Official LSAT PrepTest 21, Section 2, Question 19

LSAT_Padawan

Official LSAT PrepTest 21, Section 2, Question 19

Postby LSAT_Padawan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Can some explain the stimulus sentence, "Since the proportion of any gas in such an atmosphere depends directly on how readily the corresponding ice vaporizes, astronomers have concluded that the components of Pluto's atmosphere are nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane, in order of decreasing abundance." I am particularly confused with the wording, "in order of decreasing abundance."

And why is the correct answer (C) There is no frozen substance on the surface of Pluto that vaporizes more readily than methane but less readily than carbon monoxide?

Thank you for your enlightenment.

typ3

Re: Official LSAT PrepTest 21, Section 2, Question 19

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:45 pm

I don't have my materials in front of me, but i vaguely remember it and will try to answer it for you.

I'll try to reword it to layman's terms.

Since the proportion of any gas in such an atmosphere depends directly on how readily the corresponding ice vaporizes

The composition of gas within a planet's atmosphere relates to how easily ice of a gas melts and evaporates.

Meaning, if ice made from pixie gas vaporizes more easily than ice swamp gas, the atmosphere will be composed of more pixie gas than swamp gas.

astronomers have concluded that the components of Pluto's atmosphere are nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane, in order of decreasing abundance.

Scientists have said the ONLY components of Pluto's atmosphere are gases that originate from the frozen ice of Nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane.

In order of decreasing abundance means they are listed from most abundant to the least.

Nitrogen > Carbon Monoxide > Methane.

C is correct because the scientists have deduced the components of the atmosphere are Nitrogen C/M and Methane. If there were a frozen substance that vaporized more than methane and less than carbon monoxide, then there would be a gas in the atmosphere from that ice. Since there is not, there cannot be a frozen substance on the planet other than the elements Nitrogen, Carbon Monoxide, and Methane.

Hope that helps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”