Powerscore Class Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Knock

Platinum

Powerscore Class

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Anyone got a website link? I'm looking to take an in-person class for the June test.

toolshed

Bronze

Re: Powerscore Class

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm fighting the urge to post a lmgtfy link.

Try http://www.powerscore.com.

HTH

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:59 pm

toolshed wrote:I'm fighting the urge to post a lmgtfy link.

HTH
I'll do it for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=powerscore+lsat+prep
lol :P

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:07 pm

HTH
Thanks guys.

I did the course locate, and nothing is within 50 miles of my zip code, it only returned Virtual/online courses. So does this mean i'm out of luck?

Are the online courses worth anything? I already own all 3 powerscore bibles.

should I look for other courses? I don't want to re-learn a LG system though if I take a non-powerscore class...

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Knockglock wrote:

HTH
Thanks guys.

I did the course locate, and nothing is within 50 miles of my zip code, it only returned Virtual/online courses. So does this mean i'm out of luck?

should I look for other courses? I don't want to re-learn a LG system though if I take a non-powerscore class...
What area are you in? They will generally only add a new course in a new area if there is sufficient interest to justify the cost. That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to e-mail/call and let them know that you are in City X and were interested in a course, and ask if they had plans of developing one there.

THere are also the weekend courses that would be easier to commute to, since they are only two days. However, these are not nearly as comprehensive, and probably should be used more for a kick-off to studying or as a review as you near the test.

Finally, you can always request a tutoring package. If you have been studying a bit on your own (especially the Bibles), you can get your tutor to focus your package on your weak areas. With a little bit of legwork ahead of time, I think the tutoring packages can offer the best bang for your buck, since you aren't forced to go a a certain pace and re-cover stuff that you already know.

Edit: I don't know a lot about the fully online courses, with the exception of the online modules that you get access to when you buy the full-length course. Those online modules are pretty good, they are essentially videos of the in-class instruction...you just can't ask a direct question because ther isn't a live teacher in front of you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

toolshed wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

HTH
Thanks guys.

What area are you in? They will generally only add a new course in a new area if there is sufficient interest to justify the cost. That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to e-mail/call and let them know that you are in City X and were interested in a course, and ask if they had plans of developing one there.

THere are also the weekend courses that would be easier to commute to, since they are only two days. However, these are not nearly as comprehensive, and probably should be used more for a kick-off to studying or as a review as you near the test.

Finally, you can always request a tutoring package. If you have been studying a bit on your own (especially the Bibles), you can get your tutor to focus your package on your weak areas. With a little bit of legwork ahead of time, I think the tutoring packages can offer the best bang for your buck, since you aren't forced to go a a certain pace and re-cover stuff that you already know.

Edit: I don't know a lot about the fully online courses, with the exception of the online modules that you get access to when you buy the full-length course. Those online modules are pretty good, they are essentially videos of the in-class instruction...you just can't ask a direct question because ther isn't a live teacher in front of you.
So you would recommend a tutoring package? Would they send a tutor out here or what? or do they have tutors everywhere lol. What do you think about this strategy then: study on my own, figure out what my weaknesses are, and then get the tutor package to iron out those weaknesses?

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Knockglock wrote:
So you would recommend a tutoring package? Would they send a tutor out here or what? or do they have tutors everywhere lol. What do you think about this strategy then: study on my own, figure out what my weaknesses are, and then get the tutor package to iron out those weaknesses?
If there is a tutor within a reasonable distance from you (and there generally is, depending on where you are), then the tutor and you will work something out...whether that means you traveling to them, vice-versa, or meeting somewhere in the middle. And yes, I would go through the Bibles and do a few Prep Tests to assess what your strengths and weaknesses are, so that if/when you get the tutoring package you can just tell the tutor "I really need to work on Assumption questions", or "I need some help with Grouping Logic Games". That will be much more cost and time efficient than just starting from scratch with a tutor. THe Powerscore tutor is going to use the methods from the Bibles, but he/she should be able to take you to a deeper understanding.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:44 pm

