HELP ME UNDERSTAND LSAT TRAINING

jagsta

HELP ME UNDERSTAND LSAT TRAINING

Postby jagsta » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Please help me understand, I just begun a Kaplan LSAT prep course a few weeks ago, and up to that point, didn't know anything about it except for a few sample questions I looked up. I consider myself an intelligent person but I have to say that sometimes I feel very inept when trying to absorb the point(s) of this test. I sometimes feel as though maybe I'm not cut out for this, that it should some how come more naturally if I'm to be a good attorney. Is there anyone out there that can relate? It sometimes seems as though everyone gets it except for me--99th percentile who didn't study but for a couple days need not respond (joke), I'm talking to all those grinders out there that gotta put in work. I'm open for suggestions as well, so bring it on.

CMDantes

Re: HELP ME UNDERSTAND LSAT TRAINING

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:57 pm

If you're looking for sympathy or even simple cordiality, look elsewhere.

Before people start tearing you up, stop thinking that your ability to be an attorney rests solely on this test. Sure, it's supposed to be somewhat natural...but you have to work at it. Save for a few geniuses on this board, we all have to work for it.

What are you PTing at? That should be a good indicator of whether or not this is for you. If you're anywhere above the 150's, keep at it and it will get better. If you're testing in the 140's, you may be right to think that pursuing another career would be a good choice. NOT because the LSAT is some indication of lawyerly prowess, but because you probably won't get into a good school unless you score at least the median on the LSAT. Bad school - probably bad job, and not worth the investment.

Just take a few PT's and keep at it.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:50 pm

If you're testing in the 140's or lower, you need to get ready to bust your butt for several months straight. Heck, if you're in the 150's, it's likely that the same is true. The course will tell you what to do, but you still need to go out and do it.

jagsta

Postby jagsta » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 pm

CMDantes: Thanks for the 'straight' advice. As far as the PT's are going, I've only taken one diagnostic under timed conditions cold turkey and scored a 137, that's my entire experience. I'm still contemplating waiting to take the Oct LSAT instead of June--more practice.

jagsta

Postby jagsta » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks for the 'straight' advice. As far as the PT's are going, I've only taken one diagnostic under timed conditions cold turkey and scored a 137, that's my entire experience. I'm still contemplating waiting to take the Oct LSAT instead of June--more practice.

CMDantes wrote:If you're looking for sympathy or even simple cordiality, look elsewhere.

Before people start tearing you up, stop thinking that your ability to be an attorney rests solely on this test. Sure, it's supposed to be somewhat natural...but you have to work at it. Save for a few geniuses on this board, we all have to work for it.

What are you PTing at? That should be a good indicator of whether or not this is for you. If you're anywhere above the 150's, keep at it and it will get better. If you're testing in the 140's, you may be right to think that pursuing another career would be a good choice. NOT because the LSAT is some indication of lawyerly prowess, but because you probably won't get into a good school unless you score at least the median on the LSAT. Bad school - probably bad job, and not worth the investment.

Just take a few PT's and keep at it.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:49 am

With a 137 diagnostic I would absolutely take my time and write the October test.

That will give you some solid preparation time, and you're going to need it.

Although, if you find that you take to the 'training' especially well and are PTing at the 160's or wherever you want to be by May, then take the June test. But I don't think this is going to be the case.

Good luck on your prep! If you want you can look through my posts - I made one called 'Studying for the June test, already stressed' or something like that. It has a ton of great studying tips.

You have a tough road ahead but if you dedicate yourself it will be entirely worth it.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 am

The LSAT is nothing like practicing law or law school. Don't beat yourself over it.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:00 am

I say the opposite. Do not wait until October. Take the test in June, and then retake in October if you are not happy with your score.

The most important part of studying is practicing and then going over the questions you missed and why you missed them. A lot of people on here underperfrom on the real thing compared to their practice test average, so that is why I think you should take it in June and then worst case scenerio it was the most realistic practice test you can take in your preparation for October.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:I say the opposite. Do not wait until October. Take the test in June, and then retake in October if you are not happy with your score.

The most important part of studying is practicing and then going over the questions you missed and why you missed them. A lot of people on here underperfrom on the real thing compared to their practice test average, so that is why I think you should take it in June and then worst case scenerio it was the most realistic practice test you can take in your preparation for October.

There is merit to what this guy is saying.

But I would still take the October test. You get much more time and if you suck on the October you can take the December. If you take the Feb+ June + October I don't think you can take the December one. I just don't think you'll be ready by June, but I have no idea who you are so I could be completely mistaken.

edit: For some reason I thought you took the Feb test. Either way, more time - better.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 am

I think if the OP buckles down and applies himself (herself), then (s)he can by all means be ready for June. That being said, I didn't buckle down as much as I thought I would and did not take September due to that. I had to push my schedule back to December.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25 pm

First off, I think almost everyone who does well puts in a tremendous amount of work. Don't let anyone else get you down. This is about your test score and your desire to go to law school. Anyone who could get a perfect score taking the test cold is way too smart to be practicing law.

Second, keep in mind that there are a finite number of question types on the LSAT. After a while it becomes very repetitive and you'll start to be able to anticipate where certain questions are going. This allows you to save valuable time and score easy points. As such, the biggest piece of advice I would give you while you're trying to master the material is to make sure you understand why the right answer is right. Make sure you can explain it clearly to someone else. Make sure you can clearly explain why the "tempting" wrong answers are in fact wrong. If it takes you forever to work through a problem that is giving you trouble, then that's just what it's going to take. You're going to see the exact same question type repeated again and again. So, if you take the time to fully understand what's going on once, you'll be able to quickly repeat.

Repetito mater memoriae est (repetition is the mother of memory).

Miznitic

Postby Miznitic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Practice, Practice, Practice. I can't preach that enough. You need to do as many questions as possible, as often as possible. When practicing, also make sure you KNOW why the wrong answers are wrong, and the correct answer is so. Don't go on until you do. Also, if you're scoring that low, you need to give yourself at minimum six months.

jagsta

Postby jagsta » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:12 am

Thanks for your input, that really seems to be the consensus. I originally intended to take the test in October, but some of my advisors recommended that I take it in June and if I don't recieve the score I want retake in October--since most schools take the highest score. What's your take on that? and how did you practice and what was your score?

Miznitic wrote:Practice, Practice, Practice. I can't preach that enough. You need to do as many questions as possible, as often as possible. When practicing, also make sure you KNOW why the wrong answers are wrong, and the correct answer is so. Don't go on until you do. Also, if you're scoring that low, you need to give yourself at minimum six months.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”