Did all PTs for LSAT, what do I study for Retake?

ljbc03

Did all PTs for LSAT, what do I study for Retake?

Postby ljbc03 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:50 pm

For those of you who went from a 170 to a higher score after retake,
what did you do when you ran out of materials after studying for the first time?

I assume some of you did most of the practice tests to prepare the best way possible for the 1st test. So what did you do upon studying for the retake?

I'm stuck at this hurdle. While logic reasoning i can go over and over and learn something new, the RC and logic games are easy once i've done them a few times, so repeating PTs seems like an inaccurate gauge of my abilities as I continue to study for retake. Pls help.

I still can't finish all of RC and am always pressed for time on LR, so I guess I can start training myself on speed...Any other suggestions?? Anything is helpful.

Thnx!

Shrimps

Re: Did all PTs for LSAT, what do I study for Retake?

Postby Shrimps » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm not sure what the extent of their differences is (just browsed through some prep materials once), but GMAT contains both reading comprehension and logical reasoning-type questions as well.

You could try going through the actual GMAT tests if you find them similar enough (just skip the math and grammar parts - or see if there are any "grouped by type" books available for this test so you wouldn't have to bother with entire tests).

P.S. I hate logic games

ljbc03

Postby ljbc03 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:52 am

Yes, I think I'm going to try looking at other tests and then maybe some test preps that make up their own questions. I still believe though that the real material is best for prep, but it'll be good to have some new material to keep things fresh!

Thanks for feedback.

By the way--for logic games, the key is really practice. I was awful at them during my first diagnostic and I'm natural a more reading/linguistic person than numbers/patterns. BUT, logic games is now my strongest section, mostly -0 and -1, although I think I messed up on a few during the Feb LSAT due to stress, or that they were a little tricky (a number of people thought the third game was unusually tiresome...). Needless to say, it is something you can master if you sit down and just drill urself on them for a few days. You start to see patterns and can almost guess questions before they come up because you start to become so comfortable with the variables and how they interact based on prior problems.

Doing them untimed first helps so u can understand, then the more you do, the quicker it naturally becomes. Then apply time restrictions. Good luck!

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 am

do them again.

thunder 85

Postby thunder 85 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:05 pm

ljbc03 wrote:For those of you who went from a 170 to a higher score after retake,
what did you do when you ran out of materials after studying for the first time?

I assume some of you did most of the practice tests to prepare the best way possible for the 1st test. So what did you do upon studying for the retake?

I'm stuck at this hurdle. While logic reasoning i can go over and over and learn something new, the RC and logic games are easy once i've done them a few times, so repeating PTs seems like an inaccurate gauge of my abilities as I continue to study for retake. Pls help.

I still can't finish all of RC and am always pressed for time on LR, so I guess I can start training myself on speed...Any other suggestions?? Anything is helpful.

Thnx!

If you are having trouble meeting your goals and have gone through every single PT then I would say you need to think about changing the methods more so than focusing on practice volume. I would think about looking at other prep guides than the ones you’ve used (if you started with power score, pick up Kaplan, specially for LR as I feel that’s their strongest point).

For additional RC you can do the GMAT, for additional logic games you can look at some older Kaplan LG specific materials and also some less well known books. Some of them used to write their own games rather than pay for the license.

But really, reputation takes you so far, and if you’ve done all 64 PTs then you’ve put in almost 150 hours of work on test taking alone, not even review.

skip james

Postby skip james » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 pm

ljbc03 wrote:For those of you who went from a 170 to a higher score after retake,

Thnx!

I did what you did, essentially, and when I took my first test and had only 1 fresh test left for my retake. I scored a 172 initially, and for my retake, I was forced to redo tests that I had already taken since I had no choice in the matter, but I made it a point to emphasize consistency and efficiency to my applications of tools to solve problems. I practiced negating, drawing conditional diagrams quickly, learned to interpret difficult and more complicated sentences into a simpler form more quickly. I practiced identifying flaws, looking for elements in the stimulus that I could have paid more attention to for quicker identification.

Also, I zoned in on RC, since that was my weakness. I reverse-engineering passages, looking at wrong answers and identifying the part of the passage that the wrong answer was derived from. I found that wrong answers tend to take elements from the passage but modify them so that it addressed something other than what it should have been addressing. I looked to identify how the wrong answers were made wrong and what sorts of subtleties where employed in making them wrong to begin with. I tried to pinpoint the general parts of the passages where both wrong and right answers where generated so that when I would read a passage, I would be paying closer attention to areas likely to generate a correct answer for me. I also worked on lots and lots of most-strongly-supported question types, and MBT types from LR, since the same skills to derive correct answers there would be used again in RC.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to make every effort to pinpoint precise elements to work on and then to practice them until it is a second nature to you. Using the tools you have at your disposal to get a correct answer should become so natural that it is as natural as breathing.

FreeGuy

Postby FreeGuy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Neelio wrote:do them again.

+1

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”