Bueprint Movie Course for June/October 2010 LSAT

bp colin

Re: Bueprint Movie Course for June/October 2010 LSAT

Postby bp colin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:23 pm

merc280 wrote:would you say the average amount of studying per day is around 3-4 hours? or less than that.

Generally, each lesson's homework takes 4-8 hours. That's in addition to the time it takes to do the actual lesson, which is roughly 4 hours (but of course you should take longer if you feel the need). If you can do 3-4 hours per day, you should be good, but you might find yourself upping it as you go. As the lessons progress, they get longer and harder, and you very well might find that the lessons' homework takes longer and longer to do. Over the course of the BP curriculum, you'll be doing every single released LSAT problem, so it's a ton of work.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:03 am

How many lessons are there?

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 am

typ3 wrote:How many lessons are there?

16 lessons. The first 13 introduce new material while reviewing and reinforcing previous lesson. The last three are mostly review (and incredibly long - over 100 pages each). There are also workshops interspersed, which take about 5 hours to do. Then four practice exams, two time trials (basically more practice exams to build stamina), and a huge book full of extra tests.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:26 am

Bleh.. I only need assistance on LR.. I don't know if the price tag warrants that :-/ too bad you don't have a section specific price / lesson plan.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:21 am

officially signing up for this tomorrow! can't wait to get my books and get started :lol:

makingwaves

Postby makingwaves » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:20 am

merc280 wrote:would you say the average amount of studying per day is around 3-4 hours? or less than that.

I study about 3-4 hrs a day, 3 days a week and 5-6 hrs on one weekend day and I seem to be able to knock out two lessons a week. The later lessons the books are definitely fatter, so i'm trying to get through the easier stuff quicker so I get everything done without feeling like I rushed.

I think less than the 3-4 hrs and you probably wouldn't retain the methods quite as well.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:17 pm

bp colin wrote:

16 lessons. The first 13 introduce new material while reviewing and reinforcing previous lesson. The last three are mostly review (and incredibly long - over 100 pages each). There are also workshops interspersed, which take about 5 hours to do. Then four practice exams, two time trials (basically more practice exams to build stamina), and a huge book full of extra tests.

how many practice tests will I be taking during the course, is it just the 4? I ordered all of the prep tests a while back, but since the blueprint course states I'll be doing every question that was administered, do I still need all of those prep tests?

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:03 pm

merc280 wrote:
bp colin wrote:

how many practice tests will I be taking during the course, is it just the 4? I ordered all of the prep tests a while back, but since the blueprint course states I'll be doing every question that was administered, do I still need all of those prep tests?

There are 16 tests. 4 of them are 5-section tests (with an "experimental" section), and 12 are 4-section tests. If you want you can turn the 4-section tests into 5-section tests by butchering PTs to make "experimental" sections, but we leave that choice up to you. You'll end up doing every problem from every PT, but they're dispersed and mixed throughout the actual curriculum and homework.

So you probably won't need those extra prep tests that you bought. If you were to take them after doing all the BP curriculum you would have already seem them all before, albeit in a totally different order. So your score might be slightly inflated. The exception is the tests from LSAC SuperPrep. The tests in that book (Feb 96 99 and 00 I believe) aren't licensed to testprep companies last I checked. If you have any other questions about the curriculum and/or tests feel free to pm me.

Board Administrator - I don't mean to just advertise for BP courses, but I'm assuming it's kosher to answer direct questions. Let me know if it's not.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:55 pm

basicgrey7 wrote:Have you been able to edit your profile? I added a picture but couldn't change my gender or set my profile to public.

Have you been able to edit your profile yet? I can't change my gender or set it to public either!...every time I click update it goes back to how it was before..so I guess blueprint wants me to remain a private male :( haha

basicgrey7

Postby basicgrey7 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:49 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
basicgrey7 wrote:Have you been able to edit your profile? I added a picture but couldn't change my gender or set my profile to public.

Have you been able to edit your profile yet? I can't change my gender or set it to public either!...every time I click update it goes back to how it was before..so I guess blueprint wants me to remain a private male :( haha

I emailed blueprint, they have to change it for you i guess.

makingwaves

Postby makingwaves » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm

I just finished lesson 4 and am still loving the course! How's everyone else progressing?

FREEDOM99

Postby FREEDOM99 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm now very confused with thier LR techniques and getting more questions wrong. This course seems to be making me worse. :(

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:23 pm

FREEDOM99 wrote:I'm now very confused with thier LR techniques and getting more questions wrong. This course seems to be making me worse. :(

If any of the techniques are giving you trouble, and your accuracy is going down, it's important that you don't just keep going through them while getting a good proportion wrong, or you else won't improve much. You need to figure out why you're missing them. After every one you get wrong, you should ascertain out why you liked the wrong one, and why it's actually wrong, as well as why you didn't like the right one, and why it's actually right. Some of the methods definitely seem clunky and confusing at first, but if you implement them correctly and practice a lot, they really will make you faster and more accurate. There are the video explanations for a lot of the LR homework, and don't forget about the email helpline if you have questions - about individual problems, how to implement the methods, or anything else. You should definitely take advantage of it.

Jimjones

Re: Blueprint Movie Course for June/October 2010 LSAT

Postby Jimjones » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:38 pm

I am taking the course and loving it too. I am absorbing the materials much better than just plodding through the Powerscore bibles.

My Blueprint diagnostic was 154 as I got slaughtered in the RC and LG.

I am already much better at LG, and LR is also on much firmer footing. RC is going to just take a lot of work as I neglected it prior the BP course. My goal is 160+ (164+ and I will be ecstatic) and I think I could possibly score the 160 today with what i've learned so far.

