Newer PTs: Sooner? Later? Something in between?

Crazycall2

Newer PTs: Sooner? Later? Something in between?

Postby Crazycall2 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:02 pm

I've been studying pretty consistently for a few months now and am taking the June test..I've read a ton of suggestions and opinions, but one thing that people seem to differ on is when to do the newest PTs.
I've just ordered the most recent ten or so, and have roughly enough new ones to do 4 a month for the next two months and then 8 in May before the actual test (all with 5 sections).

Should I save most of my new ones until May, start them now, or sprinkle them in throughout?

What have others done/found helpful?

scribelaw

Re: Newer PTs: Sooner? Later? Something in between?

Postby scribelaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Crazycall2 wrote:I've been studying pretty consistently for a few months now and am taking the June test..I've read a ton of suggestions and opinions, but one thing that people seem to differ on is when to do the newest PTs.
I've just ordered the most recent ten or so, and have roughly enough new ones to do 4 a month for the next two months and then 8 in May before the actual test (all with 5 sections).

Should I save most of my new ones until May, start them now, or sprinkle them in throughout?

I kind of like building up to the newest ones right before you take the test. The newer tests have subtle changes and if you do them in succession, the real thing just feels like another PT.

skip james

Postby skip james » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 am

scribelaw wrote:
Crazycall2 wrote:I've been studying pretty consistently for a few months now and am taking the June test..I've read a ton of suggestions and opinions, but one thing that people seem to differ on is when to do the newest PTs.

I kind of like building up to the newest ones right before you take the test. The newer tests have subtle changes and if you do them in succession, the real thing just feels like another PT.

I actually advocate the opposite, I think the subtle changes are more valuable to be studied (so that you can learn from it, thus increasing your score), rather than to be used the week prior to the test. Don't get me wrong, I get why people want to save those new tests: they wanna know their scores and they want the more 'accurate' or 'realistic' prep tests to get accustomed to before the real deal. But I think a person is more likely to up their game day score if they've studied the recent prep tests pretty thoroughly before walking in the exam, and have had enough time to digest those changes and have modified their strategy accordingly.

I'm not saying that people should use them three months before the test, or even when they initially begin their practice. Rather, I think those tests should be used and studied at least two to three weeks before the test, when your LSAT skills have developed to the point that you can even tell what sort of subtle differences are in the tests 57-present and how they differ from even the PTs in the early 50s.

I dunno, I guess I think that having time to formulate a game plan about those changes is likely to be more beneficial to one's score.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 am

scribelaw wrote:I kind of like building up to the newest ones right before you take the test. The newer tests have subtle changes and if you do them in succession, the real thing just feels like another PT.

+1

I'd rather lead into test day with something similar to the actual test than with the older tests, which have different styles of games and easier RC.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”