Hand Scoring Request

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Hand Scoring Request

Postby Pricer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:08 pm

http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/LSAT-score.asp
There it has very specific instructions for what to do to have your test hand scored, but it has no guidelines for the written request. I searched the site and the forum, and came up with nothing there either. If anyone is familiar with the matter, could you please read this and tell me if it is acceptable?
To Whom It May Concern,

I have received my score for the February 6, 2010 LSAT administration. Based on my performance on practice tests previously administered and now available as study materials, the results from February 6 seem to be below what I consider my scoring range. This has led me to the conclusion that an error occurred during the automated grading process. Therefore, I am requesting that my test be rescored by hand.

While taking the test, I distinctly remember marks that were not properly erased. Also, I smeared several bubbles in one section during an attempt to answer the last question before the final seconds expired. I believe that these errant marks and smudges caused the grading machine to inaccurately score my test. If graded again by hand, I think that some of these answers deemed incorrect by a computer will actually be correct, thus improving my score on the test.

Enclosed with this letter are the requested documents, including my personal information, my testing information, and a $41 check made payable to the Law School Admission Council.

Sincerely,
x______________________

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby CMDantes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:12 pm

This sounds legit, I would definitely do this in your situation.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby dakatz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm

You make it sound like its just a possibility. Don't you have a PDF of your actual answer sheet? It should be immediately clear if there was any sort of error with regard to erasures or errant marks.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby 20121109 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:16 pm

dakatz wrote:You make it sound like its just a possibility. Don't you have a PDF of your actual answer sheet? It should be immediately clear if there was any sort of error with regard to erasures or errant marks.


Feb test is undisclosed, including the answer sheet. It would be in his best interest to request handscoring.

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby CMDantes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:16 pm

I don't think they release anything other than his score for the February exam, so I doubt he has a PDF.

Edit: Got beat.

nabihana
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby nabihana » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:17 pm

dakatz wrote:You make it sound like its just a possibility. Don't you have a PDF of your actual answer sheet? It should be immediately clear if there was any sort of error with regard to erasures or errant marks.


February exams are undisclosed so you only receive the score, percentile, and writing sample.

ljbc03
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby ljbc03 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:09 pm

I am considering the same. I scored well below my PTs.

WHAT IF IT IS LOWER after the hand score? they go with that! meh.

LSAC:
"Note
If the handscoring results in a score that is different from the original machine scoring—higher or lower—the revised score will be mailed to you and the law schools to which you apply"

Forcier
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 am

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby Forcier » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:39 pm

How long do you have to request a hand scoring?

ljbc03
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby ljbc03 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:51 pm

i think 60 days. check lsac.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby Pricer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 am

You have 60 days from the date of the administration, so 38 days from today for us 2/6 takers (I'm on eastern time).

I seriously doubt it will be lower, but if it is, then I guess I deserve it.

ljbc03
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby ljbc03 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:10 am

me to..........................meh.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby albanach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:35 am

Pricer wrote:http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/LSAT-score.asp
There it has very specific instructions for what to do to have your test hand scored, but it has no guidelines for the written request. I searched the site and the forum, and came up with nothing there either. If anyone is familiar with the matter, could you please read this and tell me if it is acceptable?


Your LSAC scoresheet says: "Be sure to fill in completely the space for your intended answer choice. If you erase, do so completely. Make no stray marks."

Why not:

Dear LSAC:

I would like to request hand scoring of my test taken on xxxx and enclose a check for $41 as payment.

My published score was significantly lower than my practice test average and I am concerned there may have been a error in the processing of my answer sheet. As the February test is non-disclosed, I can only confirm or rule out this possibility by requesting hand-scoring.

Many thanks,

John Pricer.

User avatar
lostjake
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby lostjake » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:57 am

You're probably just wasting your money. With the way modern scantrons are its very very unlikely to result in a change.

chocho
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby chocho » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:18 am

yeah, thats true. touching on that, has anyone ever requested handscoring and have it actually result in a grade change?

when i took the lsat, i was rushed at one point and changed two answers at the last second, and i could barely erase the wrong answer and barely was able to fill in TCR, yet the scantron correctly scored my test

Alpha Helix
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby Alpha Helix » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:55 pm

chocho wrote:yeah, thats true. touching on that, has anyone ever requested handscoring and have it actually result in a grade change?

when i took the lsat, i was rushed at one point and changed two answers at the last second, and i could barely erase the wrong answer and barely was able to fill in TCR, yet the scantron correctly scored my test


Sweet, I feel like I totally stunk at erasing yesterday! I'll closely follow what happens with Pricer *takes notes*

Forcier
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 am

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby Forcier » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:48 pm

on the last section (RC) i had 28 bubbled for 27 questions with 45 seconds to go. I erased and changed 15 of them (I think I didn't get to 2-3 of them). Probably won't change anything but I will be very impressed with the machines if it was able to ignore all my barely erased marks.

ljbc03
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby ljbc03 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:03 pm

This guy posted that he had a score increase bc he misbubbled a sec and rebubbled with erasures. he also said 3-5 day turn around on hand score.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4710

I dont think one can totally rule out the possibility of mechanical error and hand scoring might not be a bad idea...

