Best to study by q' type or whole test? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
angiej

Silver

Best to study by q' type or whole test?

Post by angiej » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Is it best to study by question type - master - move on to next

or

take whole practice tests with all sorts of question types at once?

I ask because I found at cambridge lsat I can purchase q's by question type and wondered if this would be superior to purchasing a ton of practice tests and working through whole tests.

If I went with the question by type method I would time each section for 8:45 each so I'm still taking them timed.

Then the entire month of May, after I have (hopefully) mastered each type of question type for LG, LR, and RC take full practice tests (timed).

typ3

Silver

Re: Best to study by q' type or whole test?

Post by typ3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Pity does by q type as does pscore. I like q type because I can skip the types I am already scoring 100% at. Quality is more imortant than quantity. Master the individual q types before you do pacing for sections and before you do full lengths.
Last edited by typ3 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:25 pm

I found studying by q type, then taking complete sections was the most beneficial.

mutfro

New

Post by mutfro » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Neelio wrote:I found studying by q type, then taking complete sections was the most beneficial.
+1

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 pm

mutfro wrote:
Neelio wrote:I found studying by q type, then taking complete sections was the most beneficial.
+1
q'type it is! Thanks everyone! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:38 pm

Also is there a chart or something that breaks down the logic games by type? I can purchase all logic games through cambridge lsat, but apparently they are not organized by type, that would be up to me to do. (which seems silly considering you can purchase the LR and RC by type on the website).

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:46 pm

My advice:

You need to master the question types, then take a bunch of practice tests. As you're taking the PTs, review your answers and rework the ones you get wrong. If there's a weakness in a question type, or you notice a trend of missing certain question types, review your strategies for those types and work on them separately. I would recommend using older PTs for individual question practice, that way you keep the newer PTs for whole test practice.

In preparing for the LSAT, there's no substitute to taking the whole test at once. 8:45 intervals are good for practice, but there's a mental fatigue that sets in with taking 45 minute sections back to back with a short break in the middle. I recommend even adding a fifth section a couple months prior to the test (to prepare for the experimental).

I also recommend buying the books of ten and dissecting them for single answers and fifth sections. Just buying questions may end up hurting you. For example, if you get some questions from PT 52 and work through them, then when you actually sit down to take PT 52, you'll recognize the answers. This could result in an overconfidence in you PT scores.

Just my two cents.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 pm

I think it depends on where your PT scores are at. Once you're already hitting around 170+ (or you're personal LSAT goal, higher or lower) I think you really need to focus on simulating test day conditions. At a certain point the LSAT stops being about mastery or understanding and becomes a matter of performance. You need to be able to actually hit your target on test day or else you'll end up very disappointed. In order to do this, I really believe you have to religiously simulate test day conditions (don't give your self a second more than 35 minutes, always insert a 5th section and score it, try and take the test is different locations so you don't feel out of your element on test day, ect.)

However, if you're still trying to reach your goal (this is TLS so I'm assuming it's over 170 :D ) focusing solely on what's tripping you up is credited. I remember spending four and a half hours straight doing grouping games one day. They were the last thing that would screw me up. Once I finally sat down and figured them out they never bothered me again.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:45 pm

HBK wrote:My advice:

You need to master the question types, then take a bunch of practice tests. As you're taking the PTs, review your answers and rework the ones you get wrong. If there's a weakness in a question type, or you notice a trend of missing certain question types, review your strategies for those types and work on them separately. I would recommend using older PTs for individual question practice, that way you keep the newer PTs for whole test practice.

In preparing for the LSAT, there's no substitute to taking the whole test at once. 8:45 intervals are good for practice, but there's a mental fatigue that sets in with taking 45 minute sections back to back with a short break in the middle. I recommend even adding a fifth section a couple months prior to the test (to prepare for the experimental).

I also recommend buying the books of ten and dissecting them for single answers and fifth sections. Just buying questions may end up hurting you. For example, if you get some questions from PT 52 and work through them, then when you actually sit down to take PT 52, you'll recognize the answers. This could result in an overconfidence in you PT scores.

Just my two cents.
Ahh, yes this makes sense. Perhaps what I will do is work on each section by type, using PT's 1 - 40 or so, and then use actual, whole preptests on PT's 41 to 58.

BTW is it worth doing PT's below say 20? I assume the same principles apply but wanted to be sure it wouldn't be a waste of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:47 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:I think it depends on where your PT scores are at. Once you're already hitting around 170+ (or you're personal LSAT goal, higher or lower) I think you really need to focus on simulating test day conditions. At a certain point the LSAT stops being about mastery or understanding and becomes a matter of performance. You need to be able to actually hit your target on test day or else you'll end up very disappointed. In order to do this, I really believe you have to religiously simulate test day conditions (don't give your self a second more than 35 minutes, always insert a 5th section and score it, try and take the test is different locations so you don't feel out of your element on test day, ect.)
However, if you're still trying to reach your goal (this is TLS so I'm assuming it's over 170 :D ) focusing solely on what's tripping you up is credited. I remember spending four and a half hours straight doing grouping games one day. They were the last thing that would screw me up. Once I finally sat down and figured them out they never bothered me again.
Def nowhere near 170 at this point. :lol: and I promise to keep myself within the simulated time parameters. I do plan to take several whole PT's in May (for prep for June lsat). I'm also taking sections in public with people walking by to help simulate proctors walking up and down the test room.

abbas123

Bronze

Post by abbas123 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:48 pm

angiej wrote:Also is there a chart or something that breaks down the logic games by type?
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:48 pm

angiej wrote: BTW is it worth doing PT's below say 20? I assume the same principles apply but wanted to be sure it wouldn't be a waste of time.
Not worth doing as a full-length PT. Totally worth doing the individual questions and games. Great to use to simulate the experimental section.

Hiei

New

Post by Hiei » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

When I started off studying by question type was definitely the most helpful (this is especially true for LR).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:55 pm

cubswin wrote:
angiej wrote: BTW is it worth doing PT's below say 20? I assume the same principles apply but wanted to be sure it wouldn't be a waste of time.
Not worth doing as a full-length PT. Totally worth doing the individual questions and games. Great to use to simulate the experimental section.
My tip for the adding the experimental section: If you're -5 on the experimental section, and your worst section score for the remaining sections is -3, count the -5 instead of the -3 when calculating your overall score. In order to simulate the real deal, you need to actually try hard on the fifth section. During the real deal, you won't know which is experimental. This approach discourages you from taking a 35 minute break in you PTs to breeze through a section you know won't count.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:01 pm

HBK wrote:
cubswin wrote:
My tip for the adding the experimental section: If you're -5 on the experimental section, and your worst section score for the remaining sections is -3, count the -5 instead of the -3 when calculating your overall score. In order to simulate the real deal, you need to actually try hard on the fifth section. During the real deal, you won't know which is experimental. This approach discourages you from taking a 35 minute break in you PTs to breeze through a section you know won't count.
What a genius idea!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”