Formal Logic advice NEEDED! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rocklos

New

Formal Logic advice NEEDED!

Post by rocklos » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm getting a majority of formal logic questions wrong because I am not able to translate them into "if, then" sentences. I usually ended up doing it wrong and pick the mistaken reversal or mistaken negation answer. This really a problem with Must be true questions.

I can pick up in the stimulus that it is a formal logic problem. But after that its all down hill.

Can anyone give any advice on how to over come this problem??

TheLuckyOne

Bronze

Re: Formal Logic advice NEEDED!

Post by TheLuckyOne » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Ummm... I'm not sure what you expect to hear, but read more info on formal logic and, eventually, you will get used to it. BTW, in the "Competitions" section, there was an article summarizing basic formal logic principles.

Shrimps

Bronze

Post by Shrimps » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Post the question(s) you got wrong and describe your thinking process. And yes, LRB has two very useful chapters on formal logic: Conditional Logic (Ch. 6 I think?) and Formal Logic (Ch.10).

Nothing more complicated than this is really necessary, so if you're struggling, it's not because you do not have enough available study materials.

rocklos

New

Post by rocklos » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:12 am

The question that I got wrong today was from #50 section 2 question 9.

Capitilize>>>>Mainwords and first and words of the title. I also did the same for the second sentence. linking the two sentences gave me a completely different answer.

Thanks for the help :D , I guess have to go back reread the chapters mentioned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”