toolshed wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
If there is a tutor within a reasonable distance from you (and there generally is, depending on where you are), then the tutor and you will work something out...whether that means you traveling to them, vice-versa, or meeting somewhere in the middle. And yes, I would go through the Bibles and do a few Prep Tests to assess what your strengths and weaknesses are, so that if/when you get the tutoring package you can just tell the tutor "I really need to work on Assumption questions", or "I need some help with Grouping Logic Games". That will be much more cost and time efficient than just starting from scratch with a tutor. THe Powerscore tutor is going to use the methods from the Bibles, but he/she should be able to take you to a deeper understanding.
Okay, thank you very much!

what do you think about this study schedule:
(X) LG Bible
(working on it) LG grouped by type in PT 19-38
(_) LR Bible (continue practicing the difficult LG from PT 19-38)
(_) LR grouped by type PT 19-38 (continue practicing the difficult LG from PT 19-38)
(_) RC Bible (continue practicing the difficult LG and LR from PT 19-38)
(_) RC (grouped by type?) from PT 19-38 (continue practicing the difficult LG and LR from PT 19-38)
(_) a few PT's (maybe 39-43 or something) or maybe SuperPrep A,B,C?
(_) identify weaknesses
(_) tutor to correct weaknesses
(_) PT 44-59 whole timed

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Knockglock wrote:
toolshed wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Okay, thank you very much!

what do you think about this study schedule:
(X) LG Bible
(working on it) LG grouped by type in PT 19-38
(_) LR Bible (continue practicing the difficult LG from PT 19-38)
(_) LR grouped by type PT 19-38 (continue practicing the difficult LG from PT 19-38)
(_) RC Bible (continue practicing the difficult LG and LR from PT 19-38)
(_) RC (grouped by type?) from PT 19-38 (continue practicing the difficult LG and LR from PT 19-38)
(_) a few PT's (maybe 39-43 or something) or maybe SuperPrep A,B,C?
(_) identify weaknesses
(_) tutor to correct weaknesses
(_) PT 44-59 whole timed
I think that would be a good approach. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Avoid Powerscore like the plague. The classes are useless (at least half the time is spent reading aloud like you were in elementary school, I kid you not) and once they have your money you cannot get any of it back no matter what happens to your class. (instructor not showing up, problems with the facilities being available, etc.)

Again, save your money.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 pm

primusux wrote:Avoid Powerscore like the plague. The classes are useless (at least half the time is spent reading aloud like you were in elementary school, I kid you not) and once they have your money you cannot get any of it back no matter what happens to your class. (instructor not showing up, problems with the facilities being available, etc.)

Again, save your money.
Wrong.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:07 pm

primusux wrote:Avoid Powerscore like the plague. The classes are useless (at least half the time is spent reading aloud like you were in elementary school, I kid you not) and once they have your money you cannot get any of it back no matter what happens to your class. (instructor not showing up, problems with the facilities being available, etc.)

Again, save your money.
I did the virtual course so I don't know about the reading aloud thing but I think PowerScore was pretty good. I'd recommend them.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:22 pm

TonyDigital wrote:

Again, save your money.
I did the virtual course so I don't know about the reading aloud thing but I think PowerScore was pretty good. I'd recommend them.
did you think the virtual course was worth the money? what was your opinion of it?

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Knockglock wrote:
TonyDigital wrote: I did the virtual course so I don't know about the reading aloud thing but I think PowerScore was pretty good. I'd recommend them.
did you think the virtual course was worth the money? what was your opinion of it?
For me, it was definitely worth the money. But maybe I'm in a different category than you because I self-studied, took the June LSAT and wasn't happy with my score. That's when I signed up for the PS online class.

I believe I already knew a lot of the material but the online class helped me organize everything in my head. I improved 8 pts when I took the Sept test. And even though I don't think I learned much more than I already knew coming into the class, I think the class was well worth it for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”