First LSAT Diagnostic - 156. Any hope for me?

CMDantes

Re: First LSAT Diagnostic - 156. Any hope for me?

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:26 pm

BrightLine wrote:
CMDantes wrote:To be fair, you're taking Kaplan correct? As far as I've seen on this board they're regarded as the worst prep company. I keep hearing mention of them being tailored to getting people who score pretty low into the 160's, which your story substantiates. They actually have separate classes for 'high-scorers' or something which I've heard from a Kaplan rep on this forum. So perhaps some further research on your part would have resulted in a more satisfactory prep-course experience.

Regardless of that, I really do hope you feel like you got your moneys worth by the end of the course. Maybe it will get better.

Either way, I feel like if I hadn't signed up for a course I would regret it if I hit anything below my target score. Even if some of the classes seem like a waste of time (most will probably be useful if only for the practice), the pure volume of preptests/questions by classifications/online help TM gives is worth it to me.

I dispute nothing that you said. I dont say classes are bad. All I am saying is that they can hurt. And for me personally, I believe it is. It may be great for you and the OP.

Then we are in agreement, and I sincerely hope that you do well on the exam and that by the end of the course you feel it hasn't hurt you.

To the OP...you'll be fine. The national average, to my knowledge, is a 152. So you're already ahead of the game, just keep at it.

Fast_Fingers

Postby Fast_Fingers » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Certainly. I got a 157 for my first one, and actually bounced between that score and 162 for the diagnostics for my Kaplan advanced course (I did around 6 practice tests...it was online). Then I got a 169 on the actual test. Adrenaline/ability to handle pressure does help a bit, as did the hours of practice sections. Expecting that attending classes will help you get that score will be counterproductive for any course...the effort on the side and diligence are what get it in the first place.

The class itself will teach you tips and tricks, as well as the common types of questions and how to handle them...absorbing that info requires repetition.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:56 pm

BrightLine wrote:I know most people will recommend that you take a course, but personally i regret it. There are no magical tricks that come from a course. Anything that you can learn in a course you can learn from a book. The question, and you have to be honest with yourself, is if you will put in the time without the class.

I'd have to agree with this. I'd like my $1,000 back.

For the class to work, you still need to discipline yourself to do the homework. If you can discipline yourself to do the homework, you can do the bibles and save on the class.

If you do take a class, take it early. You want a month or two at the end to work on PTs.

rv11

Postby rv11 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:01 pm

albanach wrote:If you do take a class, take it early. You want a month or two at the end to work on PTs.

This. I took and recommend a class to build a foundation, but some extra time after on your own with disciplined study helps a lot.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:03 pm

my completely cold diagnostic was a 155, I ended up with a 170 in June 09 so its definitely possible. I studied for about 5 months. Just keep at it and a 170 is definitely achievable, many in these forums have made that kind of jump.

edit: studied on my own, no classes

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:06 pm

There isn't any hope.

Just whether or not you put in the work for the score you desire.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:07 pm

158-->171

< 2 MONTHS studying in entirety...

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 pm

I "diagnosed" at a 157. I think I worked fairly hard to end up with a 167.

That being said, lots of people can get 15 or more points up on their original diagnostic. I'm not sure how much work it would have taken for me to do that, and get a 172, but I guess we'll never know cause my cycle is pretty well over.

The moral of the story: Put in the time, and you could get your PT's up as high as 170 (or maybe more?) From there, (+ -) 3 to 4 points, and that should be about where you score on the actual test, given that you are actually practice testing around there.
The work is worth it. With practice, the LSAT isn't really even that hard. Now go read the how to score a 160+ thread, get yourself a battle plan and

Miznitic

Postby Miznitic » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:39 pm

broker02 wrote:I've had advice from several lawyers/judges - they all say to spend the money for the LSAT prep course, I guess I better pony up if I intend to break T14. Is that the consensus here as well?

I think the prep courses are only good if you're the type who has a hard time self studying and lack the discipline to do it yourself. Personally, I think the best (and my efforts back this up) method is a practicing ad nauseum. Buy all three Bibles, and purchase as many PTs as you can and read/work through everything

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Miznitic wrote:
broker02 wrote:I've had advice from several lawyers/judges - they all say to spend the money for the LSAT prep course, I guess I better pony up if I intend to break T14. Is that the consensus here as well?

I think the prep courses are only good if you're the type who has a hard time self studying and lack the discipline to do it yourself. Personally, I think the best (and my efforts back this up) method is a practicing ad nauseum. Buy all three Bibles, and purchase as many PTs as you can and read/work through everything

I agree with this. Lawyers, especially the older ones, did not have the resources we have today. Powerscore has the LSAT down to a science, and I truly believe that you can achieve the exact same score (maybe even a better one) on your own. A course can only take you so far IMO.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”