How many is too many? (LSAT attempts)

jtravis

How many is too many? (LSAT attempts)

Postby jtravis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

I am above the 75% median for GPA for my dream school, but between the 25%-50% for the LSAT. I have already taken it twice with a four point jump between September and December. Is taking the exam three times frowned upon? Should I contact my dream school and just ask? I will be putting together my application this upcoming fall. Was considering taking the third attempt in June. Any feedback/input greatly appreciated.

jakamajiga

Re: How many is too many? (LSAT attempts)

Postby jakamajiga » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:36 pm

It's great that you jumped four points on your second attempt. I would say only take it again if you are confident that there will be another significant jump in your score. Unless you are looking to jump from 159 to 160, or 169 to 170, I wouldn't take it again if you are only expecting to increase the score by a point or two. Multiple attempts are only really justified by considerable improvement each time.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Questions that need answering for more specific help:

What school is it, or do you know what this school prefers (GPA or LSAT heavy, maybe trends regarding softs or cutoffs, etc)?
How close to the LSAT median are you? The closer the better.
How far above the GPA 75th percentile are you (and where/what discipline)? This still affects your index score and the general impression your GPA gives.
Do you have reason to believe you can improve your performance?

It doesn't hurt to ask the school, but don't assume they'll give you a straight answer. Good luck, you have a decent shot at your dream school either way!

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:07 pm

if you think you can improve, definitely take it the third time. i was wondering the same thing myself this september before i took the LSAT a third time. i had done much worse than my PT average the first two times around (163, 161) but finally managed to get my 172 in september. i was worried that schools would view my score differently because i wrote three times, but i managed to get into my dream school - so don't despair!!

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:10 pm

oh, and my GPA was below their 25th.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:16 pm

jakamajiga wrote:It's great that you jumped four points on your second attempt. I would say only take it again if you are confident that there will be another significant jump in your score. Unless you are looking to jump from 159 to 160, or 169 to 170, I wouldn't take it again if you are only expecting to increase the score by a point or two. Multiple attempts are only really justified by considerable improvement each time.

OP, don't listen to him/her!!

Even if you have 165/169 and you score 170 in June, oh you have no idea how many more doors will open up for you. :D
I assume same should go regarding 159/160 score difference.

It's 163/164 when it doesn't really matter..

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
jakamajiga wrote:It's great that you jumped four points on your second attempt. I would say only take it again if you are confident that there will be another significant jump in your score. Unless you are looking to jump from 159 to 160, or 169 to 170, I wouldn't take it again if you are only expecting to increase the score by a point or two. Multiple attempts are only really justified by considerable improvement each time.

Even if you have 165/169 and you score 170 in June, oh you have no idea how many more doors will open up for you. :D

Might want to read the post again. He/she's not arguing against anything you've said.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:30 pm

JasonR wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:

Might want to read the post again. He/she's not arguing against anything you've said.

Oops... I tend to skim last words of each row on a wide page, and, obviously, this was not an exception. :oops: So, yeah, listen to him/her :D

Yellowcard

Postby Yellowcard » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:43 pm

I think I can really help you on this one. I was in a similar boat. The first two times I took it, I got the exact same score. It was almost 10 points below what I was practice testing. I made the decision to take it a third time. I couldn't be happier with the results I have had this cycle. Here is how I have had it explain to me. LSAC would like you to take the LSAT as many times as you want because they make money off it. As a result of this, they have managed to leverage the ABA (or however makes these kind of decisions) to make it so that your highest LSAT is the one that is accepted for review. Therefore, their is more incentive for you to take it as many times as possible because a) they get your money and b) you get the benefit of your best score being the the one with the most weight attached to it. That being said, each law school does see each LSAT you have taking. However, that has not hurt me in the slightest. I managed to jump 8 points between my first two tests and my third. It would be wise to call the school you are applying to and asking what their stance is on multiple LSAT's. Almost every school I talked to, with the lone exception being Loyola-LA, said that they would use your top score for reviewing purposes, while Loyola said that they would average. In summary, take it until you get the score you feel most reflects your abilities. Write a short paragraph addendum saying how that score is most reflective of your abilities as a law student. Finally, check with the school what their stance is on the issue. I hope this helps you.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm

3 is not too many as long as you have good reason to believe that you can do better. After that, it starts to get to be a lot, though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”