So, what am I doing wrong?

deputamadre

So, what am I doing wrong?

Postby deputamadre » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:52 am

I have been studying for this damn test tecnically since August. I took a Kaplan course till October which was a huge waste of time. My score increased 0 points (yes, I did do all the hw). I then hired a private tutor till December and he helped me get up to an average of 5 points more per test. I have been drilling everything religously since then end of November and nothings clicking. I still get -10 on Logic Games and anywhere from -9 to -12 on Logical Reasoning. My reading comp seems to have improved however, and I haven't even started studying for it! I've been through the the LG Bible and am about to start on the LR Bible. What next?

In a nutshell, I've been doing 1 timed PT per week and another one untimed, working on technique. Time may be my issue b/c when its untimed I get almost 100% right on Logic Games and -3 to -5 on Logical Reasoning. As soon as I do it timed, my scores are back to where they were 6 months ago.

Should I take more timed PTs? More untimed?

ec2xs

Re: So, what am I doing wrong?

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:56 am

If I were you, I would go through tests slowly and make sure you get every question right. Take your time. Work on your accuracy, then build yourself back up to timed practice tests.

This is how I studied, anyways. Accuracy first, then adjust to time constraints.

deputamadre

Postby deputamadre » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:58 am

ec2xs wrote:If I were you, I would go through tests slowly and make sure you get every question right. Take your time. Work on your accuracy, then build yourself back up to timed practice tests.

This is how I studied, anyways. Accuracy first, then adjust to time constraints.

Yea, this is what I did for a while and got my sections down to -5 each at most. Although its not every question right, I thought it would be time to move to timed tests. And here I am...

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:59 am

Sounds like you just weren't born with it, dude.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:00 am

deputamadre wrote:
ec2xs wrote:If I were you, I would go through tests slowly and make sure you get every question right. Take your time. Work on your accuracy, then build yourself back up to timed practice tests.

Yea, this is what I did for a while and got my sections down to -5 each at most. Although its not every question right, I thought it would be time to move to timed tests. And here I am...

Are you going back and figuring out the ones you got wrong?

deputamadre

Postby deputamadre » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:02 am

Yes. However in the past I wasn't. I started doing this around mid-november until now. For Christmas and New Years I took about a 3 week break.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:03 am

MTal wrote:Sounds like you just weren't born with it, dude.

TITCR

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:05 am

Don't listen to the douches. Just keep working at it and don't put so much pressure on yourself. Go back and figure out each question you got wrong. I redid every question I ever missed until I got it right (and I did this before ever timing myself).

Good luck!

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:07 am

ec2xs wrote:Don't listen to the douches....Go back and figure out each question you got wrong.

That's what he's been doing since...uhh....August.

Shrimps

Postby Shrimps » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:08 am

Don't be mean. If he's doing far better untimed than timed, it's likely not his lapses in logic. He needs to become more confident and more mechanical to increase his speed. Perhaps it's a self-inflicted psychological problem.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:54 pm

ec2xs wrote:Don't listen to the douches.

+1

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:36 pm

Whether or not you believe in it, karma can be a bitch guys. If only for the ill-wishes of others you bring upon yourselves for being unwarranted jackasses. He's going to take the test regardless of whether or not he has "it" (which, I think, is a laughable and elitist attitude) so why not be productive and help him achieve as high a score as possible given the 'deficiency.'

To the OP, I suggest you stop doing timed PT's and start working through the logic games bible slowly again. Every time you finish a chapter, find the category of game being covered in the older PT's and drill them extensively. You can find the categorization of those games (by game types) by searching through these forums or this blog: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/

This has helped my LG progress considerably, and I hope it serves you well.

As far as LR goes, it's my strongest section and I haven't had to extensively study for it yet...so I'll let someone else talk about that.

Anyway, good luck to you, and don't listen to some of the people on this community. They can be unnecessarily harsh.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”