Question about lsat classes

myfriendtoldmeimkeen

Question about lsat classes

Postby myfriendtoldmeimkeen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:10 pm

I have decided to take the lsat in June and I have a lot going on in my personal life leading up to the test. I have a high GPA (3.9+), and of course am aiming for 170+ and I have registered for a TestMasters course because it will force me to make time in my busy to focus on the lsat. I know they give a lot of homework (or so I've heard), so I'm wondering if I take the class/ homework seriously if it will be enough to get the score I want without much else outside prep. Any advice would be appreciated!

scribelaw

Re: Question about lsat classes

Postby scribelaw » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Don't rely on the class.

To get a 170+, you need to buy the LR and LG PowerScore Bibles and as many actual past tests as possible. You need 3-4 months of disciplined preparation, going through the books, doing past tests, reviewing your answers to determine why you missed the ones you missed. Do the logic games over and over, until you're fast and it's second nature.

With your GPA, you're obviously smart enough to do well on the LSAT. But the reason the average score is 151 is because most people prepare lightly or they just take a class. It takes much more than to score in the 98th or 99th percentile.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:49 am

If you do the HW, you'll be in good shape. There's a lot of it.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:24 am

The homework for most reputable test prep companies is most or all of the released LSATs ever. If you do that correctly (going over your work carefully), you should be fine. No supplements are necessary and may not even be useful, just because you're doing all the released questions anyway, so either you're just getting extra copies of the same thing or you're getting fake questions, which are not as good.

Simply attending the class is not good enough, but if you take full advantage of all the materials, you'll likely be fine.

(And I got a 170+ and never even glanced at the PS Bibles.)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”