Hand Scoring-known cases of it resulting in score increase?

ljbc03

Hand Scoring-known cases of it resulting in score increase?

Postby ljbc03 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:35 pm

Curious--any known cases of hand scoring actually increasing score? I know I had to erase and refill 3 Qs at the last minute because i filled in my last 3 answers wrong...

I doubt it, but maybe the smudges made an error. How sensitive are these tests?

Scales of Justice

Re: Hand Scoring-known cases of it resulting in score increase?

Postby Scales of Justice » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 pm

I'd really love to know the answer to this... I had serious eraser difficulties on the February exam and I'd REALLY like to know if getting it hand-scored will help. I mean, I'm going to do it anyway, but I'd love some positive reinforcement. The erasure marks were VERY heavy in the case of 2 of my answers, and in the case of several others pretty darn bad.

ljbc03

Postby ljbc03 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:15 pm

This guy posted that he had a score increase bc he misbubbled a sec and rebubbled with erasures. he also said 3-5 day turn around on hand score.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4710

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:13 pm

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I had 3 questions (at least) that I know I changed the answer at the last minute to TCR. (I was down to 5 min, has bubbled C, and then had time to work the problems and find the correct answers) I erased and erased, but was bothered that the bubbles still looked pretty dark. I remember feeling concern at the time that the machine might misread, but thought I would know for sure once I saw the scantron compared to the answers. Just my luck, the Feb. test is non-disclosed.

I made a 169, and being on the cusp of the 170's makes me want to try for a hand-score if there's any chance the computer may have misread those erased marks.

Can anyone who took a disclosed test tell me whether the machine read the answers correctly on any responses you erased?

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:31 pm

It doesn't hurt to try. Well, actually it would hurt if the hand-score result is LOWER than the machine result.

But these scantron machines are usually damn good at picking out the darker bubble, so don't keep your hopes up too much. That said, if you really do remember not properly erasing an answer then go for it.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:33 pm

rupret1 wrote:I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I had 3 questions (at least) that I know I changed the answer at the last minute to TCR. (I was down to 5 min, has bubbled C, and then had time to work the problems and find the correct answers) I erased and erased, but was bothered that the bubbles still looked pretty dark. I remember feeling concern at the time that the machine might misread, but thought I would know for sure once I saw the scantron compared to the answers. Just my luck, the Feb. test is non-disclosed.

I made a 169, and being on the cusp of the 170's makes me want to try for a hand-score if there's any chance the computer may have misread those erased marks.

Can anyone who took a disclosed test tell me whether the machine read the answers correctly on any responses you erased?

I'm pretty sure the machines are more than sensitive enough for those types of situations. As long as you made a decent attempt to erase one set, it'll only pick up your actual answers.

Hand rescore usually only results in changes for like skipped rows or actual stray marks and that kind of stuff.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

willwash

Postby willwash » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:58 pm

I've actually thought about going into the test knowing I would request hand scoring, and making a quick slash in my bubble of choice. Doing that instead of taking the time to blacken the bubble completely and darkly saves

a) sharpness of pencil lead, essential for diagramming games
b) time, perhaps two seconds for each bubble which adds up to a solid minute by the end which is crucial in games.

ljbc03

Postby ljbc03 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:11 pm

hah. i have thght of this too

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:49 pm

willwash wrote:I've actually thought about going into the test knowing I would request hand scoring, and making a quick slash in my bubble of choice. Doing that instead of taking the time to blacken the bubble completely and darkly saves

a) sharpness of pencil lead, essential for diagramming games
b) time, perhaps two seconds for each bubble which adds up to a solid minute by the end which is crucial in games.

Not that I'm condoning this idea, but it's also likely that your proctor would allow you to darken them if you showed them the test at the end and said "I'm worried I didn't darken these bubbles enough. If you stand over me to ensure I'm not changing them, will you allow me to ensure I'm given credit for my answers?"

(I know someone who did this just because she was nervous as hell and the proctor let her.)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”