165 LSAT?

shane0515

165 LSAT?

Postby shane0515 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:05 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering how hard it would be to get a 165 on the LSAT?

I've been studying every night for 2 hours since October 2009 and I'm getting ready to take practice tests this summer. I'm taking either the september or december 2010 LSAT

I'm really bad at standardized tests and I really want a 165. How hard is it to get this score?

Thanks

Lieut Kaffee

Re: 165 LSAT?

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:07 am

It depends how smart you are. You haven't even provided any indication of your score range in the OP.

But with your apparently strong work ethic and several more months to study, my gut reaction is "very easy."

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:08 am

shane0515 wrote:Hey guys,

I've been studying every night for 2 hours since October 2009 and I'm getting ready to take practice tests this summer. I'm taking either the september or december 2010 LSAT

I'm really bad at standardized tests and I really want a 165. How hard is it to get this score?

Thanks

How have you been studying without taking practice tests?

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:08 am

Thanks

1) buy a practice test

2) take said practice test

3) calculate score

4) profit

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:09 am

rayiner wrote:

Thanks

How have you been studying without taking practice tests?

Prep books?

shane0515

Postby shane0515 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 pm

I've been using the 3 powerscore bibles. I've ran through each one at least 3 times. In May I'll be taking 1 practice test a day every day of the week.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:51 pm

shane0515 wrote:I've been using the 3 powerscore bibles. I've ran through each one at least 3 times. In May I'll be taking 1 practice test a day every day of the week.

it might help to take a couple now just to get a feel, then take a month off, do so again in april, take another month off. My largest gains in score didn't come from non-stop studying, but from long periods away from studying.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:01 pm

I think it is very doable, but you will have to give us some more information. How well do you grasp the material in the PS Bibles? Have you taken ANY practice tests, and if so, what was your score on it? Do you have a natural grasp of logic, math, philosophy, or another related field? A lot really depends on your grasp of the material so far. A good friend of mine scored in the low 140s on his cold diagnostic, and his final LSAT score was in the mid 150s. On the other hand, my cold diagnostic was a 161 and my actual LSAT score was a 168.

Some people on here will tell you that it is easy to get into the 160s or 170s with lots of hard work, but I think a lot of it depends on how your brain works. I believe everyone has a "maximum potential" on the LSAT, just like people "max out" in other areas of life. Is improvement possible through hard work and studying? Absolutely. My friend went up over 10 points thanks to hard work. However, he didn't ever really "get" the LSAT like I did, and he busted his ass. And you know what? I don't really "get it" like the people in the 175+ range, and I busted my ass too. So in order to answer your question, you really need to take a diagnostic ASAP so you can gauge where your strengths/weaknesses are and start to form a realistic goal.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:04 pm

PS. If there are any South Park fans in here, read the first sentence of my last post with the "Sur le Table" accent from the Margaritaville episode. "Doable" haha... I didn't realize it until I posted, but god that episode is hilarious. Or maybe my brain is fried from all this homework and I'm the only person who finds it funny.

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:04 pm

also, if you're confident enough, take the september test, not december. it'll give you a chance to get your apps in earlier and be a lot more competitive than waiting until january/february to go complete at most schools.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:09 pm

bitlrc wrote:also, if you're confident enough, take the september test, not december. it'll give you a chance to get your apps in earlier and be a lot more competitive than waiting until january/february to go complete at most schools.

I echo these sentiments. I think it is wise to ALWAYS leave room for a retake. If you were to take in December and bomb it or have to cancel for some reason, you would have to retake in February and be out of the running at most top schools. Then you'd have to probably take a year off, which would obviously suck.

I actually recommend taking the LSAT in June. It is only early March, and you have PLENTY of time to get up to peak performance by June. Then if you don't do as well in June, you can retake in September and have your applications out by late October. This is what I did (June 1st take, Sept re-take) and it worked out very well. I cannot stress to you enough the importance of applying early.

Another factor is that you say you have been studying every night or so since October. You WILL burn out. Every day for a year is WAY too long to study for the LSAT. Most of the TLS LSAT gods will tell you that 3-5 months of quality studying is the right amount, and I found that to be the case for me. If you wait until October or December to take the LSAT, you will probably have studied for too long.

shoop

Postby shoop » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks

Not hard. I got it the first time I took a diagnostic, without ever having studied or even looked at an LSAT.

What on earth are you using for study materials if you're studying for 11-14 months? Either you're doing one logic game per day, or you're going to run out of unseen preptests/materials sometime soon.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”