Best way to boost score 7+ points

ausoccer19

Best way to boost score 7+ points

Postby ausoccer19 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 am

I apologize for posting a probably over-asked question, but what is the general consensus for the most effective way to jump 7 or so points. My current score is a 158 (not very happy with), unfortunately a ways below my avg. practice scores of 163-164. I don't know if I am just not a good standardized test taker or what? I thought I was ready and had prepared, but after coming to this forum I realize I was most likely not where I should be. Therefore, what can be done?

Obviously studying a lot and as many practice tests as possible is recommended, but I'm searching for specific study aids, avg. time studying a day and for how long before the test, etc. The Powerscore Bibles seem to be the most preferred by TLS posters from what i've read, ideas, agree? I'm planning on re-taking in September and re-applying to a few places once my score comes back depending on how the rest of my cycle goes, so I have some time. Any input is appreciated.

Flanker1067

Re: Best way to boost score 7+ points

Postby Flanker1067 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:04 am

Search old threads. Some people with very high LSAT scores have given detailed and useful study tips, techniques and regiments.

ausoccer19

Postby ausoccer19 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks. I apologize, I'm relatively new to the site and literally five minutes after posting this, i saw PithyPikes complete LSAT guide three inches above my post. My bad....

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 am

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:42 pm

As someone who jumped from a 158 to a 164 I feel I can offer a bit of advice.

The number one thing I did different in preparation was intense review of prep tests. If you take a PT, fail to review it, and go take another PT, you aren't really helping yourself. You just can't expect to make big strides but just doing it over and over (although repetition is still a big component). After a PT, take the next day or so to review every wrong answer. Do this by breaking down the stimulus and examining every answer choice, then actually writing out why each answer choice is either right or wrong. This takes a long time, but is well worth it. If you are feeling inspired, you can even do this for questions you got right but felt were nonetheless tricky.

Next, if you haven't mastered logic games, do so. Performing well on LG saved my score and was probably the biggest factor in my individual score increase. Get copies of every game and do 4-6 almost every day. Time yourself, do entire sections, make it second nature.

This was just my situation/experience, but yours may be different. You could be having timing issues, RC issues, text anxiety, etc. Do a lot of prep tests and try to work up your endurance. Find a rhythm (especially in LR).

Good luck!

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Depends on the area you are struggling most with. I went from a 155 to a 168 and the bibles certainly helped (all but the RC bible). I identified RC as my weakest area and, in order to improve my score, I began reading many articles from the economist, wall street journal, etc. Also, go to the library and take some tests, that way you don't get rattled by page flipping or coughing on test day, practicing at your desk isn't enough.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”