Too slow on logic games. Any advice?

utswdukie80

Re: Too slow on logic games. Any advice?

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Well, all I can say is this method worked for me (with time to spare). I could quickly diagnose which games would be hard for me (I found games with a lot of conditional rules to be difficult) so I saved that one for last.

letsdoit1982 wrote:
utswdukie80 wrote:First, most people would get them all right given unliimited time, the key is speed. I went from a -12 on the diagnostic to a -2 on the LSAT (and both were stupid mistakes). These are the things I found the most helpful (most courtesy of TPR): 1) Do the easiest game(s) first, that way you have more time for the harder games, 2) identify what type of game it is (IN/OUT, Ordering, etc.), that will aid you tremendously in the set-up 3) answer the questions in each game in the following order: grab-a-rule (first question), specific questions (if..then), general and finally change-a-rule, 4) make sure your diagram is set-up properly and you've deduced as many inferences as you can 5) once you have what you think is the right answer, pick it and move on. As someone else already said, don't waste time proving your answer or disproving others. There's only one right anwer, when you have it move on.

Of course, those are all speed/test-taking skills, to develop those you have no choice but to practice. Make several copies of each game, work one, then come back to it again several days/weeks later and work it again.

I think this would waste a bunch of time because you don't know how hard a game is until you've read set up and the rules. If you realize that it's a hard game and decide to skip it, you then have to reread at least part of the game when you come back to it.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Photo copy game sections and do them over and over and over again. Also try being extremely organized and neat so you dont get confused.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Photo copy game sections and do them over and over and over again. Also try being extremely organized and neat so you dont get confused.

+1

it's good to redo the games so you can spot new things. this is also in pithypike's guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

Shrimps

Postby Shrimps » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:32 pm

That could be very useful, come to think of it. Doing every game er.. thricely is probably going to be very useful for my basic set-up skills.

Shrimps

Postby Shrimps » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 pm

letsdoit1982 wrote:When I was taking PTs, it seemed like the semi-recent tests (tests earlier than PT52) did not have any hard games. However, the more recent tests have thrown in a curve ball (i.e., the bus game, Dinos, etc.).

Dinos was a surprisingly simple game, actually. They just throw a lot of perfectly unnecessary stuff at you to confuse you (colors other than mauve, the red stegosaurus, etc.)

What PT is the bus game from? I want to do it.

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Shrimps wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:When I was taking PTs, it seemed like the semi-recent tests (tests earlier than PT52) did not have any hard games. However, the more recent tests have thrown in a curve ball (i.e., the bus game, Dinos, etc.).

Dinos was a surprisingly simple game, actually. They just throw a lot of perfectly unnecessary stuff at you to confuse you (colors other than mauve, the red stegosaurus, etc.)

What PT is the bus game from? I want to do it.

I believe it's from the sept/oct administration of 2008.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Also don't spend time debating whether u should do a hypothetical if you ask yourself if u should or not just do it.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:56 pm

Practice makes perfect.

gustrock

Postby gustrock » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:58 pm

when ur not studying, do sudokus. when ur not doing sudokus, study.

ps. get the logic games set up guide

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Atlas LSAT Teacher wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote: It's true that inferences are important but the last couple LSATs have really made it clear that LSAC is gearing the LG section now towards being a majority plug and chug section, so you just have to be extremely fast.

Interesting, I haven't noticed that. Maybe you mean there aren't as many "cascades" of inferences. Can you give some examples of games that you think are really plug and chug games?

Oh sorry
You guys wont have the february lsat to study from
there were just a majority of questions that required you to plug in options to discover the answer rather than allow you to infer most of the answers as past lsats have allowed
i usually get all lg questions right and with a couple minutes left. NOT how i felt (and how it seems 99% of test takers felt) on the february lsat. It simply didnt allow for many quick answer questions.
So practice going FAST on LG and you should be fine.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”