PrepTest 8 (June 1993), Section A, Question 10--Please help!

LSAT_Padawan

PrepTest 8 (June 1993), Section A, Question 10--Please help!

Postby LSAT_Padawan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:04 pm

Paraphrasing this STRENGTHENING question..

If a public library shared by the adjacent towns of "R" and "G" were relocated from the library's current overcrowded building in central "R" to a larger, available building in central "G," the library would then be within walking distance of a larger number of library users and therefore because more people live in central "G" than in central "R," people generally will walk to the library only if it is located close to their homes.

Which one of the following if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The public library was located between "G" and "R" before being moved to its current location in central "R."
(B) The area covered by central "G" is approximately the same size as that covered by central "R."

My faulty reasoning explanation: I picked (A) because I thought the before the library's relocation, it was located in "R" and thus had less people living within walking distance of the library. When it would be moved to central "G" where more library users lived within walking distance, more people would use it. I discarded (B) which is the correct answer simply because I do not understand what having the "same size" have anything to do with it, when it has been established that more people reside in central "G?" Kind of like the notion of "more people per capita."

Thank you for your enlightenment.

r6_philly

Re: PrepTest 8 (June 1993), Section A, Question 10--Please help!

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:11 am

A is irrelevant. you eliminate that without considering it. There are no data/reason/result cited for the move from in between to central R, so don't bother.

As you know many times you don't know what the right answer is, but you can eliminate the wrong ones. You should have elimited A and leave only B, which you should chose.

But about B

2 premises
1. more people living in central G than central R
2. people will only walk to library if they live close.

If central R and G is NOT the same size:

lets say central R has 1000 people living within 1 mile
lets say central G has 1500 people living within 10 miles. So even though central G has more people, many of them would not want to walk to the library because it is too far. So library may serve less people than centra R would.

By making 2 central area the same size, you can meaningfully compare the population data.

LSAT_Padawan

Postby LSAT_Padawan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks R6. Your explanation makes sense. By the way, how did you do on your LSAT? Did you get back your results yet?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I got a 170. Thanks for remembering, it was a miserable weekend. I can now box my LSAT stuff and give to my friend so she can study for Sept. test. :)

I guessed 3 and couldn't correct 1, so imagine if that guy in the room wasn't sniffing so hard!I mightahad a 174! :lol: I am just glad this chapter is past me!

Good luck on your preparation. I think you could use a tutor, you are right there with all your eliminations but you keep getting stuck on the last one. Maybe with some individual help you can get over that hump. I self prepared with my own methods, worked out fine for me because it works for me.

LSAT_Padawan

Postby LSAT_Padawan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:44 am

Wow, that's really impressive R6; congratulations are in order. I know you'll get accepted into the T1 schools you want to attend. Hopefully, the Testmaster's prep course I enrolled into will help; it starts next week. With me, it isn't going to be a case of not putting in ample time and effort...I just hope to sniff the plateau of the mid 160s.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 am

Thanks :mrgreen: I am glad it worked out well for me. The class should work for you, just take the time, figure out every question until you are confortable with the answer, then practice and practice. Be confident, don't over second guess yourself and rise to the occassion. Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”