Need Advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LawPlz

New

Need Advice

Post by LawPlz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 pm

So I just recently received my first LSAT score, and did horrible... (154). I'm completely certain it was the LG section that I bombed the worst on, since other than the "List" type questions and maybe 2-3 other questions, I guessed straight B's or D's for the rest. So I probably got around -14 or so on the games (although I'll never know, since the Feb LSAT is undisclosed). I also probably guessed around 5-6 questions on the RC, while the LR section I usually don't have too much of a problem with.

My question is, how should I prepare for the next LSAT? I would be happy with any score 160 or above. Should I concentrate only on logic games and do every single game in existence until my next writing? The thing is, I don't know why I'm so bad at logic games (I've already completed the Powerscore Bibles, did several timed logic games, review over mistakes I make etc) which is why I'm kinda discouraged. From what I've also read, the recent Feb LSAT logic games were a bit different than previous ones (more trial and error/creating hypotheticals), which I thought would take way too long, so I stuck with attempting to locate inferences within the games, which I failed to do. Arghh

Any advice, or words of encouragement would be helpful :(

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Need Advice

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:35 am

I took the 2/27 test, have not gotten my score yet, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Actually I will not know what I got on the LG section anyway because it is non-disclosed, and this is my first LSAT.

I prepared the most for LG. I feel like it was the only section that can be learned/trained well. I did every single real LG game I bought - about 40 preptests, 160 or so games. I did 1-2 games per night, untimed, right before I go to bed. I figure that's when my head is the most groggy, and I would do much better if I was fresh. But I made sure I did them in a quiet enviornment.

I used largely the techniques in the PS bible, except over time I developed my own notations that I feel that made better sense to me.

When I first started, I would finish each game around 10-12 minutes. After about 20 tests, I am down to around 9 minutes. When I was doing my last 5 preptests, I was down to 8 minutes consistently.

I check answers after each finished game, if an answer is wrong, I would go back and re-do the setup, then redo the question and I would get it right on the second try. After the 100+ games, my accuracy is up to about 1 mistake every 4-5 games. I did them all in note books so I can check my progress, I think I got the last 15-20 games perfect.

I did all the games in a note book, not on the answer books. I figure on the real test I will have to take time to transfer answers to the answer sheet, and doing the games in a seperate book will help me compensate for that loss of time. Also it is easier to review the set ups, and you can re-do the questions. I write out ABCDE then cross out the wrong answers as I go.

On the 2/27 test I finished all 4 games. Actually it took me about 28 minutes to finishe the all but the last 2 questions. I spent all the time I needed to figure out the last 2 questions. I am not sure if I got a -0 on the section (well I will never know) but I feel like 0 to -1.

I feel like doing the LG is like playing many sports. You train your brain and turn learned skills into instincts. You will be able to diagram anything you want if you do enough of them. That's why sport players practice to death, to drill the skill into your subconcious so when the real time comes, you don't have to think about what to do. This will improve accuracy and speed.

So my suggestion is practice and more practice. Untimed, 1-2 at a time, do it everyday, train your brain. Use the PS bible.

LawPlz

New

Post by LawPlz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks a lot for your advice, I guess I'll work on doing every logic game until I can start doing them in my sleep, lol. I might try that notebook thing too. Since you mentioned you do 1-2 games everyday untimed, how often and when did you start doing timed games?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:15 am

I should clarify, I did do some timed games, but I didn't put any self-pressure on being timed. I would take a look at the starting time, write it down, then do the game, and when I finish, I would write the end time down, therefore figure out how long it took. I did it at least every 2 days or so. I sort of just wanted to know how I am progressing, and getting them right was the priority. I never rushed a game just because it took too long, I took all the time I needed to get to the right answer. It was amazing how I end up doing them in 8 minutes or less at the end without even trying to work through them fast. I just noticed after 100 or so games that it was a lot easier to spot the inferences, and a lot easier to be able to juggle the rules and variables in my brain. It is like it just "clicks". People discussed that this test we took on Sat had hard LG games and I feel like they were mostly standard. As matter a fact when I went to the bathroom during break I thought it was my experimental because I couldn't believe they put 3 games that I finished in less than 20 minutes.

Give yourself time, keep practicing, don't pressure yourself, it will come to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”