How do I break into 170's?

Confused&Pissed

How do I break into 170's?

Postby Confused&Pissed » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 pm

I am currently studying to write the June LSAT and can't consistently score in the 170's. My pt range is 168-175, but the average is about 170. I usually score -0 to -1 on games, -0 to -4 on RC, and like -8 on combined LR. I have the PS LR Bible, but I honestly think it's overly complicated. When I review the LR sections I understand why I got the answers I missed wrong, and feel like an idiot for picking the wrong AC. I'm thinking about doing the Blueprint Movie, but I think studying the next couple months might be enough. Please offer any advice or tools which might help me...Ty in advance.

starstruck393

Re: How do I break into 170's?

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Do all the PT's. I didn't use all of the PS tips, just used it to supplement my weaknesses, for instance on why answers that seemed right weren't. If you can consistently understand why you're missing those LR questions, I've gotta believe that after enough practice, the light will click on and you'll stop getting so many initially wrong...

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:27 pm

This is going to sound like bad advice:

Stop studying for a couple of weeks. Do something to keep your mind off of the LSAT (nearly impossible, I know). I had to stop for a few weeks when I was studying, and when I came back to it I was testing 4 or 5 points higher on average (from mid 160s average to low 170s average, 170 final score).
I am not sure if the break is what really did it, but when I started PTing again, I felt like I came at it with a better idea of what the testers considered a credited response. I felt like something had clicked in my study intermission.
Just my thoughts.

thunder 85

Postby thunder 85 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Confused&Pissed wrote:I am currently studying to write the June LSAT and can't consistently score in the 170's. My pt range is 168-175, but the average is about 170. I usually score -0 to -1 on games, -0 to -4 on RC, and like -8 on combined LR. I have the PS LR Bible, but I honestly think it's overly complicated. When I review the LR sections I understand why I got the answers I missed wrong, and feel like an idiot for picking the wrong AC. I'm thinking about doing the Blueprint Movie, but I think studying the next couple months might be enough. Please offer any advice or tools which might help me...Ty in advance.

If you miss that many LR it means you don't have a conceptual mastery of Logical Reasoning Questions. Because the LR feels most similar to other standardized tests, people often approach it like any other standardized tests. The opposite is true for games, which is why so many testers readily accept and master the methods.

Personally I think Kaplan does the best job of teaching the LR: breaking out into question types, consistent almost robotic application of their methods (identifying E+A=C), 4 right one wrong principle. It seems simplistic, but honestly the LSAT is so constrained that its works and can get almost any test taker without severe time issues into the -3/-2 range.

Without actually looking at your tests, I would also recommend not only looking at what individual questions you miss, but as a group what are you missing. A lot of overlooked scope shifts? Assumption questions? Parallel reasoning? Point at Issue?

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 pm

Thank you for the tips...I usually get down to two AC's and choose the wrong one. I guess I need to figure out why I keep convincing myself that the wrong AC is correct. I think I am actually over thinking things. Ty for all the responses :)

thunder 85

Postby thunder 85 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:04 pm

Confused&Pissed wrote:Thank you for the tips...I usually get down to two AC's and choose the wrong one. I guess I need to figure out why I keep convincing myself that the wrong AC is correct. I think I am actually over thinking things. Ty for all the responses :)

When that's the case, typically it means that you have trouble identifying really slight shifts in scope. It’s a difficult problem to fix. But remember this. When you miss a problem you’ve made two mistakes not one. You rejected the correct answer, and accepted the wrong. Figure why you made both those decisions.

Also, if you are identifying the conclusion and evidence in every stimulus (which you should be, and thinking about the assumption when called for), then you should also try and pay attention to any possible deviations to the scope before you hit the answers (think about how far you can go without leaving it).

I recommend looking at questions you missed without knowing the correct answer. Solve the answer again from scratch, and then see if you pin point both your mistake and the right answer on your own before verifying it.

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 am

This is really helpful, I will give it a shot TY :D

thunder 85 wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:Thank you for the tips...I usually get down to two AC's and choose the wrong one. I guess I need to figure out why I keep convincing myself that the wrong AC is correct. I think I am actually over thinking things. Ty for all the responses :)

When that's the case, typically it means that you have trouble identifying really slight shifts in scope. It’s a difficult problem to fix. But remember this. When you miss a problem you’ve made two mistakes not one. You rejected the correct answer, and accepted the wrong. Figure why you made both those decisions.

Also, if you are identifying the conclusion and evidence in every stimulus (which you should be, and thinking about the assumption when called for), then you should also try and pay attention to any possible deviations to the scope before you hit the answers (think about how far you can go without leaving it).

I recommend looking at questions you missed without knowing the correct answer. Solve the answer again from scratch, and then see if you pin point both your mistake and the right answer on your own before verifying it.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 am

thunder 85 wrote:But remember this. When you miss a problem you’ve made two mistakes not one. You rejected the correct answer, and accepted the wrong. Figure why you made both those decisions.

TITCR

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:18 am

Kchuck wrote:
thunder 85 wrote:But remember this. When you miss a problem you’ve made two mistakes not one. You rejected the correct answer, and accepted the wrong. Figure why you made both those decisions.

TITCR

+2 (split between the two of you).

Besides taking tons and tons of PTs until it's second nature, there's nothing so fundamental as going back and trying to understand WHY you got something wrong.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”