Would a prep course be worth it?

_confunded_

Would a prep course be worth it?

Postby _confunded_ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:05 am

I know there are probably ten thousand threads like this, but I wanted to get opinions on my specific situation, if that's alright.

I took one of the free practice tests Kaplan offers at my school this past weekend, and got my scores back yesterday. I got a 159, which isn't bad, considering I went into the practice test completely blind, having never so much as opened the LSAT prep book I bought. However, I'd like to get around a 165 (higher if I can manage it) when I take the real test in June.

I qualify for Kaplan's advanced class, which focuses on the types of tougher questions I missed on the practice test. Also, since I took the practice test with them, I get $150 off if I register this week.

Would taking a class be worth it? From experience, has anyone raised their score significantly from taking a course? I'd like to feel pretty confident about it before I make a $1200-1400 investment.

Thanks for your help!

typ3

Re: Would a prep course be worth it?

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:40 am

If you have money to burn, then sure.

The flaming for PR & Kap is sort of unwarranted imo. More than one person on this thread has scored 175-180 using their methods. Actually I found some of Kap's LG diagramming to be more helpful than LGB, I now use a combination of both the methods. I was at a 161 after my kap diag. After only a few weeks after focusing on the problem type I was missing in the mastery book I am hitting 169-168 consistently. I don't know if everyone can expect their score to go up by so much after only a few weeks, but my suggestion is read the PScore bibles and combine them with the organization of the Kaplan mastery book and and structure of the class. TBH Pithy Pike's guide in terms of what problem types to master first etc and LRB/ LGB is identical to Kaplan's syllabus and schedule for their courses. Don't waste your money on Kaplan advanced unless it has a better instructor. The stratosphere 164+ content is actually on par with PScore in terms of quality and some lessons are even better. Ultimately, prep course or not, you have to do the dirty work and grind out the problems until you aren't making mistakes. For me, the course has helped me stay on a schedule, before I was studying maybe 2-3 hours a week for the lsat, and now I'm clicking along at 30+ and starting to enjoy it- my girlfriend not so much.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:43 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:21 pm

I would say definitely worth it. I'm currently enrolled in Kaplan's Extreme course and my understanding of the test and questions has been progressively increasing since session 1. We take our second PT on Thursday, so I will let you know by this weekend if it has really made a noticeable difference already.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Prep courses are helpful (I say this as a teacher of them), though it is certainly possible to do well without them. I self-studied my way to PTing over 20 points higher than where I started, though for complicated reasons I didn't take the real test until over a year later.

At any rate, if I were you, I'd shop around: Kaplan is one option, but there are many others, and it's a lot of money. You want to choose the option that fits you the best.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:30 am

Just took the second PT for Kaplan and went from a 147 diagnostic to a 156 tonight. It's definitely worth it for me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”