What should my cutoff be for retaking?

ConsideringLawSchool
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:51 am

rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I still think 180 gets the attention of Adcoms in a unique way, but I could be wrong. On the other hand, I don't think that a 4 hour test should really open the same doors for me that 4 years of hard academic work did for others. I have absolutely no regrets--especially if I can won that distinction of the most interesting application Harvard ever rejected :-)


You aren't getting HLS. But Chi or CLS might bite on 3.25/180.

MVPDNC don't care about retakes, so go for 180.


Other posters are being excessively optimistic. Sub-3.5 is a very tough road at CCN regardless of LSAT, and pretty much a straight-up no-go at YHS. See: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

In your shoes, I wouldn't retake anything 172 or over. YHSCCN is such a long shot with a 3.2x it's not worth the effort to retake. Maybe a 175+ would get you some money at MVPDNCG? I have no idea why that would be the case though...



Do you think Chicago would bite with 177+ if it were ED?

ConsideringLawSchool
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:36 pm

existenz wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:As of now, based on responses, I think 177 is the highest score I will retake. Anything above is 75th everywhere I am looking. 177 or below and no reason not to take it in June.

Wait, you would retake a 177???

I would say retake a 175 or lower IF you are being honest with yourself on your PTs and truly scoring 177-180s all the time. Have you done PTs in the 40s-50s and had those scores?

Anyway, it's all speculation right now. The day you get your score, go to LSP and LSN (especially LSN) and see what your chances look like. That's the best way to figure out what you should do.


I don't see any reason not to retake a score as long as you've got the confidence that you will not do worse.

I was pretty honest with PTs... strictly timed, done in distracting environments, etc. I did most PTs in the 40s and 50s. I was consistently -0 on LGs, -0/1/2 on LR, and then RC was my weakness. Sometimes -1 but sometimes -3.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby rayiner » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:48 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I still think 180 gets the attention of Adcoms in a unique way, but I could be wrong. On the other hand, I don't think that a 4 hour test should really open the same doors for me that 4 years of hard academic work did for others. I have absolutely no regrets--especially if I can won that distinction of the most interesting application Harvard ever rejected :-)


You aren't getting HLS. But Chi or CLS might bite on 3.25/180.

MVPDNC don't care about retakes, so go for 180.


Other posters are being excessively optimistic. Sub-3.5 is a very tough road at CCN regardless of LSAT, and pretty much a straight-up no-go at YHS. See: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

In your shoes, I wouldn't retake anything 172 or over. YHSCCN is such a long shot with a 3.2x it's not worth the effort to retake. Maybe a 175+ would get you some money at MVPDNCG? I have no idea why that would be the case though...



Do you think Chicago would bite with 177+ if it were ED?


The probability is low enough that I wouldn't retake a 175 on that account. In the '08 cycle, there was only one sub-3.35 on LSN to get accepted into Chicago and he/she was a URM.

ConsideringLawSchool
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:19 pm

rayiner wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I still think 180 gets the attention of Adcoms in a unique way, but I could be wrong. On the other hand, I don't think that a 4 hour test should really open the same doors for me that 4 years of hard academic work did for others. I have absolutely no regrets--especially if I can won that distinction of the most interesting application Harvard ever rejected :-)


You aren't getting HLS. But Chi or CLS might bite on 3.25/180.

MVPDNC don't care about retakes, so go for 180.


Other posters are being excessively optimistic. Sub-3.5 is a very tough road at CCN regardless of LSAT, and pretty much a straight-up no-go at YHS. See: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/


Do you think Chicago would bite with 177+ if it were ED?


The probability is low enough that I wouldn't retake a 175 on that account. In the '08 cycle, there was only one sub-3.35 on LSN to get accepted into Chicago and he/she was a URM.


I would be very curious how many 178+ LSAT / 3.3- GPA applicants with great softs applied ED. I'd guess the number is quite low, but I don't know.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby rayiner » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:29 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I would be very curious how many 178+ LSAT / 3.3- GPA applicants with great softs applied ED. I'd guess the number is quite low, but I don't know.


I mean if you think 178 versus 175 is going to make a big difference then I'm not going to be able to talk you out of it, I'm just saying it's probably not going to happen.

thsmthcrmnl
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 am

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:42 pm

I was pretty honest with PTs... strictly timed, done in distracting environments, etc. I did most PTs in the 40s and 50s. I was consistently -0 on LGs, -0/1/2 on LR, and then RC was my weakness. Sometimes -1 but sometimes -3.


This describes me pretty closely. At this point I'm thinking that a 175- is a retake. But that's just one guy's two cents.

ConsideringLawSchool
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Want to join me in a pledge not to retake anything over 177? I'll keep you honest if you keep me honest? ;-)

thsmthcrmnl
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 am

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:09 pm

You have my word, internet stranger. Over the 75th at Yale is over the bar for me.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby whitman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:33 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Want to join me in a pledge not to retake anything over 177? I'll keep you honest if you keep me honest? ;-)


You are such a ridiculous person.

ConsideringLawSchool
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:12 am

whitman wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Want to join me in a pledge not to retake anything over 177? I'll keep you honest if you keep me honest? ;-)


You are such a ridiculous person.


Thank you. I've always said that I am ok with any adjectives other than boring

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby $1.99 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:20 am

i agree with the previous post, 180 twice in a row would get you in anywhere (June and October tests)

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:22 am

$1.99 wrote:i agree with the previous post, 180 twice in a row would get you in anywhere (June and October tests)


Only two? Don't you run the risk of making schools believe that you were afraid you wouldn't get 180 the third time? A third 180 could at least get you off some waitlists...

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby TheLuckyOne » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:44 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
$1.99 wrote:i agree with the previous post, 180 twice in a row would get you in anywhere (June and October tests)


Only two? Don't you run the risk of making schools believe that you were afraid you wouldn't get 180 the third time? A third 180 could at least get you off some waitlists...


ROFL :lol:

ConsideringLawSchool
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: What should my cutoff be for retaking?

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:28 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
$1.99 wrote:i agree with the previous post, 180 twice in a row would get you in anywhere (June and October tests)


Only two? Don't you run the risk of making schools believe that you were afraid you wouldn't get 180 the third time? A third 180 could at least get you off some waitlists...


hmm, well, I guess I'll have to wait a couple years to apply given the three tries rule... Alas, I'm in no hurry.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jumpman0703, NavyNuke, sethnoorzad, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests