Unique LSAT Timing Question

flying_squirrel

Unique LSAT Timing Question

Postby flying_squirrel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi, I am in a bit of a conundrum. I am currently finishing up my Masters in Accounting @ OSU and will have the entire summer off before starting a tax position with one of the Big 4 Accounting Firms in September. I am considering trying to squeeze all 4 parts of the CPA exam and LSAT into my schedule this summer.

My question is, if I don't plan on going to law school for at least 2 more years (enter in Fall '12), will it hurt me if I take the June '10 test instead of waiting closer to that time? My logic for taking it this early is that I have always learned best through classroom lecture and know that once I start my job, I will be working waaay to many hours to squeeze in Testmasters or Powerscore live courses. I got a 157 on the Oct. '08 LSAT w/ very minimal studying and graduated undergrad with a 3.97 (triple major in 3 yrs).

I would be very happy going to OSU for L-School if I got a full-ride or would consider a T-14 w/ decent scholly money. If neither of those happen, it would be hard justifying passing up a guaranteed salary to go into debt & have a shot @ getting a pay raise. Either way, I would want to come back to Columbus after L-School.

Thoughts?

Mr. Pablo

Re: Unique LSAT Timing Question

Postby Mr. Pablo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:51 pm

You don't really need a course. You can study at home with the practice tests from LSAC and the books from your preferred prep company. I worked a full time job and studied, I bet that you are capable of the same.

edit: I don't have anything to say about that other stuff.
Last edited by Mr. Pablo on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LongueFrappe

Postby LongueFrappe » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Why the rush if you don't plan on going to law school for at least 2 years? You should probably start getting familiar with the mechanics of the LSAT. Time is on your side and you don't necessarily have to take a prep class for quite a while. Why not try a bit of self studying and see how you progress. You have the benefits of not trying to cram judging by your time frame, leaving plenty of time to master the lsat and take it when you feel like you are ready. The answer is quite simple, concentrate on one thing at a time.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:54 pm

CPA exam = harder. Focus on that!

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:44 am

LongueFrappe wrote:Why the rush if you don't plan on going to law school for at least 2 years? You should probably start getting familiar with the mechanics of the LSAT. Time is on your side and you don't necessarily have to take a prep class for quite a while. Why not try a bit of self studying and see how you progress. You have the benefits of not trying to cram judging by your time frame, leaving plenty of time to master the lsat and take it when you feel like you are ready. The answer is quite simple, concentrate on one thing at a time.

flying_squirrel

Postby flying_squirrel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for the input.

Two reasons why I hesitate to wait:

1) I'm a terrible self-studier -- feel that I need the structure of a class & as I stated earlier, it will be impossible for me to take a class while working @ Big 4.

2) Having a solid LSAT score would make me feel a little more secure about my backup plan. Just not sure if it hurts to have a score that's a couple of years old when applying to L-school.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 am

Hey, isn't the CPA exam normally spread out and a few months given to study to each part? If that is true, then I would recommend that you hold off on the LSAT and focus on that solely on the premise that you should perform your best on both, not compromise. I believe in the long run that you will be happy you took the extra time.

thunder 85

Postby thunder 85 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 pm

rx3r wrote:CPA exam = harder. Focus on that!

Not really. But it also depends on what you are trying to make. If you would be happy at Ohio State with close to a full ride, then we aren't talking +175 here. Without looking into it, I would wager its high 160s low 170s (95-98th percentile). It will be hard to study at that level while working, but not having all 4 parts of the CPA completed before starting is pretty much the norm for accounting.

flying_squirrel

Postby flying_squirrel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Good point Thunder.

To break down my logic: While the CPA exam is much more difficult than the LSAT, I only need to be in the top 40ih % to pass each section of the CPA exam. However, in order to "pass" the LSAT, I need to be in the top 5%. That is a huuuge difference!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”