Need Advice for June 2010 LSAT

katie96

Need Advice for June 2010 LSAT

Postby katie96 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Hey guys, we're about 3 months away from the June 2010 LSAT now. I am in need of some LSAT prep advice. I'm not taking a course. I work three days a week from 9-5 and am taking 17 credits this semester. All of my classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For those of you who had hectic schedules before the LSAT, do you have any tips on time management or how to structure studying? I am really aiming for a high score but I'm always so busy that I'm worried I won't be able to study enough. What should I focus on and/or what materials do you recommend?

jpSartre

Re: Need Advice for June 2010 LSAT

Postby jpSartre » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:20 pm

I'd say go straight to preptests. Each test runs 230-3 hours depending on whether you do 4 or 5 sections. I'd say figure out how many you can maximally do per week, including 1-2 hrs to review each test, then adjust for burnout as you go. You may want to read the logic games bible, but since you're in a time crunch i'd say skip the reasoning bible if you aren't struggling tremendously. I think with limited time its going to be about performance over depth of comprehension.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 pm

How far along are you in studying? Have you done any prep tests? Did you read anything to give you understanding about the nature of the test?

katie96

Postby katie96 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:42 pm

I took a practice test a couple of weeks ago completely cold--I had never reviewed the material before. I scored a 150. Since then, I've been reviewing the material to get a better understanding of the test.

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:03 pm

katie96 wrote:I took a practice test a couple of weeks ago completely cold--I had never reviewed the material before. I scored a 150. Since then, I've been reviewing the material to get a better understanding of the test.

I worked 50-60 hours a week the entire time I was prepping for the LSAT, so I feel like I can share some advice.

1) What's your goal? As high a score as possible, obviously, but ultimately what score will you be happy with? If you're trying to improve 10+ points...

2) take Blueprint's online course: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107624

As I say in that thread, the freedom to watch their (hilarious) videos on my laptop in sweatpants whenever I had the time (say, 10pm on a Tuesday) was an enormous help.

katie96

Postby katie96 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:13 pm

dynomite wrote:
katie96 wrote:I took a practice test a couple of weeks ago completely cold--I had never reviewed the material before. I scored a 150. Since then, I've been reviewing the material to get a better understanding of the test.

I worked 50-60 hours a week the entire time I was prepping for the LSAT, so I feel like I can share some advice.

1) What's your goal? As high a score as possible, obviously, but ultimately what score will you be happy with? If you're trying to improve 10+ points...

2) take Blueprint's online course: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107624

As I say in that thread, the freedom to watch their (hilarious) videos on my laptop in sweatpants whenever I had the time (say, 10pm on a Tuesday) was an enormous help.

I am really striving for a 170. I need a score that will offset my somewhat low LSAC GPA. I appreciate your tips--definitley will check out the videos.

skip james

Postby skip james » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:35 pm

katie96 wrote:
dynomite wrote:

2) take Blueprint's online course: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=107624

I am really striving for a 170. I need a score that will offset my somewhat low LSAC GPA. I appreciate your tips--definitley will check out the videos.

i don't know, it seems the problem isn't so much which resources to use, and i've heard good things about blueprint so i'm not dogging on them, but the fact that you sound determined to do two things:

1) get a 170+

2) do it in next three months concurrently with a job and pretty full course load

i see people do this all the time, and honestly i think if you really think long and hard about those two goals, you may find that each goal makes the other goal harder to achieve. do you really want to get a 170? are you willing to put in the proper study and time? how much more important is getting a 170+ as compared to getting the test done by june?

i think these are important things to ask yourself. it could turn out that you can manage to pull a 170+ without investing a significant amount of time in the next three months, but i, for one, could not have hit my first 170+ if it wasn't for the fact that i studied for 40-50 hours a week for three months. i needed every hour, since i diag'd in the low 50s. it took me another 8 months to hit my most recent 177. the gains are possible for those who are willing to devote the time and energy it takes to get there, but i think you might be doing yourself a disservice by taking in june. why not take the october exam and study a lot over the summer when you have more time?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”