When to Register For LSAT

angiej

When to Register For LSAT

Postby angiej » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:17 pm

I need to buckle down with my lsat studying. My hope is that if I register for the LSAT I will feel the increased pressure of having plunked down the $$$ and it will become more "real" to me. Is this a logical tactic? I suppose I could always pay the $47 to reschedule to September but I think that part of the reason I haven't gotten very serious about my studying is that I still have this mindset of it being "months away."

cavebat2000

Re: When to Register For LSAT

Postby cavebat2000 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:20 pm

angiej wrote:I need to buckle down with my lsat studying. My hope is that if I register for the LSAT I will feel the increased pressure of having plunked down the $$$ and it will become more "real" to me. Is this a logical tactic? I suppose I could always pay the $47 to reschedule to September but I think that part of the reason I haven't gotten very serious about my studying is that I still have this mindset of it being "months away."

Definitely register several months in advance or you will likely not be able to find a place near you to take it. This is also good because it will give you several months to study. I'd say at least 3-4 months if your first test is around 150.

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Sounds like it's a good plan for you. Plus, seats fill up fast and you may end up having to take your test somewhere inconvenient if you wait too long.

cardnal124

Postby cardnal124 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:22 pm

angiej wrote:I need to buckle down with my lsat studying. My hope is that if I register for the LSAT I will feel the increased pressure of having plunked down the $$$ and it will become more "real" to me. Is this a logical tactic? I suppose I could always pay the $47 to reschedule to September but I think that part of the reason I haven't gotten very serious about my studying is that I still have this mindset of it being "months away."

You've had over 1k posts and you haven't taken the LSAT yet?

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:24 pm

cardnal124 wrote:You've had over 1k posts and you haven't taken the LSAT yet?
:)

PigNipple

Postby PigNipple » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Put the money down asap. This makes sure that you get into the testing center you want before it fills. Also, making the commitment and putting the money down will motivate you to study. Just do it already.

PigNipple

Postby PigNipple » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Atlas LSAT Teacher wrote:

WTF?

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Well, I should say that you need to register now. The slots for seats go fast esp for the June test.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:42 pm

PigNipple wrote:
Atlas LSAT Teacher wrote:

WTF?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:41 pm

Just registered for the June LSAT today! (70 miles away from where I live was the closest center unfortunately :x )

My advice, don't think about it, just do it! just get it done with!

I had to fill out all that information about GPA, ethnicity, etc. What do they use this for? are they going to mail me things based on what I put? Thank you.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Knockglock wrote:

Just registered for the June LSAT today! (70 miles away from where I live was the closest center unfortunately :x )

I had to fill out all that information about GPA, ethnicity, etc. What do they use this for? are they going to mail me things based on what I put? Thank you.

Well LSAC releases that information to law schools, and the law schools will send you "propaganda", err, I mean "avertising", err, I mean information about their schools.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:44 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Well LSAC releases that information to law schools, and the law schools will send you "propaganda", err, I mean "avertising", err, I mean information about their schools.

Haha, okay, thanks. So it doesn't really benefit me in any way, just allows me to get some more information from schools?

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:08 pm

OKAY! I see there is a consensus. I will be registering TONIGHT. What do I need to know? I see there are additional add-ons like handscoring, paper copy, etc. Which of those, if any do I want to include?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:14 am

angiej wrote:OKAY! I see there is a consensus. I will be registering TONIGHT. What do I need to know? I see there are additional add-ons like handscoring, paper copy, etc. Which of those, if any do I want to include?

All you need to do is select your testing date and location and pay the fee online. The handscoring, paper copy, etc. are options after you take the LSAT.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 am

im_blue wrote:
angiej wrote:OKAY! I see there is a consensus. I will be registering TONIGHT. What do I need to know? I see there are additional add-ons like handscoring, paper copy, etc. Which of those, if any do I want to include?

All you need to do is select your testing date and location and pay the fee online. The handscoring, paper copy, etc. are options after you take the LSAT.

You have over 1000 posts on TLS;; what in the WORLD have you been posting about???

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:36 am

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

You have over 1000 posts on TLS;; what in the WORLD have you been posting about???

Well . . . for all of 2008 and 2009 I had a super boring desk job, and I've known I wanted to go to law school since then. So I guess I post a lot about schools, and information I have acquired in my own pursuit. Additionally, I have been employed as a paralegal for 5 years, and before that I was a secretary at a criminal defense firm, so I often chime in on what law firms are like, and information I have based on my own work experience. And of course there is always the off-topic threads.

sarcasmpolice

Postby sarcasmpolice » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Sarcasmpolice, love your avatar

ST7740

Postby ST7740 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:59 pm

Ok heres the deal.

Take this from someones personal experience.

"GET DOWN AND GET STUDYING and take it ASAP".

Why?

Well I took the Feb LSAT as my FIRST one and u know thats bad, REALLY bad for my chances at getting in. Why did I take the LSAT for da first time in February? Because I was all chill and going "Heh, Ill have time to study, no problemo" and then came time to take the December LSAT and I had a month or so to study and I was all like, "DAMN if I start now ill be retarded on the exam" so I registered for February so I could study good for like 3 months and even then I wish I had more time to study.

So get to it as early as u can, also make sure u get loaded with prep tests and books.

Why? They tend to sell out the closer it gets to exam day!

angiej

Postby angiej » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:27 pm

ST7740 wrote:Ok heres the deal.

Take this from someones personal experience.

"GET DOWN AND GET STUDYING and take it ASAP".

Why?

Well I took the Feb LSAT as my FIRST one and u know thats bad, REALLY bad for my chances at getting in. Why did I take the LSAT for da first time in February? Because I was all chill and going "Heh, Ill have time to study, no problemo" and then came time to take the December LSAT and I had a month or so to study and I was all like, "DAMN if I start now ill be retarded on the exam" so I registered for February so I could study good for like 3 months and even then I wish I had more time to study.

So get to it as early as u can, also make sure u get loaded with prep tests and books.

Why? They tend to sell out the closer it gets to exam day!

Thanks for this advice and encouragement. I registered Thursday night, bought 10 preptests from LSAC (I already have the "10 next actual" book and the LG bible and LR bible) and put together a "syllabus" together with weekly deadlines. I've consulted Pithypike's guide ...what else? (Aside from buckling down). Has anyone used the PS LG workbook or flashcards?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”