As of today I am half way through the first workshop and didn't miss a single implication question. I am happy about that. Next is RC...uh-oh!

The course is very funny, very well explained, loaded with resources, and really makes you feel like you can beat the snot out of the LSAT.

lfrank

Postby lfrank » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:31 am

Enjoying the course so far, but I've got one big question. RC was my strongest area to begin with, and I generally don't miss more than 1 or 2 (if that) per complete section. Is there any reason to follow the BP method if I'm not having trouble? I tried it a couple of times, and basically all it did was slow me down.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:27 pm

lfrank wrote:Enjoying the course so far, but I've got one big question. RC was my strongest area to begin with, and I generally don't miss more than 1 or 2 (if that) per complete section. Is there any reason to follow the BP method if I'm not having trouble? I tried it a couple of times, and basically all it did was slow me down.

It definitely slows you down a lot at first. If you really practice it a whole lot, it'll eventually make you faster and more accurate. It basically teaches you what structures and specifics you should look for, because they get asked about a lot, and retrains you how to read. I've seen tons of people in your situation, and you have to trust that it'll work. And even if, for argument's sake, it didn't help, you could always go back to your old ways of missing 1-2 per complete section (which is pretty insanely good).

lfrank

Postby lfrank » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks very much for the advice. I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of practicing the BP method, but it's hard to get over my initial impatience.

HaydenNoble

Postby HaydenNoble » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:01 am

I am taking this course as well. I have a friend who has taken testmasters and did well on the LSAT through a lot of self-study. He has looked over the blueprint movie material and thinks that is a whole lot better than testmasters, especially the books. Now I don't want to hear an argument about blueprint copied testmasters because... well go look at the court case for it.

In any case, I am taking this quarter off to study for the LSAT only so I study everyday for about a good 8-12 hours. I must say, if you really want to make full use of this course, aside from the lessons, the homework will take you the majority of the time. Honestly, I think the homework is the best part because they have answer explanations in video and in audio for pretty much every single question on the LSAT. If lets say you have 90 questions for the homework (3 parts of 30), doing the question will take lets say 3 minutes and listening the answer explanations will take about 3-5 minutes. That is 8 minutes per question. This means that homework will take about 720 minutes or 12 hours. Of course you can NOT get the full benefit of the course by only reviewing the questions that you get wrong (which imo is pretty silly).

Nonetheless, I find this course very good and at first I said that I would at 12 hours a day finish a lesson a day and then go through the lessons once again before I take practice tests, but I found out that the later lessons are a lot of review. 1 lesson every 2 days is pretty good. First day, go through a lesson and a third or a half of the homework. The second day, go over the rest of the homework and review which questions gave you extra trouble (but of course review all questions as you go along). Going by this schedule for the June 2010 exam, after you finish lesson 16, (starting today) you can take 14 prep tests every other day after Lesson 16 up until the LSAT while leaving 3 days of rest before the LSAT.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me! LSAT is my life for the next 63 days.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:50 am

To those who are taking the course: Has anyone noticed that they occasionally use old stimulus passages with different prompts and answer choices that haven't existed on previous examinations? I noticed that they use the same stimulus in different concept sections with different prompts/answer choices, and I wouldn't normally have an issue but this one question I was still confused as to why it was wrong, and that's when it hit me that this was probably a Blueprint devised prompt/answer choice question. I mean, I listened to the explanations in the resources and I have no doubt that they know what they're doing, but I just thought that was a little iffy in that regard, esp considering that I had only their explanations to rely on when I wanted to view explanations from Kaplan/PR answer explanations to better understand perhaps why I got certain problems wrong.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 am

lsatextreme wrote:To those who are taking the course: Has anyone noticed that they occasionally use old stimulus passages with different prompts and answer choices that haven't existed on previous examinations? I noticed that they use the same stimulus in different concept sections with different prompts/answer choices, and I wouldn't normally have an issue but this one question I was still confused as to why it was wrong, and that's when it hit me that this was probably a Blueprint devised prompt/answer choice question. I mean, I listened to the explanations in the resources and I have no doubt that they know what they're doing, but I just thought that was a little iffy in that regard, esp considering that I had only their explanations to rely on when I wanted to view explanations from Kaplan/PR answer explanations to better understand perhaps why I got certain problems wrong.

We actually didn't write those ones. What happened is that when it showed up on the test, it was one stimulus with two prompts (this happens fairly regularly). But the prompts are two different question types, so we sometimes split them into their respective categories for when you're drilling them. You can look in the answer key, and it'll show what test the came from. For example, in lesson 5, the chocolate causing acne problem was done twice, with different prompts. If you look in the answer key, you'll see that they were consecutive problems from the same section on the same test. So no, not Blueprint devised, but Blueprint divided.

And if you ever have questions about a problem that go deeper than an explanation video, or if you just want clarification on something, don't forget about the email helpline.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:10 am

ah you're right. that makes perfect sense

didn't consider all factors, need to make sure i don't make that mistake on the LSAT

ecrew

Postby ecrew » Fri May 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Any updates on BLUEPRINT The Movie course. If anyone is taking it now, or already completed it, I would like to know your thoughts on the course. I am especially interested if anyone can compare the movie to the Powerscore bibles. Thanks a lot.

ecrew

Postby ecrew » Fri May 28, 2010 6:16 pm

bump

The ASSET

Postby The ASSET » Sat May 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Yeah, I would also like info on this Blueprint movie.

The ASSET

Postby The ASSET » Sun May 30, 2010 10:38 pm

bump

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”