Very Hard Must Be True Q--PrepTest 15 (June 95), Sect A, #12

LSAT_Padawan

Very Hard Must Be True Q--PrepTest 15 (June 95), Sect A, #12

Postby LSAT_Padawan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:33 am

***Can some diagram this for me and explain how they arrived at the correct answer? I've reread this incredibly dense stim and my mind's about to explode. Thank you for your enlightenment!!!

Individual pyrrole molecules readily join together into larger molecules called polypyrroles. If polypyrroles form from pyrrole in the presence of zeolites, they do so by attaching to the zeolite either in lumps on the outer surface of the zeolite or in delicate chains within the zeolite's inner channels. When zeolite changes color from yellow to black, it means that on or in that zeolite polypyrroles have formed from pyrrole. Yellow zeolite free of any pyrrole was submerged in dissolved pyrrole. The zeolite turned black even though no polypyrroles formed on its outer surface.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them be true?

(A) Polypyrroles have already formed on or in the zeolite before it was submerged.
(B) Lumps of polypyrrole attached to the zeolite were responsible for its color change.
(C) At least some of the pyrrole in which the zeolite was submerged formed polypyrrole chains.
(D) None of the pyrrole in which the zeolite was submerged attached itself to the zeolite.
(E) Little, if any, of the pyrrole in which the zeolite was submerged reached the zeolite's inner channels.

Shrimps

Re: Very Hard Must Be True Q--PrepTest 15 (June 95), Sect A, #12

Postby Shrimps » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:41 am

Sorry, I don't think there are any diagrams to make.

1. When zeolite changes color from yellow to black, it means that on or in that zeolite polypyrroles have formed from pyrrole.
2. The zeolite turned black even though no polypyrroles formed on its outer surface.

Read these two. The zeolite is black, no polypyrroles ON its surface. So, there must by polythingies IN it. Go back to the stimulus:

3. If polypyrroles form from pyrrole in the presence of zeolites, they do so by attaching to the zeolite either in lumps on the outer surface of the zeolite or in delicate chains within the zeolite's inner channels.

So, the zeolite we're discussing has "delicate chains" of polypyrroles within its inner channels.

(A) Polypyrroles have already formed on or in the zeolite before it was submerged. - no. Contradicts 2.
(B) Lumps of polypyrrole attached to the zeolite were responsible for its color change. - no. Contradicts 2.
(C) At least some of the pyrrole in which the zeolite was submerged formed polypyrrole chains. - Yes. Chains. Delicate chains! This is the correct answer.
(D) None of the pyrrole in which the zeolite was submerged attached itself to the zeolite. - No. Otherwise it wouldn't have turned black.
(E) Little, if any, of the pyrrole in which the zeolite was submerged reached the zeolite's inner channels. - then how did it turn black?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:48 am

LSAT_Padawan wrote:***Can some diagram this for me and explain how they arrived at the correct answer? I've reread this incredibly dense stim and my mind's about to explode. Thank you for your enlightenment!!!

Individual pyrrole molecules readily join together into larger molecules called polypyrroles. If polypyrroles form from pyrrole in the presence of zeolites, they do so by attaching to the zeolite either in lumps on the outer surface of the zeolite or in delicate chains within the zeolite's inner channels. When zeolite changes color from yellow to black, it means that on or in that zeolite polypyrroles have formed from pyrrole. Yellow zeolite free of any pyrrole was submerged in dissolved pyrrole. The zeolite turned black even though no polypyrroles formed on its outer surface.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them be true?

(A) Polypyrroles have already formed on or in the zeolite before it was submerged.
(B) Lumps of polypyrrole attached to the zeolite were responsible for its color change.
(C) At least some of the pyrrole in which the zeolite was submerged formed polypyrrole chains.
(D) None of the pyrrole in which the zeolite was submerged attached itself to the zeolite.
(E) Little, if any, of the pyrrole in which the zeolite was submerged reached the zeolite's inner channels.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36019

LSAT_Padawan

Postby LSAT_Padawan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:53 am

Okay, sorry, I'm paraphrase the content next time. :)

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 am

This wasn't too hard. The wording and the "Scary Science Stuff" however, made it look more intimidating than it is. If anything, figure out a shorthand system for each key word. That would help.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 am

LSAT_Padawan wrote:Okay, sorry, I'm paraphrase the content next time. :)

I'm just giving you a hard time, but the mods seem to be serious about that.

nickm100

Postby nickm100 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 pm

LSAT_Padawan wrote:***Can some diagram this for me and explain how they arrived at the correct answer? I've reread this incredibly dense stim and my mind's about to explode. Thank you for your enlightenment!!!

There is actually something to diagram here that might make the density of the passage easier to cut through-- Especially in the early stages of study, but eventually you should be able to skim this and find the answer w/o diagramming.

It can be diagrammed like this:

PFZ = polypyrroles form from pyrrole in the presence of zeolites
LOUT = attaching to the zeolite either in lumps on the outer surface of the zeolite
DCIN = delicate chains within the zeolite's inner channels

PFZ -> LOUT or DCIN

YB = changes color from yellow to black
PFZ = zeolite polypyrroles have formed from pyrrole (same as PFZ above)

YB -> PFZ

You end up with the conjoined statement of: YB -> PFZ -> LOUT or DCIN

The last two sentences enacts this formed chain: Yellow turns to Black, indicating that polypyrroles in the presence of zeolites must have formed. Then one of the two final options is negated, resulting in this YB-> PFZ -> [strike]LOUT[/strike] or DCIN and because you must have either LOUT or DCIN, DCIN (delicate chains) must occur.

Now, take that information and look at the answers. C is the only one with the word 'Chain' so go right to it and test it. It fits right in with your diagram. Eventually try to codify these steps in your head so you don't have to take the time to diagram.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”