Materials Advice For Second Time Around

dannyde7

Materials Advice For Second Time Around

Postby dannyde7 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 pm

So I took the Feb 6. test. Was PTing 165-173, avg.168 and completely bombed the test with a 161.

I have already marked up a LOT of materials-- All three Powerscore books, all the 10 Official, and Preptest 58. I have a bunch of the newer Preptests as PDFs so I can print them out again.

I was thinking about going to Cambridge LSAT and buying the Logical Reasoning questions and the hardest LSAT questions and going through them again.

Does anyone have tips for new materials I could purchase or a new, good set of books that give a new, good approach to the test?

Anyone have tips for studying the second time around? I feel that I could be safe studying again in mid-April, since I already know the test pretty well.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks.

ljbc03

Re: Materials Advice For Second Time Around

Postby ljbc03 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm in the same boat. On cambridge, were you looking at the complete bundles that break it down by questions type? I am going to also by new practice tests and keep working them all. Even though I've done all the PTs once, most PTs I've done twice.

Please keep me posted on ur thoughts/progress. Gluck for june.

PS- were u really nervous during it? I think nerves played into mine a lot... just curious if u think u know what caused the lower actual test score...

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:42 am

I actually wasn't nervous. However, the second I started the first section, I froze. My brain stopped working for like 4 minutes. I ended up guessing on the last 4 questions of the section.

Throughout the rest of the test I kept telling myself "This is just practice now. You're going to cancel." I got to the end of the test and I went home. Everyone told me not to cancel, so I didn't. And now I have a 161. I really think it's my attitude that screwed me. I went through reading comp basically saying "screw it, just keep moving."

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:58 am

dannyde7 wrote:I actually wasn't nervous. However, the second I started the first section, I froze. My brain stopped working for like 4 minutes. I ended up guessing on the last 4 questions of the section.

Throughout the rest of the test I kept telling myself "This is just practice now. You're going to cancel." I got to the end of the test and I went home. Everyone told me not to cancel, so I didn't. And now I have a 161. I really think it's my attitude that screwed me. I went through reading comp basically saying "screw it, just keep moving."

I had the exact same PT average and ended up with a 161 as well. Disappointing? Yes. But, like you, I feel that my major problems came from myself not from the test. I went in and wasn't very nervous, but the second I started my first section (the real logic games) my mind just stopped and I had to guess on the last 3 or 4 games. I worked through most of the bibles but I took a prep course that took the primary portion of my attention. So, I am going to hit those hard this time and hope that prior experience helps me the 2nd time around. Good Luck!

chocho

Postby chocho » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:11 pm

when i retook i had the same problem. However, i think its important to acknowledge your real situation. are you retaking because you are not smart enough yet and did not do as well because you have more to learn? or did you not just perform according to your ability to test day? for me, and i assume with you too based on your pt average, i didnt perform on test day. therefore, i really didnt have to 'learn' more and study more new material for test day, i simply had to learn to relax and do my 'thang' come test day. so i focused on old tests that i completed already, built my confidence up with those, and just got back to the basics....and for me at least, it worked.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks, chocho. How much was your boost?

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:50 pm

hi all. I was testing around 170 before the September exam and was disappointed with my 165. I just retook in Feb and got a 174. I was much more relaxed and comfortable this time around and actually didn't study as much in the days leading up to the exam as I did in September. I also think my work- and life-related stress levels were much lower this time and it had an impact on my mental state.

In terms of materials, I erased my work in the 10 most recent PTs and retook them and ordered PT 58 from Cambridge LSAT. The major thing I did very differently was ALWAYS take 5 section practice tests, and sometimes did 6 sections without a break. As other posters here have said, it helps build up your mental endurance.

Good luck!

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:02 pm

That's really helpful. Thanks chutzpah. What was your study method? I was doing like 3 PTs a week in the month leading up the exam. I think I ended up burning out. Also, I was having a bit of difficulty with timing, and though I told myself I would be better on the test, none of those problems went away on the test and I ended up guessing for like the last 2 questions in each section.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”