Brain games to improve AR

Shrimps

Brain games to improve AR

Postby Shrimps » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:33 pm

There are three games on lumosity.com that may be somewhat helpful for AR: Memory Matrix, Moneycomb, and Monster Garden. Three others: Color Match, Brain Shift, Disillusion may also be helpful.

Sadly, I've no idea if the skills are in any way transferable: "brain games" in general are pretty useless for improvement in anything other than the games themselves.

Also, $80 per year is a rip-off. Anyone knows of any other games/excercises that could be relevant to logic games?

lsatwizo

Re: Brain games to improve AR

Postby lsatwizo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Shrimps wrote:There are three games on lumosity.com that may be somewhat helpful for AR: Memory Matrix, Moneycomb, and Monster Garden. Three others: Color Match, Brain Shift, Disillusion may also be helpful.

Sadly, I've no idea if the skills are in any way transferable: "brain games" in general are pretty useless for improvement in anything other than the games themselves.

Also, $80 per year is a rip-off. Anyone knows of any other games/excercises that could be relevant to logic games?

Practicing real LSAT logic games would be a much better use of time and money.

Shrimps

Postby Shrimps » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Um, I will run out of them pretty quickly if I start doing 4 games daily.

There are only around 35 AR sections left that I haven't done and I'm saving them for mid-Apr to June 5th.

I wonder what I should do for the next 40 days.

rv11

Postby rv11 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Shrimps wrote:Um, I will run out of them pretty quickly if I start doing 4 games daily.

There are only around 35 AR sections left that I haven't done and I'm saving them for mid-Apr to June 5th.

I wonder what I should do for the next 40 days.

sudoku

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:40 pm

anything that improves working memory, really.

exercises you can do at no cost:

remember the sequence of cards pulled from a full deck, and extend the length of the sequence after each successful trial. the prob with this is, of course, the build-up of familiarity with suits and colors. to be true, you should always use new stimuli

here's another one: look out for numbers around you (address numbers, phone numbers, ANY sort of number) and perform mental triangular math. essentially, it works like this:

2 4 6 8 9
6 10 14 17
16 24 31
40 55

you can look this up for yourself, but working memory is really about holding stuff in memory while processing other stuff, drawing inferences from that stuff, then using those inferences to draw more inferences off of the stuff you were holding. sounds quite like what you do on the analytical portion of the LSAT, doesn't it? there are so many things you can do in everyday life to improve this part of your brain; just have the above principle in mind.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”