Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby zephyr36 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 pm

I'm planning on taking the test next October. I'll be applying next Fall. I would take the June LSAT, but I'm really busy this semester and the test falls on Monday of my finals week. I'm thinking of ordering the bibles and some of the earlier tests to do some studying here or there, but it will be light. A couple hours a week maybe. Am I not going to be retaining anything by doing this? Meaning, by the time that I have to hit the books hard this summer will I really have retained anything with such a lax study schedule?

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Why not just wait for the Sept/Oct administration? It still gives you plenty of time to apply early. That way you could use your summer to study, i know the studying helped to boost my confidence. It was important for me.

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby zephyr36 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:32 pm

zephyr36 wrote:I'm planning on taking the test next October. I'll be applying next Fall. I would take the June LSAT, but I'm really busy this semester and the test falls on Monday of my finals week. I'm thinking of ordering the bibles and some of the earlier tests to do some studying here or there, but it will be light. A couple hours a week maybe. Am I not going to be retaining anything by doing this? Meaning, by the time that I have to hit the books hard this summer will I really have retained anything with such a lax study schedule?

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby CG614 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:38 pm

zephyr36 wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:I'm planning on taking the test next October. I'll be applying next Fall. I would take the June LSAT, but I'm really busy this semester and the test falls on Monday of my finals week. I'm thinking of ordering the bibles and some of the earlier tests to do some studying here or there, but it will be light. A couple hours a week maybe. Am I not going to be retaining anything by doing this? Meaning, by the time that I have to hit the books hard this summer will I really have retained anything with such a lax study schedule?


You'll retain more than isaiah6v8, as he couldn't retain your question long enough to formulate a coherent answer. :lol:

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:03 pm

actually I think it was the run-on question that was incoherent, I thought he was trying to justify taking it in June, despite his intention to take it in Oct. I merely suggested that he maintain the idea of Oct.

logicman86
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby logicman86 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:10 pm

zephyr36 wrote:I'm planning on taking the test next October. I'll be applying next Fall. I would take the June LSAT, but I'm really busy this semester and the test falls on Monday of my finals week. I'm thinking of ordering the bibles and some of the earlier tests to do some studying here or there, but it will be light. A couple hours a week maybe. Am I not going to be retaining anything by doing this? Meaning, by the time that I have to hit the books hard this summer will I really have retained anything with such a lax study schedule?


I can say as somebody who tutors and teaches the LSAT for a big company that, that is not going to be enough. To improve my score 10 points from where I started, I had to study 30 hours a week for 3 months. If you start at a 140, that may well be enough work to break a 150. However, to expect tremendous improvement this way is just naive.

If you are set on saving $ and tutoring yourself, I would recommend buying the Kaplan Course books through someone on craigslist and ebay. They break it up in a very useful way. You have a mastery book to learn each question type individually, then a pacing book to time the sections correctly and finally an endurance book for full exams.

I would recommend learning how to do each individual question type before doing full tests.

User avatar
ihurtmyselftoday
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 am

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:24 pm

How much time you spend studying really depends on your diagnostic and target score as well as your knack for applied reasoning. If you already have a good grasp of the fundamentals of logic, you really only need to practice the test as much as possible to improve your timing. 10-20 practice tests should do it, but I would save that mental energy for the 1-2 months leading up to the test. You also might want to practice the logic games. But, as someone who studied the logic games bible for more than 3 months prior to the test...don't expect too much. LG was by far my worst section with -10 (-2 total in the remaining 3 sections). For those other three sections I improved my score from averaging -4 per section to less than -1 per section on test day, simply by doing practice test. I did 10. Always using 5 sections instead of 4.

But, if you don't have a good grasp of fundamental logic, pick up an introductory text book on the subject. That can be your light reading until you have the time to start taking timed, 5 section practice test.

/thread

logicman86
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:11 pm

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:How much time you spend studying really depends on your diagnostic and target score as well as your knack for applied reasoning. If you already have a good grasp of the fundamentals of logic, you really only need to practice the test as much as possible to improve your timing. 10-20 practice tests should do it, but I would save that mental energy for the 1-2 months leading up to the test. You also might want to practice the logic games. But, as someone who studied the logic games bible for more than 3 months prior to the test...don't expect too much. LG was by far my worst section with -10 (-2 total in the remaining 3 sections). For those other three sections I improved my score from averaging -4 per section to less than -1 per section on test day, simply by doing practice test. I did 10. Always using 5 sections instead of 4.

But, if you don't have a good grasp of fundamental logic, pick up an introductory text book on the subject. That can be your light reading until you have the time to start taking timed, 5 section practice test.

/thread


good point. a current client of mine scored a 148 on her diagnostic, but she learned how to recognize assumptions in literally 5 minutes of a session, and now scores high 150s consistently from only 1-2 hours of tutoring. it's hard to predict improvement, because some people have all the skills but just don't know how to apply them, while others with identical starting scores have somewhat innate difficulty thinking the correct way.

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby zephyr36 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Alright. Apparently I was very unclear in my initial post because no one has answered my question. I apologize. My goal is not to study 1-2 hours a week and take the June LSAT. I already know that this is not enough. My question is: is it advisable to start doing some very light studying now until summer where I will be studying 20+ hours a week in preparation for the Oct. test? Will I just not retain things at such a light pace and waste sections?

Edit: I took a timed diagnostic and scored a 155 if that matters. My goal is to hit 170.

logicman86
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby logicman86 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:17 am

zephyr36 wrote:Alright. Apparently I was very unclear in my initial post because no one has answered my question. I apologize. My goal is not to study 1-2 hours a week and take the June LSAT. I already know that this is not enough. My question is: is it advisable to start doing some very light studying now until summer where I will be studying 20+ hours a week in preparation for the Oct. test? Will I just not retain things at such a light pace and waste sections?

Edit: I took a timed diagnostic and scored a 155 if that matters. My goal is to hit 170.


Yes. That certainly can't hurt. A 155 is a long way's away from a 170, and I don't think you're yet at the point where you can train yourself... i.e. if you get something wrong, look at the answer choices and immediately know what your mistake was. Buy a book that has explanations to the questions, and start there... you'll probably notice patterns. In the summer, address those patterns.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby tomwatts » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Light studying does good for some, not for others. Hard to know until you try it. You'll know if it's working: if you feel as though you're forgetting everything from one sitting to the next, it's not working.

Miznitic
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby Miznitic » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:55 am

I scored a 141 in Feb of '09, and a 179 in feb of '10.

How'd I do it? Studied/Practiced Obsessively. From about June to Feb I ran through as many PTs as I could. I read through all three PS Bibles, applied their concepts to the questions and Analyzed why questions were wrong/correct. You don't necessarily need a tutor, just discipline and time.

rocksolid325
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby rocksolid325 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:47 am

Miznitic wrote:I scored a 141 in Feb of '09, and a 179 in feb of '10.

How'd I do it? Studied/Practiced Obsessively. From about June to Feb I ran through as many PTs as I could. I read through all three PS Bibles, applied their concepts to the questions and Analyzed why questions were wrong/correct. You don't necessarily need a tutor, just discipline and time.


wow, that is very, very impressive. congratulations!

waxecstatic
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby waxecstatic » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:01 am

That is incredible. How are you going to explain the low score when you apply? Congrats on the amazing improvement!

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Will I be wasting sections by studying this lightly?

Postby typ3 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:43 am

Worst part is the schools that average scores will average you to 160 :-/




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros and 4 guests