LSAT Questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bballfreak56

New

LSAT Questions

Post by bballfreak56 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:53 pm

I know a lot of people reading these have already taken the LSAT. So I thought this would be a good blog for us to ask questions about some of the details of the LSAT. I was wondering if you get scrap paper for the logic games, whether you get to see the timer, and if they give you breaks in between sections? Thanks to anyone who might know these answers!

Shrimps

Bronze

Re: LSAT Questions

Post by Shrimps » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 pm

1. No you don't (write in the margins/empty spaces)
2. No you don't (5 minutes before the end of each section will be announced; bring an analog watch/stopwatch)
3. You get one 15 minute break between sections 1-3 and sections 4-5-writing sample.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:37 pm

One thing I want to add is that there is really NO break between sections. I knew we weren't going to have a break, but I seriously didn't think it was like 15 seconds between sections. My proctors just read off the sheet, reset the timer and went. You really need to clear your mind of the last section and not dwell on any mistakes or misses. It will hurt you big time if you can't let it go.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:One thing I want to add is that there is really NO break between sections. I knew we weren't going to have a break, but I seriously didn't think it was like 15 seconds between sections. My proctors just read off the sheet, reset the timer and went. You really need to clear your mind of the last section and not dwell on any mistakes or misses. It will hurt you big time if you can't let it go.
Yeah, this is something you must keep in mind when you begin taking PTs.

During the actual LSAT, the proctor calls "time" and tells everyone to put his or her pencil down. Then the proctor immediately says something along the lines of, "we will now begin section 2. you will have 35 minutes to work on section 2 - blah, blah, blah", and then, "now turn your test booklets to section 2 and you may begin."

There was roughly a 20-second break b/w sections when I took the LSAT. It really is go-go-go, and unless a test-taker needs to be reprimanded for not putting down his or her pencil, expect each section to IMMEDIATELY follow the previous one.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Both times I took it, the proctor put a giant (analog) clock in the front of the room that everyone could see and set it to a convenient time (so if we were actually starting at 9:07, the clock was set to 9:00 when we started so we'd finish at 9:35 on the clock). I didn't really need my watch. But I gather that's not a universal practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:12 am

tomwatts wrote:Both times I took it, the proctor put a giant (analog) clock in the front of the room that everyone could see and set it to a convenient time (so if we were actually starting at 9:07, the clock was set to 9:00 when we started so we'd finish at 9:35 on the clock). I didn't really need my watch. But I gather that's not a universal practice.
No, which is crazy. A large, easy to read countdown timer or similar should be standard in every room, it sucks that LSAC is so blase about standardizing the test-taking environment. One person can get a brightly lit, 72 degree room with a large LED countdown timer, their own large desk and 30 second breaks between sections, while someone one town over might get a dim, 63 degree room with folding half-desks, no clock at all and 3 seconds between sections.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 am

Yep.. I got maybe 3 seconds between the sections. The proctor just said something along the lines of "please put your pencils down", made sure everybody did, then immediately said "now you may begin the next section". Didn't bother reading the instructions again.... Sort of threw me for the first 5 minutes of my second section.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:24 pm

I got lucky and got reassigned to a different testing center which was awesome. If anyone has to take in the Philly area, take it at Villanova. The rooms are quiet, the desks are huge and they skip a seat between people, you can lay 3 test booklets side by side and still be within your space. I think I would have definitely suffered (and my score) if I had to use a folding desk.

They brought in a small analog clock, which from where I was sitting, looked smaller than my watch. I agree they could just set the standard and bring in a digital count down clock then there will be no chance of time dispute and no chance of calling the wrong time. For every time-sensitive activity I have ever been involved, there always was an official time that anyone could see. This is even more important and serious than professional sports, I don't understand the reason not to do it.

That said, I think be constantly exposed to time remaining is a distraction. Many of us put on self-imposed pressure to go slightly faster and end up rushing and being careless. If you practiced well and have a well conceived plan, you should be able to treat it like practice. I bubbled all the remaining answers when they called 5 minutes then corrected as I went along. I did not look at my watch once during the test, only during the writing sample. I must say I was startled by the 5 minute calls a couple of times. But I was able to keep my concentration throughout without worrying about time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”