Helpful and/or Interesting Reading

Knock

Helpful and/or Interesting Reading

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 am

Any books that anyone want to recommend that would be beneficial in studying for the LSAT?

Thanks.

Edit: Expanding the scope of this topic to now include reading that is interesting in its own right, like New York Times best sellers, etc.

So anyone have any recommendations of some good reading worth picking up? I just finishing "Game Change" about the 2008 election and it was really interesting. Currently reading "Lone Survivor", about a Navy SEAL's experience in Afghanistan and I am a little disappointed, it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be.

Anyways anything interesting worth sharing would be nice. Inspirational too would be a plus (I liked the part in "Lone Survivor" about getting through BUD/S training and especially Hell Week. I thought it was very inspirational!).
Last edited by Knock on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rw2264

Re: Helpful Reading

Postby rw2264 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:09 am

there are entire threads on this.

lsatblog.blogspot.com has suggestions too.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:13 am

rw2264 wrote:there are entire threads on this.

lsatblog.blogspot.com has suggestions too.

Thanks, I already picked up some books that he recommended. And I did some searching but couldn't find too many worthwhile responses.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:18 am

rw2264 wrote:there are entire threads on this.

TITCR

/thread

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Here's what I said in another thread:

dynomite wrote:Gotta walk before you can run.

Don't worry about speed -- that'll come naturally. (And you've got months to get there anyway) Worry about comprehension. Don't skim, READ. Use a pen/pencil and underline if you need to. Do the same thing with the New York Times. Like anything else, comprehending dense reading takes practice and patience. It's February, meaning you have months to get to where you need to be.

I'm going to take a guess: you don't read much for fun.

Is that right? If not, I apologize. But if it is, reading -- at all -- will help train your brain to read as well as teaching you about things you're actually interested in.

So try to read something dense you actually LIKE and are interested in, so long as you're doing this. If you like baseball, read "Moneyball." If you like basketball, read Halberstam's "The Breaks of the Game." If you like American history, read "John Adams" or "A People's History of the US" or "Battle Cry of Freedom" or something. Read classics like Dickens and the original Sherlock Holmes stories and Hemingway.

Again, don't skim -- READ.

I strongly disagree with those who say that you need to practice on boring passages -- accurately and rapidly reading dense material, in my opinion, is a learned skill. I don't read the Wall Street Journal, but I do read the New York Times and a whole swath of both non-fiction and fiction pleasure reading, and I found RC to be relatively easy as a result.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”