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby awesomepossum » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:07 pm

It's not my favorite way, but occasionally you take what you can get.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby Ragged » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Hey Pricer how much below your PT average did you get, if you don't mind me asking.

14yearplan
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby 14yearplan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:21 pm

albanach wrote:
Pricer wrote:http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/LSAT-score.asp
There it has very specific instructions for what to do to have your test hand scored, but it has no guidelines for the written request. I searched the site and the forum, and came up with nothing there either. If anyone is familiar with the matter, could you please read this and tell me if it is acceptable?


Your LSAC scoresheet says: "Be sure to fill in completely the space for your intended answer choice. If you erase, do so completely. Make no stray marks."

Why not:

Dear LSAC:

I would like to request hand scoring of my test taken on xxxx and enclose a check for $41 as payment.

My published score was significantly lower than my practice test average and I am concerned there may have been a error in the processing of my answer sheet. As the February test is non-disclosed, I can only confirm or rule out this possibility by requesting hand-scoring.

Many thanks,

John Pricer.


I would stick with this:

Dear LSAC:

Please hand score my test taken on xxxx. I have enclosed a check for $41 as payment.


Many thanks,

John Pricer.
[/quote]

You have the right to have them do it and you need not explain why. I always believe that less said is better, especially given how LSAC likes to (and does) use things against applicants. Not sure if stray marks can be used against you, as the previous poster brought up, but I would definitely advise against bringing it up. Good luck.

My .02

User avatar
birD
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby birD » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:53 pm

I am a retaker from the June 09 test and when I look at my answer sheet for it I can clearly see where I erased things, theres a light smudge. I erased a lot of things during the Feb test thoroughly but judging from my June answer sheet there is probably light smudges where I erased. Do you think these got picked up by the scantron machine?

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby Mr. Pablo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:17 pm

birD wrote:I am a retaker from the June 09 test and when I look at my answer sheet for it I can clearly see where I erased things, theres a light smudge. I erased a lot of things during the Feb test thoroughly but judging from my June answer sheet there is probably light smudges where I erased. Do you think these got picked up by the scantron machine?



My answer sheet was a disaster and the scantron recorded my answers perfectly (sept09). There is a lot more leeway than they make it out to be.
As for the letter I would go with 14yearplan's suggestion. Just ask for the hand-scoring if you really want it, no need to explain; they don't care.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby albanach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:42 pm

14yearplan wrote:You have the right to have them do it and you need not explain why. I always believe that less said is better, especially given how LSAC likes to (and does) use things against applicants. Not sure if stray marks can be used against you, as the previous poster brought up, but I would definitely advise against bringing it up. Good luck.


Actually your letter is pretty much what I penned as my first suggestion. Then I paused and double checked the LSAC website. It says:

Include: your name, LSAC account number, the last four digits of your Social Security/Insurance identification number, the test date, the test center name and code number, your reason for requesting the handscore, and payment for the $41 ($43 CDN) handscore fee (check, money order, or credit card).


Since they ask for a reason, I thought it better to give one, and agreeing with the principle of the less said the better, suggest my letter above saying the score did not meet expectations and you have no way to review the non disclosed scantron form.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby Pricer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Ragged wrote:Hey Pricer how much below your PT average did you get, if you don't mind me asking.


My PT average was 171-172, I scored a 162. I expected a 165-166. I knew I didn't do as well as I had on PTs, but I didn't think I did that bad. Those 3 or 4 points would come from the 6 or so questions I smudged. But I really think the scantron graded it correctly. My friend just thinks it is worth checking just in case. Either way, I am hoping for a 170 in June and applying next cycle, so it doesn't matter too much, just might save me an LSAT addendum.

JasonR
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:09 am

Re: Hand Scoring Request

Postby JasonR » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:03 am

Pricer wrote:http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/LSAT-score.asp
There it has very specific instructions for what to do to have your test hand scored, but it has no guidelines for the written request. I searched the site and the forum, and came up with nothing there either. If anyone is familiar with the matter, could you please read this and tell me if it is acceptable?
To Whom It May Concern,

I have received my score for the February 6, 2010 LSAT administration. Based on my performance on practice tests previously administered and now available as study materials, the results from February 6 seem to be below what I consider my scoring range. This has led me to the conclusion that an error occurred during the automated grading process. Therefore, I am requesting that my test be rescored by hand.

While taking the test, I distinctly remember marks that were not properly erased. Also, I smeared several bubbles in one section during an attempt to answer the last question before the final seconds expired. I believe that these errant marks and smudges caused the grading machine to inaccurately score my test. If graded again by hand, I think that some of these answers deemed incorrect by a computer will actually be correct, thus improving my score on the test.

Enclosed with this letter are the requested documents, including my personal information, my testing information, and a $41 check made payable to the Law School Admission Council.

Sincerely,
x______________________



It's your right to request handscoring, and the LSAC will happily take your money. Just provide whatever basic info they need, ask for handscoring, enclose a check, and leave it at that. All of that extra verbiage is totally unnecessary.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], Instrumental, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests