LSAT help! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bigmnstyle

Bronze

LSAT help!

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 am

Hey! Quick question: I scored a 156 on my lsat started with a 144 diagnostic. I took the lsat last September which was my 2nd time taking it. I scored a 153 on the June test. I have applied to schools but am going to withdraw my application get a job and study for the lsat for 6 months. I get about 20 on games, 15 on reading comp, and 32 on logical reasoning. I took the Kaplan class and feel like if I could get reading comp to 20 and logical reasoning up to 37 I could get 161. I am fairly confident I could do this with the right study method. I figured I would focus on logic games the last month or 2, and focus primarily on reading comprehension the first 2 months to try to get that section up to 20 correct. I feel if I can get this section to 20 correct my logical reasoning sections will naturally raise as well as I will be a better reader after doing non stop reading comprehension for 2 months. One of my problems in logical reasoning is I have a hard time paraphrasing the arguments and remember what I just read. After those 2 months I would go and add in logical reasoning. When studying for reading comp- should I start from scratch even though I have already put about 2 months of studying in for it for the past tests? Start by doing each reading comp section and then reviewing it and then do it again? Then go onto the next test. How would you go about it with knowing the fact that I have already taken a class and have a good familiarity with the lsat in general and it is the little things that mess me up.If this was confusing please just let me know what you would do in my situation trying to improve 5 more points. 15 on reading comp and 32 on logical reasoning isn't that good so I figure there is a lot of room for improvement.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Re: LSAT help!

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Nobody-lol?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:09 pm

I wouldn't spend 2 months exclusively on one section.

How many PTs have you taken?

Classes are pretty worthless...You need to take every PT, analyze your right and wrong answers after the fact. Put a star next to any question where you had doubt. On the close calls, figure out why you're getting some right and some wrong, figure out what the test takers are after.

On the games: repitition. Keep doing sections over and over until you are fast and never miss a question.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Shooting for a perfect games portion is a very good idea. On my diagnostic, I got only 7 correct answers on the games section. I did the games sections timed over and over (photocopies) and eventually got to the point where I would get perfect scores. On test day, I finished the games section in around 20 minutes or so. Well, as I was double-checking my answers, I changed a correct answer to an incorrect answer (I misread a question on my double-check), so I got a -1. But still, practice, practice!

Shrimps

Bronze

Post by Shrimps » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:23 pm

I hate you. It takes me 40-45 minutes to do the logic games right. If I try to do it in 35 minutes, I get at least several wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:24 pm

I have probably taken 10 full practice tests while studying for my previous attempt. I usually only miss 1-3 on logic games every PT I take and I feel all the points that can be made are in logical reasoning and reading comprehension. I usually get about 14-15 right on reading comp and 31-34 right on logical reasoning. Since I have about 5-6 months to practice and have already taken a class and gotten a good feel for the lsat, I feel that my time would be best spent focusing on the latter two sections. Any ideas on how I should go about that. I like the idea of photocopying each reading comprehension section and then going through the first 10 practice tests until I get them all right and then move on and pick up speed... any suggestions on how you would go about this if you are trying to gain 5-7 points on your overall lsat score. I have never had a practice test of 160 but then again I stink at the reading comp and logical reasoning and feel like I can learn those just like I learned games... Only getting 50 percent of reading comp and 60 percent of logical reasoning seems like there could be enough improvement made between the two sections to get another 7 points on my score.

Shrimps

Bronze

Post by Shrimps » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 pm

Again, if you find yourself running out of RC sections, there are heaps of GMAT and MCAT practice materials you could use.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:35 pm

I didn't say I am running out of material, just asking for a strategy to get the points necessary through the reading comp section. Like should I begin with old tests go through them slowly and make sure I get everything right and know what I am missing. Then move onto the next 10 lsats and time myself then go back through these sections... this is same for logical reasoning btw when I ask this. For the 20 oldest practice tests I don't want to even touch logic games. I was planning on taking the 10 most recent ones when it comes closer to test time which is 5 months away from now and using those as full tests with experimental section. I know with just a months practice of logic games I could perfect all the sections so that is why I want to focus on my weaknesses. Help?

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 pm

What markup strategy do you use for RC?

How long are you spending on the passages, and how long on the questions?

Do you typically finish the section?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:57 pm

Also-- Would it be smarter to go through and read the whole reading comprehension bible by powerscore before going through all the practice tests for those sections?

I think I may break it up like this... let me know if you disagree with this strategy looking at my goals I have posted above. Since Logic games is good to go- I am going to wait until the last 10 practice tests to start looking at it.

Goal: Get reading comprehension from a 14-15 to a 20 lock everytime.
Get logical reasoning from a 31-34 to a 37 everytime. That will give me about 10 more answers correct and also a 5 point increase to score.
I Have 6 months to do this.
Remember I have taken a Kaplan class and have a decent overview of the lsat in general and tricks... just didn't put much studying into the two sections I am going to be working on.
Since reading comp is my weakest- Month 1 read and go through whole reading comp bible by power score.
Month 2: start on the first 10 practice tests-- Go through every reading comp section in those 10 sections, review it thoroughly and then do it one more time.
Pick up logical reasoning bible and skim through it on the problems I have trouble with which are parallel, flaw, and inference usually.
Month 3: Go through next 10 practice tests for reading comprehension review and then redo.
Same with logical reasoning
Focus on problems giving trouble and try to time myself while doing these 10 practice tests.
Month 4: Next 10 practice tests for both sections review and rework
Month 5: Same thing but in addition, go over all the logical games for practice test 1-20, if still averaging a 20 I will probably spend less time on these.
Month6: 10 Full tests, review each one (should I do them again)

Someone please revise this strategy if it seems terrible. I am going for 5-7 points on addition to what my current lsat is. Thanks guys!

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:00 pm

I don't paraphrase the paragraphs, I underline things I think are important and note when viewpoints are said that is about it. I don't finish the section every. Usually make it to the 4th passage but never finish more then 1 or 2 questions on that section. I also didn't really review the passages after I did them last time I studied. I find it really hard to do that for some reason and I need a good strategy to the review stage of the passages after completed** should I review immediately, because if I don't I forget most of the stuff, and should I start my practice just by completing all the sections rather than timing myself so when I go back and review I am reviewing for all sections?? I feel I could complete all the sections in 39 minutes

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Here are two useful threads:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=108485

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=106732

There are drills you can do to speed up. First you want to get more accurate, though. Reviewing the passage to see what made you select the wrong answer is THE most important part of the studying.

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 pm

Try running a pencil lightly under the passage as you read. Our natural inclination is to glance at multiple words at once. This will force you to look at them individually. It may slow you down initially, but your accuracy should improve.

Also: when you make paragraph tags, you should generally try to tag the function in the author's argument rather than the subject matter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:17 am

Do you have any suggestions on a strategy for reading comp over a two months period? Your tips are great, I appreciate them. How would you start... going very slowly and finishing all passages at the beginning and focus on just accuracy and then speeding things up? When you go back to review, what is the best tip you could give when doing the review. Some answers I see and some I still don't know why I did them wrong... probably because I didn't understand the passage well enough which is because I wasn't actively reading or I maybe went to quick. Thanks

FreeGuy

Bronze

Post by FreeGuy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 am

autarkh wrote:Here are two useful threads:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=108485

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=106732

There are drills you can do to speed up. First you want to get more accurate, though. Reviewing the passage to see what made you select the wrong answer is THE most important part of the studying.

2 more solid RC threads:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=71295
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=6&t=7240

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:02 am

Great posts, I have read Voyagers before but haven't seen the other 3 the were posted. I think my biggest problem is I am looking for the wrong things. I look to much at detail and less on authors voice, viewpoints, evidence for viewpoints, ect. I also have a tough time paraphrasing the paragraphs into a couple words. I would like to be able to do this but my mind usually doesn't adapt around this concept for some reason :) After about 100 reading passages, I think I am going to break that 20 correct... going to start slow focus on structure and accuracy and try to improve from there. Thanks for the help guys and anymore tips are very welcome :!:

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:08 am

you should focus on 3 passages instead of 4 if your getting a 15ish score no RC. with more time dedicated to the 3 passages you will be able to read more slowly and have time to look back at the passages. focus more on general idea and less on details as the passage is still there for reference.

i was in your shoes with a -13 in RC after months of trying to do better. i started to read slower and practice on 3 passages. ironically im now able to finish a whole RC section. my lastest PT was PT 31 and i got a -7 in RC.

this same approach of quality not quantity applies to LR and LG. good luck.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:19 am

Cool, nice to see someone in the same boat as me lol. I will focus on the three passage and try to get those three passages near perfect and hopefully by the end of my 6 months, I will be able to get through that 4th passage.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”