LSAT classes, enough on their own

uncjtd20

LSAT classes, enough on their own

Postby uncjtd20 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:56 pm

If someone were to take the Kaplan LSAT classes in May without any other preparation do you think it would be wise to take the LSAT in June? In other words, is taking an LSAT class enough preparation in itself? My friend is trying to decide if he wants to take LSAT classes or study independently over a longer period of time...he is also aiming for something in the upper 160s.

memaha

Re: LSAT classes, enough on their own

Postby memaha » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:01 pm

uncjtd20 wrote:If someone were to take the Kaplan LSAT classes in May without any other preparation do you think it would be wise to take the LSAT in June? In other words, is taking an LSAT class enough preparation in itself? My friend is trying to decide if he wants to take LSAT classes or study independently over a longer period of time...he is also aiming for something in the upper 160s.

Just one month of studying? I would not suggest that. Especially if he is aiming for something in the upper 160s. If he were one of those people that could sit down and hit 170+ without studying, then go ahead and just do one month. But if he is aiming for 160s and only working on the LSAT for a month, I think it will be highly likely that he will regret this choice after he gets his score.

If he just wanted to take the course, I would aim to take one that is stretched out for a longer period of time, only to make sure he is truly exposed to the LSAT question types and such. Also if he is just thinking about taking the course, he definitely should be looking at ALL the extra resources the course provides (be it PTs, extra sections, extra questions...)

I'm not trying to be harsh or blunt here, I just know if I had taken only one month to study, I would not be a happy camper right now. Hope this helps!

haole_20

Postby haole_20 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm

I took the Princeton Review course and having never really studied before that I increased my score by 10 points during the class. I think that a course can definitely be enough preparation as long as you stay on top of all the homework. This particular PR course lasted about 7 or 8 weeks.

skynet

Postby skynet » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:19 pm

month-long courses can only help if the student has about 30 -40 hours/week outside of class to study. otherwise, I'd say 10-12 weeks is ideal. But yeah, Princeton Review's long course (24 class sessions + 6 tests) is fantastic.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Another voice in the chorus: it's scary to prep for the LSAT in a month. For a few people, that's enough time. For most, it's not. You don't know until you start preparing which category you fall into.

2-4 months is more normal.

yung

Postby yung » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:38 pm

an LSAT class on its own is enough if you actually study and do ALL the work they tell you to do. However in your post u said taking the class in MAY and then taking to LSAT in june, that might not be such a good idea. A full length course is usually 2-3 months.

uncjtd20

Postby uncjtd20 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:59 pm

So from what I gather, there's a consensus that taking the three month LSAT course offered by, say, Princeton Review would be much preferred to the month long? Another question: Would it be wise to take the LSAT classes and then take the next available LSAT? For example, start taking LSAT classes in August -> End LSAT classes October 5th -> Take the LSAT October 9th? Or would it be better to take the LSAT classes earlier in order to have some time for independent review before the actual test?

haole_20

Postby haole_20 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:55 pm

I would definitely recommend taking the LSAT immediately following the course. Everyone is different but I know it would have been difficult for me to stay motivated after the class was over. That's actually one of the most important benefits of the class: it kind of holds you accountable to stay on top of your studying. I doubt you would ever be more prepared for the test than you will be immediately following your PR or Kaplan course.

crislaw

Postby crislaw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Please, whatever you do, AVOID KAPLAN. They aim to prepare you to score in the 150-160's. By far the worst experience I have ever had. Milk them for their books,esp Mastery if you can. PithyPike knows what's up!

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:04 pm

crislaw wrote:Please, whatever you do, AVOID KAPLAN. They aim to prepare you to score in the 150-160's. By far the worst experience I have ever had. Milk them for their books,esp Mastery if you can. PithyPike knows what's up!

I think all programs prepare u for the 150s-160s. Kaplan does offer a an "advanced class" for like 164s and up. Honestly, the instructor makes or breaks the class.

Why are people always asking for their friend?

taw856

Postby taw856 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Take a diagnostic as a starting point.

I would think it'd be obvious: How much time you'll need to prepare will be significantly different if your diagnostic is a 170 than if your diagnostic is a 130.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Although different methods work for different people, from my experience KAPLAN is great for learning the fundamentals and inside tips (especially if you have a good teacher). After that I would take as many timed practice tests as you possibly can (give priority to the most recent). In my case the largest point jump came after taking a bunch of practice tests.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:12 pm

uncjtd20 wrote:So from what I gather, there's a consensus that taking the three month LSAT course offered by, say, Princeton Review would be much preferred to the month long? Another question: Would it be wise to take the LSAT classes and then take the next available LSAT? For example, start taking LSAT classes in August -> End LSAT classes October 5th -> Take the LSAT October 9th? Or would it be better to take the LSAT classes earlier in order to have some time for independent review before the actual test?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier;

I took the month long course and didn't learn a thing. The three month long course is only a bit more expensive and way more thorough.

crislaw

Postby crislaw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:23 pm

jack duluoz wrote:
crislaw wrote:Please, whatever you do, AVOID KAPLAN. They aim to prepare you to score in the 150-160's. By far the worst experience I have ever had. Milk them for their books,esp Mastery if you can. PithyPike knows what's up!

I think all programs prepare u for the 150s-160s. Kaplan does offer a an "advanced class" for like 164s and up. Honestly, the instructor makes or breaks the class.

Why are people always asking for their friend?

Yes, Jack is right, it really is all about the instructor. BEWARE OF KAPLAN SAN FRANCISCO!!

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:27 pm

for me, one month of class/practice did very little. it brought my practice scores up about five points but my actual score was the exact same as my diagnostic.

it took another 2 months of intense pratice/retaking the class after that to reach an 11 point jump.

timshel

Postby timshel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 pm

one month of prep got me nowhere with kaplan. i started at a 154, but after 4 months with kaplan, i threw down a 165 on test day. their books are incredible for practice tests. i also liked using powerscore games bible.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:46 pm

real improvement comes from the work you do on your own - don't depend on a course to do the work for you. for a top score you should get the powerscore bibles and self study. if you want the kaplan books you can get them online even if you don't take the course since people who took the course resell them

fyi some of the course instructors for kaplan havent even taken a real lsat or scored in the 170s themselves.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”