I know I would forget too much if I studied only one section per week. I also noticed that the pithypike method recommends a "do, review, review" sequence, which I thought lent itself well to rotating through different sections each day and reviewing the previous day's work after the main material of the study session. I set up a schedule for myself that rotates between LG, RC, and LR. Each day except Sunday has a primary and secondary task, and Sunday is reserved for makeup and for working on anything that gave me particular trouble during the week.

It goes something like this (for the first two months, at least):

Monday:
Primary: Run and review 7 or 8 new logic games
Secondary: Review and re-run last Thursday's new logic games

Tuesday:
Primary: Do and review 2 timed reading comp sections
Secondary: Review yesterday's new logic games

Wednesday:
Primary: Review relevant section of LR bible and run some questions in Kaplan Mastery (or other consolidated-by-type LR question book of choice)
Secondary: Review yesterday's reading comp sections, focusing on what in the passage would have helped me get the missed questions right

Thursday:
Primary: Run and review 7 or 8 new logic games
Secondary: Review and re-run Monday's new logic games

Friday:
Primary: Do and review 2 timed reading comp sections
Secondary: Review yesterday's new logic games

Saturday:
Primary: Review relevant section of LR bible and run some questions in Kaplan Mastery (or other consolidated-by-type LR question book of choice)
Secondary: Review yesterday's reading comp sections, focusing on what in the passage would have helped me get the missed questions right

Sunday: Make up any day I missed or didn't have enough time for both primary and secondary tasks, then a LG review binge... on Sundays I re-run all the games that I did for the first time on Monday and Thursday of the week before, plus any games where, in the last 2 attempts, I got a question wrong or took over 8 minutes to get 100%.

I built a spreadsheet that tracks the dates, scores, and times of all my LG attempts and uses conditional formatting to show me whether I'm getting faster or slower on successive runs of each LG, and points out which I've recently had a missed question. My approach to LGs has me running some games more than the 3 times pithypike recommends, but because games are my weak spot and repetition works well for me, it seems to be working. At this point, I can do ANY balanced basic linear problem in 7 minutes or less, and unbalanced basic linears are coming along nicely.

Scheduling everything in advance has kept me on track (which was my main reason for considering a prep course), and will help me avoid having to cram in May or run out of material. For example, I realized I wouldn't get to the more recent RCs by the end of April if I started with 10 Actual Official, so I started RC review at 10 More.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”