Informal Logic- A Handbook for Log Arg by Douglas Walton

MysticalWheel

Informal Logic- A Handbook for Log Arg by Douglas Walton

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Hello guys- I'm looking to purchase the book of the same title as this topic but it seems that Amazon.com has 2 editions of the book, one published in 1989 and one published much more recently. The 1989 edition is the one with all of the reviews and popularity that accompany this book, so I'm leaning towards it in my decision but was nevertheless wondering if anyone had specific information regarding the differences between the two and whether I would be fine off by simply purchasing the 1989 edition.

Btw, this is all intended for LSAT prep. Thanks for any help.

-MW

MysticalWheel

Re: Informal Logic- A Handbook for Log Arg by Douglas Walton

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Fire it up! (I.e., bump it up). Someone on these boards must have heard of this book- it's mentioned quite often. Anyone?

-MW

fw22mk

Postby fw22mk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:16 pm

I have the updated one, but it probably doesn't matter too much, considering the logic content can't really change. If you notice, many of those updates generally feature a new preface. It's an interesting read. A lot of these books help in the sense that you can discern flaws in arguments. When I was in TM, I asked about things like ad hom, post hoc, etc. and they didn't seem to get the terms. They used Robin's wording of the fallacies. To me, that was kind of odd. You can punch in "fallacy" and most academic institutions will have a list and examples, which could help. I teach English Comp, so I teach them a lot. Hope this helps you! Check out http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/ for more books.

tsbotros

Postby tsbotros » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:55 pm

I really didn't find the book that useful for the lsat. The powerscore bibles are much more specific to the lsat logic.

fw22mk

Postby fw22mk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Like tsbotros said, not sure if it will help much for the LSAT specifically, but it's a good read if you need a break from LSAT materials.

Forcier

Postby Forcier » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:05 pm

I've been reading it since the Feb test since I'm having a hard time studying hard core for the June test until I confirm I did poorly.

That being said I think it helps RC more than anything. At least it's giving me a break from hardcore bible studying and PTs

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”